News   Jul 11, 2024
 499     0 

2018 Provincial Election Transit Promises

Wonder what projects Toronto will fund with these

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 1.42.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 1.42.34 PM.png
    130.6 KB · Views: 208
That could fund DRL South, YSNE, Waterfront LRT, and Eglinton East LRT. Exciting!

Relief line is pegged in the $6 billion range, no? YSNE is $5 billionish, and then $1.5 each for Waterfront and Eglinton East..

Also, that is assuming a 30% municipal contribution for all those projects.

That could fund DRL South, YSNE, Waterfront LRT, and Eglinton East LRT. Exciting!

Relief line is pegged in the $6 billion range, no? YSNE is $5 billionish, and then $1.5 each for Waterfront and Eglinton East..

I must stress how much of a mistake opening both DRL South and YSNE would be. The TTC and city knows as much, same for Metrolinx. Just hoping politics don't throw the subway network under the bus for Richmond Hill votes.

It sickens me to know that Smarttrack will get some of those billions that should go to either fund Lawrence East & McCowan Station (subway) or pushing the DRL farther north in Phase 1.

The city is pushing to have its contribution reduced to 20%. If the Feds agrees to fund 40%, then QP has to match the 40% commitment leaving the city with 20%. It's up to the Feds.

Toronto isn't broke, politicians lacks the political will to give the city the revenue tools it needs.

Choo Choo here comes the Relief Line! And likely the Eglinton East LRT as well.

This should be about $8.75 Billion in funding. Relief Line should cost around $7.5 Billion. Hopefully the price doesn't rise too much more.

In $2016, it's $4.417 Billion. But since this funding certainly won't grow to match inflation, Year-of-Expenditure/Escalated$ are a better measure. In that case, it is $6.799 Billion. So I overstated the cost by about a Billion in my previous post.

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 2.00.32 PM.png

Below I've attached the Eglinton East LRT costs. We're looking at $1.674 Billion for that (YOE).

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 2.05.30 PM.png

So the funding announced today should be enough to fund both the Relief Line and Eglinton East LRT in whole with $250 Million to spare (knock on wood). With additional funding from the City, we could probably fund waterfront transit as well (I would not count on this). I don't know how you suppose the YNSE would be funded from this though, unless you mean only the portion south of Steeles.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 2.00.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 2.00.32 PM.png
    277 KB · Views: 316
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 2.05.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 2.05.30 PM.png
    362.5 KB · Views: 316
Ottawa pledges $12 billion for infrastructure for Ontario
OLIVER MOORE
PUBLISHED MARCH 14, 2018UPDATED 28 MINUTES AGO
The federal government is promising billions for Ontario – including nearly $5-billion for Toronto transit – as part of the next tranche of their multi-year plan to fund infrastructure.

Infrastructure Minister Amarjeet Sohi made the pledge Wednesday at a transit facility in Mississauga, to the west of Toronto. The money is set to roll out over the next decade, which could make it subject to at least two more Liberal victories.

“The time to invest is now,” said Mr. Sohi, drawing a parallel with previous nation-building projects such as the trans-continental railway, the Trans-Canada highway and the St. Lawrence Seaway.

“I look forward to seeing the projects that will transform and positively impact our communities for generations to come.”

Ottawa specified that its funding must be matched by the province – at the same event Queen’s Park promised $10-billion for infrastructure – and by municipalities. The decision means that Toronto will need to come up with billions of its own, but that if it can do so it will be able to fund a meaningful transit expansion. [...]
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...es-12-billion-for-infrastructure-for-ontario/

Hey Buddy, spare a $B for an SSE Coffee?

Ottawa pledges $12 billion for infrastructure for Ontario

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...es-12-billion-for-infrastructure-for-ontario/

Hey Buddy, spare a $B for an SSE Coffee?

Ottawa specified that its funding must be matched by the province – at the same event Queen’s Park promised $10-billion for infrastructure – and by municipalities. The decision means that Toronto will need to come up with billions of its own, but that if it can do so it will be able to fund a meaningful transit expansion.

This stipulation that the funding must be matched by the provinces AND municipalities pretty ridiculous since Canadian municipalities collectively generate a tiny share of government revenues in Canada. Provincial governments generate upwards of two-thirds of tax revenue, while municipalities generate less than 10% (the federal government accounts for the rest). For Toronto in particular, generating $5 Billion in revenue in a reasonable time frame (<10 years) will require a massive increase in municipal revenue.

This stipulation that the funding must be matched by the provinces AND municipalities pretty ridiculous since Canadian municipalities collectively generate a tiny share of government revenues in Canada. Provincial governments generate upwards of two-thirds of tax revenue, while municipalities generate less than 10% (the federal government accounts for the rest). For Toronto in particular, generating $5 Billion in revenue in a reasonable time frame (<10 years) will require a massive increase in municipal revenue.
Whether you or I consider it "ridiculous" belies the point: The Feds don't have to fund *anything* that's provincial jurisdiction like transit within the province.

Prove me wrong, cite an Act or directive stating otherwise.

The fault lies with the Province and the City. Frankly, smacking a few councillors sensible might be a good start, but a good smack can't awaken a sensibility that's absent to begin with...

I don't mean it in a good way - but don't expect him to get all cracked up because he is different beast.

AoD

I always thought that Doug was the smarter Ford and the brains behind the operations even before Rob's drug scandals broke.

I think people like to project the worst of his brother's faults on him but some of that may be undeserved.

Sheppard Subway and Crosstown revisited may offend the DRL backers, but it will make trips to the inner suburbs more hospitable for most and that's what matters to me.

The total amount available should be read as 2.5x the federal contribution, on the low side, as the Feds capped their contribution at 40% of each project to my understanding.

That being the case, assuming full uptake of the federal funds, you have $30B available over the next decade. (province wide)

As others have pointed out, this is in actual dollars, rather than inflation-adjusted, meaning there is less that what might otherwise seem to be the case.

The $ committed to Toronto/GTA (including Metrolinx) are $6.2B using the same formula as above this is 15.5B for the GTA.

Assuming these funds could not go to any project that is already tendered or in late-stage procurement. (Finch West LRT, 401 GO Tunnels etc.) There is money to do quite a bit.

The Globe estimates the total Toronto wish list 14B, but that excludes projects outside the 416)

The Toronto-specific funds then seem to be about 12.25B

Leaving the City about 1.75B short over the next decade, before considering cost inflation.

Last edited:

Back