News   Jul 11, 2024
 5K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 659     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 686     1 

2018 Provincial Election Transit Promises

I believe this line was "delayed" significantly only to keep the capital funds in a placeholder and I also remember some funding being redirected to Finch. Im not sure there is enough support to build LRT to stub west of McCowan to resurrect this line. Without a doubt we will have another long debate before any transit gets built on Sheppard. Even Tory has often mentioned he believes the subway will be extended to connect to the stub in the future. Better chance we see the EELRT extended somewhere into Malvern under this new funding pool but not the SELRT.
SELRT was supposed to go to Morninginside. Not a Stub. Finch East was more deserving of the LRT to be frank, but Doug will support the sheppard east subway as I expected. I will be fine with that, but I want to movement on Milton and Richmond Hill as the trade off.

SELRT was supposed to go to Morninginside. Not a Stub. Finch East was more deserving of the LRT to be frank, but Doug will support the sheppard east subway as I expected. I will be fine with that, but I want to movement on Milton and Richmond Hill as the trade off.

RH will happen before Sheppard East. Its further along and York region doesn't infight to slow it down. They will pressure the Province till the end. Doug and many others will campaign on Sheppard East subway it for decades to follow. The Scarborough support is there and dont see it even close for support vs. the SELRT after its already been cancelled. At one point it was suppose to go to Meadowvale until McGuinty started taking jabs at it.

Last edited:
RH will happen before Sheppard East. Doug and others will campaign on it for decades to come. The Scarborough support is there and dont see it even close for the SELRT after its already been cancelled and at one point was suppose to go to Meadowvale until McGuinty took the initial jab at it
By RH I mean the go line, I assume the subway is happening whether we like it or not. SELRT is a better cheaper option but there will be a big fight Tory cave on it and support the Sheppard East subway not long after the election is over @TheTigerMaster @crs1026

By RH I mean the go line, I assume the subway is happening whether we like it or not. SELRT is a better cheaper option but there will be a big fight Tory cave on it and support the Sheppard East subway not long after the election is over @TheTigerMaster @crs1026

Yes the RH subway its moving forward. SELRT is cheaper yes but long term based on what exists in the network I disagree its better than completing the subway loop. The subway stub was the mistake and a subway loop makes a better option. LRT can connect in from the EELRT and/or an LRT extension from SCC to Malver TC in the future.

Yes the RH subway its moving forward. SELRT is cheaper yes but long term based on what exists in the network I disagree its better than completing the subway loop. The subway stub was the mistake and a subway loop makes a better option. LRT can connect in from the EELRT and/or an LRT extension from SCC to Malver TC in the future.
How about a LRT loop? Eglinton-Finch LRT that goes from Pearson to Renforth to UTSC to Malvern to Seneca to Humber and back to Pearson.

How about a LRT loop? Eglinton-Finch LRT that goes from Pearson to Renforth to UTSC to Malvern to Seneca to Humber and back to Pearson.

That works well if its run thru Markham/Milner and Malvern TC and in addition to the Sheppard subway loop thu Agincourt. With this LRT North East Scarborough would have a short bus to the subway loop or direct connection to both Universities and the Yonge line and Smarttrack with the LRT.

But I thought scarborough would not would anymore subways once the BD extension was built? Or was this the plan all along, to push BD thorugh and then argue for closing the gap. And what about those east of McCowan?

But I thought scarborough would not would anymore subways once the BD extension was built? Or was this the plan all along, to push BD thorugh and then argue for closing the gap. And what about those east of McCowan?

Not sure that was ever the case, possibly a hope held by some?

If anything after the cancelation of Transit City the SCC line was almost LRT technology as long as the Sheppard subway was moving. Not the other way around. Since the BDL extension is now closing the gap id imagine theres even more support.

East of McCowan will be LRT or rapid bus were required @Leo_Chan describes a likely scenario above for extending the Finch West LRT to UTSC and theres the Scarborough-Durham BRT on the books.

Last edited:
Not sure that was ever the case, possibly a hope held by some?

If anything after the cancelation of Transit City the SCC line was almost LRT technology as long as the Sheppard subway was moving. Not the other way around. Since the BDL extension is now closing the gap id imagine theres even more support.

East of McCowan will be LRT or rapid bus were required @Leo_Chan describes a likely scenario above for extending the Finch West LRT to UTSC and theres the Scarborough-Durham BRT on the books.
No I remember clearly that Scarborough only wanted the one subway and that there was no money for the Sheppard East subway. Obviously if Doug gets in that will change. But deep down inside I knew this was going to be the result, which is why I support the RT extenstion the first time. But here we are.

I think Doug will be subways and some train extensions.

No I remember clearly that Scarborough only wanted the one subway and that there was no money for the Sheppard East subway. Obviously if Doug gets in that will change. But deep down inside I knew this was going to be the result, which is why I support the RT extenstion the first time. But here we are.

I think Doug will be subways and some train extensions.

Not sure were that belief or assumption of what Scarborough wants would have been formed? All democratic indicators have indicated strongly the opposite. Recently very strongly. Its not just Ford (although his heavy Scarborough supports is also a good indicator), any candidate of any stripe from MPP to Councilor to Mayor who supports the Sheppard subway will see increased support in most Scarborough ridings. Pretty much inevitable and always made sense to me even before I ever moved here.

I hope Ford (if Premier) throws LRT back to the City like Brown hinted and runs subway at the Provincial level. LRT is manageable to tax and build from the City standpoint and not only is the subway cost too high for the City to deal with, its now in the 905 and its divided the City. Time to upload.

Last edited:
Not sure were that belief or assumption of what Scarborough wants would have been formed? All democratic indicators have indicated strongly the opposite. Recently very strongly. Its not just Ford (although his heavy Scarborough supports is also a good indicator), any candidate of any stripe from MPP to Councilor to Mayor who supports the Sheppard subway will see increased support in most Scarborough ridings. Pretty much inevitable and always made sense to me even before I ever moved here.

I hope Ford (if Premier) throws LRT back to the City like Brown hinted and runs subway at the Provincial level. LRT is manageable to tax and build from the City standpoint and not only is the subway cost too high for the City to deal with, its now in the 905 and its divided the City. Time to upload.
There was no real movement on city council for sheppard east other then karyigiannis. I don't see the business case for sheppard east, however I don't want the DRL held up.

It should have ended at Victoria Park, not Don Mills. There's far more development down there.
That I agree with. But I think this is going to get built at this point and go to STC. What @OneCity is saying and I agree with ultimately, is that both Scarborough Subways are getting built out.

There was no real movement on city council for sheppard east other then karyigiannis. I don't see the business case for sheppard east, however I don't want the DRL held up.

Its just not a priority on council which is understandable and obviously many outside Councilors despise the thought of subway in Scarborough. SELRT will have a hard time getting solid Scarborough support to deliver it. Support is wishy-washy even in the East when the SELRT compared to the subway, west of McCowan its no contest. As Agincourt grows and the transfer remains itll be a very tough sell and I think Itll cost the City far more fighting if they choose that route.

Last edited:
That I agree with. But I think this is going to get built at this point and go to STC. What @OneCity is saying and I agree with ultimately, is that both Scarborough Subways are getting built out.

Part of me hopes that the Sheppard subway is eventually extended in both directions. Yes, it wasn't the best choice of technology, however, it is still an extremely valuable asset for the system. I rode it yesterday at around 3:30 and there were hundreds of people using it, standing room only at Sheppard Yonge. The line poorly integrates surface transit at every station except Don Mills, which saddens me, but explains its lack of ridership everywhere except there. If they eventually extend the line, it needs to be built with surface transit connections in mind, and the network that surrounds it needs to be seriously considered. I'm talking about creating new bus routes to serve surrounding neighbourhoods like they do along the Bloor and Danforth lines. What I don't understand is why Lawrence isn't getting an LRT. The corridor is due for much growth and has solid ridership, but it along with steeles, York Mills/Wilson, and st clair east are always ignored.

Back