News   Apr 26, 2024
 521     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

2019 Canadian Federal Election

Elizabeth May is stepping down as Green Party leader

From link.

May says she promised daughter 2019 election would be her last as party leader

Federal Green Party Leader Elizabeth May is stepping down as party leader.

Speaking to reporters in Ottawa Monday, May said that she is leaving the post she has held since 2006, effective today.

May said she will continue to sit as a member of Parliament and will be the party's parliamentary caucus leader.

May said she promised her daughter that the 2019 election would be her last at the party's helm.

The B.C. MP said she felt comfortable stepping aside from the role now because the party is in a good position after a solid performance in the recent election campaign.

"We achieved more than one million votes for the first time ever," May said. "As I look around the world ... there is no other country with first-past-the-post that has achieved what we've achieved."

After years of May as the lone Green MP in the House of Commons, the Green Party caucus grew to three members in last month's election.

While the party achieved the best electoral result in its history last month, some observers had predicted the Greens would pick up even more seats given how many voters were saying climate change was a major issue for them.

When asked if she should have stepped aside sooner, May said she remains a "popular leader" and the party faced head winds in the last election because of some unspecified "dirty tricks." May has accused the NDP of spreading misinformation in fliers handed out across Vancouver Island.

Former journalist Jo-Ann Roberts will serve as the party's interim leader. May said the party will hold a leadership vote in October 2020 at a convention in Charlottetown, P.E.I.

As a Greenie (I made that up, just go with it), I'm fully about this.
I like May. She's a good person and a great example to the children in Parliament (most of the other MPs, if you didn't catch that).

That being said, it's time for someone new.

I think I'm going to get a membership again so I can vote in the leadership contest.

Kinda stoked. Hope the next leader is something like Churchill x dirty hippie x classical liberal economist.

I would love it if Mike Schreiner makes a bid for federal leadership and attempts to win the Greens a seat in Guelph. If he doesn't win the seat, he could slide in to Elizabeth May's old riding on Vancouver Island.

Last edited:
She flamed out in the leadership race with her Trumpism and the party shunned her. Also remember that she decided not to run again after getting a primary challenge of sorts. I don't care what her medical credentials are when it comes to her conduct as an MP.

West had representation in the federal gov't in 2015. The demands of the west were to approve the 3 pipelines (TMP, Kittimat, and Energy East). Instead they got 2 of 3 cancelled and the other delayed. They also got Bill 48 that bogs down any resource development, and Bill 69, the anti-tanker law. If this is what representation gets you - may as well turf them and have opposition representation that actually cares about the province.
The west had an adopted-Albertan as PM and a Conservative Government for over a decade under Harper. But the Cons built no pipelines either. Why do Albertans think a Con government would be any better for them?

And why does the "west" stop at the Alberta-BC border? Why are BC's nearly 5 million residents somehow defined by Alberta's 4 million? I'd say Ottawa should wash their hands of this, and tell BC and Alberta to sort out a deal. Labrador gave access to Quebec for hydro, Ottawa played no part.

And where is Alberta's revenue from the last 80 years of petroleum extraction? Blown on an expanded civil service and wasted by a lack of a provincial sales tax. This place should have a massive legacy fund.

What happened to Alberta’s cash stash: The life and death of the province’s rainy-day fund

Last edited:
I looool every time I think about their petroleum savings stash and how it's been squandered. Especially when I'm reminded of Norway's.

Speaking of which, where is the quality of life better: Alberta or Norway?

Have your cake and eat it too....just try not to choke on the crumbs you insist on also hoovering up.

Back