News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 376     0 

2019 Canadian Federal Election

Someone once said that Canada is a nation held together by bribery.
Did someone pay you to write that? :cool:

As to May coalescing with Trudeau, this is realism as opposed to fundamentalism in politics. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend". It wins wars. But there's something much more subtle going on there, and I've had a running argument with a friend on this who just can't accept any criticism against Trudeau (who is a real disappointment in many ways, don't get me started): If the Libs are destined to go into opposition alone next election, then the adage of "don't waste your vote" no longer pertains...so logic allows you to vote for the *other party* in a coalition that could then form the government.

I'll wait until tomorrow's announcement before going any further on this point. And also bear in mind that a "coalition" doesn't have to be rigid and absolute. It can be an agreed voting bloc with Independents aligned to retain their independence, and thus no whip, but to block a common nemesis from forming the government.

The UK is clearly witness to this right now with the "Independent Group" that has both Labour and Conservatives. Even though of a very similar stance to the Lib-Dem Party, (which is also on a big rise as the two big parties fracture) there is no movement to merge. They don't need to, the join they make the same cause in Parliament. Something more formal might gel later.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Change_UK

Next day or so should prove interesting in Cdn politics.

How Green is my Valley?

Last edited:
I am now convinced that the PPC isn't going to be a factor. They are picking crank candidates in nominally safe CPC ridings.

https://ricochet.media/en/2631/are-jody-wilson-raybould-and-jane-philpott-going-green

The Green party makes sense.
Excellent article btw! I've forwarded that to a few people since it makes my case without my having to put it into words.

^ My "Lib-Dem" reference prior post is a rough analog to Canada's NDP (which is also about to fracture, as it should) without the union/labour ideology. The UK Labour Party (not surprisingly) embodies the union stance, much to its detriment at this point in time on Brexit.

What is common all around in a number of nations is not only the rise of parties on the extreme, but also the non-ideological centre desperate for representation in a Party or Coalition.

This is what is now emerging in a number of nations, and Canada is about to see it flower. A pocket full of poses (sic )...
A rosy rash, they allege, was a symptom of the plague, and posies of herbs were carried as protection and to ward off the smell of the disease. ... The plague explanation did not appear until the mid-twentieth century.
Ring a Ring o' Roses - Wikipedia
And a Pox on all their Houses! (Save the One at Centre!) The Green one...

It's either part of our heritage or part of partisan politics. Someone once said that Canada is a nation held together by bribery.
In Canada, there's power and money.

Atlantic and West give up power to Ontario and Quebec.
West and Ontario give up money to Quebec and Atlantic.

3/4 of the country is happy with this arrangement.

In Canada, there's power and money.

Atlantic and West give up power to Ontario and Quebec.
West and Ontario give up money to Quebec and Atlantic.

3/4 of the country is happy with this arrangement.

Alberta's grievances need to be taken more seriously though. Quebec constantly puts its thumbs on the scale, whether it be in blocking oil line capacity, excluding hydro potential from being counted in equalization, blocking English school boards from receiving immigrant students (and then seizing their schools), or even shielding large corporations and agricultural concerns in their province. Good for them, but bad for Canada.

It only takes a divergence of values and a long-held grievance to be emotionally promulgated through society by media and the government for a generation, and then you've suddenly got a separatist problem at hand. You can sort of see how these movements emerged in Quebec, Catalonia and Scotland over the last century (and in the case of Scotland, in the years after Thatcher). It only takes a small minority to push a cause- indeed, most Algerians supported or at least tolerated the French until a series of serious blunders in the immediate post-war period caused their loyalties to shift.

With a perceivably Quebec-friendly Liberal government in power, the UAP is in the position to constantly bang on the war-drums whenever it encounters a problem, much like how Ford uses the Carbon Tax as a scapegoat. That being said, the media will play a crucial role in this, and hopefully media will be more impartial. Regardless, the Americans will likely keep an eye on this, especially if it goes anywhere- a weak, divided Canada is good for America.

It means that it's easier to run slipshod over Canada in terms of business and other issues of sovereignty.

If it means that if Canada can't get past its regional squabblings (which is still far more pronounced than in the US) and be able to advance national projects like a energy strategy that reduces its reliance on Americans or even national defense and development plans for the Arctic, it means that we end up inadvertently being even more reliant on the Americans by virtue of proximity and size. Despite its democratic rhetoric, the US plays to win, like China- and it has done so with Canada in the past.

This further creates a set of second-level effects which usually result in them having further leverage over our economy- which can mean anything from unilaterally strong-handed trade dealings (i.e. what happened with Trump forcing tariffs, the US's softwood shenanigans), being forever a branch plan economy (i.e. Ontario with its auto industry), and to being forced to perform at a disadvantage (oil industry forced to sell crude at a discount because of export capacity).

In the future, this may even result in issues of sovereignty, as the the Northwest passage will become an American concern as it opens up.

Did someone pay you to write that? :cool:

No, I actually recall hearing it (or at least I think I did) but couldn't find any reference for attribution or accuracy. I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad thing. .From the Pacific Scandal to shipbuilding contracts to equalization payments, it's been a method of both political expediency and a way to even out regional disparities. At least a kid in rural Newfoundland can get an education that reasonably approximates downtown Toronto and not end up being like the Canadian version of Mississippi. We are certainly not alone in doing it.

I think Raybould has a very good shot out west, although I'm not as sure about Philpott.

I'm very surprised Raybould isn't running for the Greens, I thought it was a sure thing.

I think Raybould has a very good shot out west, although I'm not as sure about Philpott.

I'm very surprised Raybould isn't running for the Greens, I thought it was a sure thing.
Elizabeth May is totally useless. These 2 were likely poised to join the Greens, doubling the Green numbers and giving them instant credibility - then she said that she could work with Trudeau.

Elizabeth May is totally useless. These 2 were likely poised to join the Greens, doubling the Green numbers and giving them instant credibility - then she said that she could work with Trudeau.

Hopefully the Tories pick up both Vancouver Granville and Markham-Stoufville. It would serve the Liberals (and Greens) right.

With May's earlier musings about working with the Liberals to counter the CPC, I wonder if it is possible that the impasse resulted from their demand that she walk that back. Either that or there was an expectation that aboriginal issues inform all parts of the Green's platform. I say that not knowing their platform, but if they have a hope of being taken as a serious party it needs to be all-encompassing, including issues of trade, defence, fiscal, etc. etc. Aboriginal issues are important but they can't totally drive government policy.

It was prime and ripe, but May stated some odd things, not so much as the following quotes infer, albeit I think @lenaitch was close, if not right, but May's proclamation on pipelines and national energy self-sufficiency violated even New Green realist thinking. May surprised me with that. Not the concept so much, that could have been honed, but the details were practicably and technically not possible. Quebec already imports more bitumen than needed from out West, and doesn't need more. It's light oil that's needed, albeit even that gets a bit complicated. But the *business case* just isn't there to finance a pipeline, all other climate and environmental issues besides. I can guarantee that May has caused a schism within the Green Party. Schreiner, albeit provincial branch, certainly wouldn't have put such an idea forward. And to top it all off, Quebec announced just today:
Legault announces plan to electrify Quebec's economy, reduce oil
May's timing couldn't be worse. As Independents, Raybould and Philpott can vote as a 'bloc' with the Greens, but not be betrothed to them.
then she said that she could work with Trudeau.
To make it that simplistic misses the point. That part is sheer pragmatism. It was her truly odd energy blurt that got her out of her depth.
I wonder if it is possible that the impasse resulted from their demand that she walk that back.
Interviews with both Raybould and Philpott don't give any hint of that. I think on reflection, R&P realized that could do anything that joining the Greens would do for them without being 'under contract' to the Party. To paraphrase JWR: "I'm just not a Party person" and P agreed that applied to her too.

At the very least, this is an 'experiment' for Cdn federal politics. JWR is a very strong woman, I find her very strangely attractive, in a Mona Lisa kind of way, matched by intellect and experience. She'll do fine, polls in her riding put her way ahead. Philpott? The odds are a lot tougher, but we'll see.

Let's flip something over for a moment: If you were 'loose' in political attachment, but savvy and compelled, who would you gravitate toward to form an alliance? May or JWR? It's a no-brainer for me. Hopefully JWR's inertia can keep Philpott above water for this next election, and just like the UK has witnessed, a new 'Independent Group' (not an official Party) can start to flourish. It's a century late, but it has to happen.

Change UK - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Change_UK
Change UK – The Independent Group is a centrist, pro-European Union political party in the United Kingdom. Founded in 2019, it is led by Heidi Allen. It has 11 Members of Parliament(MPs) in the House of Commons.
European Parliament (UK seats)‎: ‎1 / 73
Political position‎: ‎Centre
European Parliament group‎: ‎European People's ...
Leader‎: ‎Heidi Allen‎ (interim)
History · ‎Reactions · ‎Structure and aims · ‎Members of elected bodies
It's a bloc formed of like-minded Labour and Conservative members, the latter three all women. The template is alive and working in the Westminster Model. Their Parties don't like it, but are fracturing so rapidly that they'd be fools to expel them, and Trudeau's Liberals might just end-up in the same dilemma.

Very interesting developments.

Addendum: Something not openly stated by either JWR or Philpott is the possibility/probability of *migrations* of other Libs and Dippers (The NDP Party already has a schism) to the 'Independent Centrist Cause' in the House. Again, by not being a 'whipped' Party, and not 'formally married' it actually promotes inward migration by the individuals able to remain as such, and accountable only to their electorate.

What a concept...informal discussion could/would take place between the Independents. no matter how close or eccentric the orbit, and decide to vote on like-minded issues as a bloc.

Addendum: And the latest development in the UK

"Lib-Dems" are a rough analogy to the NDP in size and importance in the UK House, without the 'labour' baggage, which of course sits heavy with the Labour Party, which is also fracturing under the Brexit Broo Ha. The 'Parliamentary Model' is evolving...

Here's more, the fractures are spreading fast:

Last edited:

Back