News   Jul 15, 2024
 369     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 535     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 560     0 

2018 Provincial Election Transit Promises

The NDP released their platform today (full version here). As it relates to transit, here are the highlights:
* We will cover 50% of operating costs for municipal transit
* We will provide two-way all-day GO rail service between Kitchener— Waterloo and Toronto
* We will have year-round GO rail service between Niagara and Toronto
* We will implement a Northern Rail Strategy that restores Ontario Northlander’s passenger service and supports the Huron Central and Algoma Central Rail Lines
* We will build Toronto’s Downtown Relief Line ASAP
* We will build Hamilton’s LRT right away

Am I the only one paraphrasing this as the cancellation of most of RER (save for the Kitchener corridor)?
They do mention electrification (specifically "We will also electrify GO networks and the UP Express") but given the fact they they singled out the Kitchener corridor, I'm worried.
Also note the absence of all other LRT projects (except for Hamilton's).
Now, I get that Howarth will not be our premier, but I was hoping she would not cancel any existing commitments.

Am I the only one paraphrasing this as the cancellation of most of RER (save for the Kitchener corridor)?
Gotta to read the whole platform:

• We will bring two-way all-day GO service between Kitchener–Waterloo and Toronto and year-round GO rail service between Niagara and Toronto. We will also electrify GO networks and the UP Express, and make sure GO planning integrates with density plans so we can take more cars off the road, lowering carbon emissions and speeding up commerce.
  • We will continue to build transit across Ontario. In Toronto we will make it a priority to fund and build the Downtown Toronto Relief Line.

She will continue what the Liberals are doing AND pay for 50% of operating costs for Transit, build Hamilton LRT (implied that Hurontario proceeds as planned since it's farther along) and restore the Northlander Train. I like that she implies the delivery of the Relief Line in a faster time than the Liberals plans to do it

Last edited:
Gotta to read the whole platform:

• We will bring two-way all-day GO service between Kitchener–Waterloo and Toronto and year-round GO rail service between Niagara and Toronto. We will also electrify GO networks and the UP Express, and make sure GO planning integrates with density plans so we can take more cars off the road, lowering carbon emissions and speeding up commerce.
  • We will continue to build transit across Ontario. In Toronto we will make it a priority to fund and build the Downtown Toronto Relief Line.

She will continue what the Liberals are doing AND pay for 50% of operating costs for Transit, build Hamilton LRT (implied that Hurontario proceeds as planned since it's farther along) and restore the Northlander Train. I like that she implies the delivery of the Relief Line in a faster time than the Liberals plans to do it
If you continued reading my post above, I did mention electrification. However mere electrification does not equal to all RER plans.

If you continued reading my post above, I did mention electrification. However mere electrification does not equal to all RER plans.

It talks about RER being delayed here:
As premier, she’s overseen scandal after scandal at Metrolinx, a stalled Downtown Toronto Relief Line, delays to GO Regional Express Rail, GO fares that are increasing three times faster than inflation, and privatization of transit construction and services across the province.
So even though it's not said specifically that they will continue to build RER, at least it acknowledges that it's a priority and should not be delayed.

P.73 : We will invest over $180 billion in infrastructure — without wasteful P3s

we will invest $180 billion in infrastructure over the next decade.

Looks like new dollars to me, so...more transit? This would mean that they are very unlikely to cancel anything on the books or planned. They seem ready to double down. At least they aren't coming out with lines drawn on toilet paper. A clear amount, over a specific time and cities will have to step forward with their projects.

I know this is still up in the air, but what exactly does 50% of the operating costs even mean? Does it increase when current operating costs increase?
For the TTC alone, that's a good 1.25 billion dollars annually. As much as I love new transit funding, where the hell are they getting the money for this?

For the TTC alone, that's a good 1.25 billion dollars annually. As much as I love new transit funding, where the hell are they getting the money for this?

By taxing rich people. Or borrowing money. That has always been the NDP platform.

PS - Ask Bob Rae how that worked for him.

- Paul

Starts at page 88. She has measures to increase revenues but she didn't promised a balanced budget either. Anything is possible when you go into deficits ;)

They aren't making the Federal NDP mistake of making promises AND balancing the budget. No one will buy that now.

By taxing rich people. Or borrowing money. That has always been the NDP platform.

- Paul

In fairness to the NDP, upon reading their whole platform, they propose lower deficits than the Liberal plan, adding roughly 1/2 as much debt over 5 years.

They also don't propose to raise income tax on anyone making under $220,000 per year, and don't propose to raise the small business tax rate or the sales tax.

There are some issues I have w/the choices they propose, but they are not inherently radical or unreasonable taken in the aggregate, when compared with what others have put on the table.

- Paul
Let's not forget that under 10 years of Harper government, he balanced the budget only twice, the 2 election years...it was deficits over deficits the entire time. I think taxpayers have caught on politicians promising to balance the budget.

The only way I'll believe it is either through huge tax increases or austerity. Anything else is just empty promises

Or promise it because it means nothing, then really cost it out, get scared, don't do it.

AoD

They did get their platform vetted by former Parliamentary Budget Officer Kevin Page, who has deemed the numbers 'reasonable'.

Back