News   Jul 16, 2024
 333     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 502     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 622     2 

2018 Provincial Election Transit Promises

Well we can't gp back to those days, since this suff is no longer cheap and Ontario isn't exactly swimming in cash. Also I think it is silly to compare the PC's of then to the ones that exist today, the PC's of that era would be considered Liberals today (or more accurately "Red Tories"). Unfortunately today's PC party is nothing but Neo-Con and So-Con shitters masquerading as "fiscal conservatives". I mean hell Bill Davis who is pretty much considered the best Premier Ontario has ever had never once balanced a budget in his 14 years at the helm. Also the loss of Metro has dealt a huge blow to Toronto's ability to get projects like these done. Metro practically shat out transit plans every couple of years, yet Toronto today can barely even wipe its own ass without getting into a fight about who gets the Toilet paper. 20 years later the ghost of Mike Harris still haunts this City. The entire Subway (save for the original Yonge line) was planned and built by Metro in its 45 years of existence; yet Toronto which is now 20 years old (nearly half the age of Metro) only has an extension to Vaughan under its belt.

From link.

DdZ287DXUAABEYZ.jpg

Bet that mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper is an illegal immigrant. lol

True.... You, Onecity, coffee1, LA, Jasmine, Streety, Cobra, Sakraycore should all go out and vote for your precious subways. Somehow when I say precious I kind of think of Gollum and his precious ring.
I'm voting NDP so you can keep your assumptions with my name for yourself

Relief Line being the #1 priority and Operating subsidy is good enough for me. Anthing else wouldn't be ready by the end of the mandate regardless

If you, onecity and jasmine want to vote NDP because you want to vote for the winning party after years of supporting Ford on these boards that is on you, not me. I was giving everyone the benefit of the doubt that they would go down with the ship because they have convictions. Apparently you flip flop as much as those liberals you despise
I'm voting NDP so you can keep your assumptions with my name for yourself

Relief Line being the #1 priority and Operating subsidy is good enough for me. Anthing else wouldn't be ready by the end of the mandate regardless

If you, onecity and jasmine want to vote NDP because you want to vote for the winning party after years of supporting Ford on these boards that is on you, not me.
Supporting Ford????? The F you talking about? I actually chose NDP for their social measures and was satisfy with their transit plan.

I don't vote solely on transit platform.

Again, keep my name out of your posts
#Sorrybutnotsorry

PC just released their full platform. Here is the transit and infrastructure portion:

rebuilding Ontario

Ontario families deserve major infrastructure investments in both our biggest cities and our smallest towns.

We can also do more to help other parts of Ontario get moving. Whether it is by investing in expanded broadband, increasing local infrastructure funding, or exploring highway expansion across the province. Ontario businesses, families and workers can all count on an Ontario that will move faster than ever before.

We will:
  • Deliver two-way, all-day GO service, including expansions to Bowmanville, Kitchener and completing the Niagara GO Expansion, and support regional transit projects in places such as Ottawa, Hamilton, Mississauga/Brampton, Kitchener-Waterloo and London.
  • Upload responsibility for subway infrastructure, including the building and maintenance of new and existing subway lines, from the City of Toronto to the Province. Add $5 billion in new subway funding to the $9 billion already available to build the Sheppard Loop with Scarborough, the Relief Line, and the Yonge Extension while building future crosstown expansions underground. Keep responsibility for day-to-day operations, including labour relations, with the City of Toronto along with a guarantee that the City will continue to keep all revenue generated by the subway system.
  • Actively explore potential for high-speed rail and highway projects including the potential six-laning of Highway 401 to the 416 between Toronto and Ottawa. Also, complete the environmental assessment for the GTA West Corridor, invest in increasing safety on the 401 West and four-lane Highway 17 in eastern Ontario and Highway 3 in Southwestern Ontario.
  • Expand natural gas distribution to rural communities by enabling private sector participation and use the up to $100 million in savings to invest in cellular and broadband expansion.
  • Increase the Risk Management Program (RMP) cap by $50 million annually to help farmers and other producers better manage risks outside of their control.
What this will cost:

Two-Way GO/Regional Transit Projects – Will maintain current funding as detailed in Ontario’s previous transportation and infrastructure budget.

Upload Toronto Subway System - Costing to be amortized over life of subway projects once operational, plus $160 million per year for existing assets.

Highway Improvement Plan - $20 million for studies/401 improvements, $5 million per year for Highways 3 and 17 amortized over 50 years once completed.

Natural Gas and Broadband/Cellular Expansion – Up to $100 million in savings by enabling private sector to expand natural gas, with savings re-invested in broadband/cellular projects.

Risk Management Program Increase - $50 million per year, starting in year three.

I can assume that if (most likely when unfortunately looking at recent polls) the PCs get into power, Finch West LRT is DOA?

In the last four years all I have heard from some people is anti liberal rhetoric. Not once did anyone mention maybe the NDP should be in charge. Instead there was a lot of subways subways subways mantra and people suggesting that Ford was the great white savior to transit especially in Scarborough. The ship is sinking and I am supposed to believe that these same people are voting NDP for noble reasons. Sorry if I'm skeptical. But I voted NDP so thanks for the votes. I guess I should just be thankful that you got off your Ford train

In the last four years all I have heard from some people is anti liberal rhetoric. Not once did anyone mention maybe the NDP should be in charge. Instead there was a lot of subways subways subways mantra and people suggesting that Ford was the great white savior to transit especially in Scarborough. The ship is sinking and I am supposed to believe that these same people are voting NDP for noble reasons. Sorry if I'm skeptical. But I voted NDP so thanks for the votes. I guess I should just be thankful that you got off your Ford train
Anti liberal doen't make someone pro conservative.
Subways vs LRT is beyond ideology except it seems in the city of Toronto.

I get your bitterness about Wynne getting annihilated on June 7th but making assumptions on people political allegiances over diverse opinions on different things shows a very high degree of immaturity.

Grow up

I'm not bitter about Wynne. Don't turn things around. If I'm bitter at all it is that TC was cancelled and gleefully people on here gloated that Ford was going to put subways everywhere and that only downtown elites who bike and drink lattes like LRT. Sorry if these people rubbed me the wrong way and now I'm happy seeing ford fall of his pedestal.
Anti liberal doen't make someone pro conservative.
Subways vs LRT is beyond ideology except it seems in the city of Toronto.

I get your bitterness about Wynne getting annihilated on June 7th but making assumptions on people political allegiances over diverse opinions on different things shows a very high degree of immaturity.

Grow up

Being anti liberal by default makes me think you are pro PC since for the last four years most would have thought the NDP were a wasted vote. There are only three options to vote for but the facts are these people never mentioned the NDP in years, at the same time they praised Ford's subways while also bashing the Liberals in the same breath.

Last edited:
I'm not bitter about Wynne. Don't turn things around. If I'm bitter at all it is that TC was cancelled and gleefully people on here gloated that Ford was going to put subways everywhere and that only downtown elites who bike and drink lattes like LRT. Sorry if these people rubbed me the wrong way and now I'm happy seeing ford fall of his pedestal.
I like PARTS of transit city but not all of it.

I like Finch West, Waterfront, Jane and Malvern now Eglinton East.

I don't like Sheppard East, should be subway down the road (post 2030s)

I don't like the at grade section on the crosstown. Should have been skytrain with a mix of elevated and underground merged with Scarborough RT

Don Mills was downright insanity. Rightfully so a subway.

Is this extremist?

I like PARTS of transit city but not all of it.

I like Finch West, Waterfront, Jane and Malvern now Eglinton East.

I don't like Sheppard East, should be subway down the road (post 2030s)

I don't like the at grade section on the crosstown. Should have been skytrain with a mix of elevated and underground merged with Scarborough RT

Don Mills was downright insanity. Rightfully so a subway.

Is this extremist?
No plan is perfect. I don't know what to say. Now we are building a one stop subway and that isn't perfect either. The fact is that the quite a bit of the LRT would have been up and running by now and then we could have been debating something else.

Back