News   Apr 25, 2024
 361     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

2018 Political Prognostications and Hopes

Are you wishing here or do you believe facts exist to support this? Since they believe what they want, the evidence is going to have to be overwhelming.
President Ryan would not be a happy outcome, but it’s entirely possible.

Mueller will take down one or both of Trump and Pence. The only question is who and when. If republicans think they will lose the 2018 midterms they will move quickly to clean house before Democrats get into the order of succession.

Have I missed something? It's entirely possible as I long ago started skimming over Trump-related news, but I don't recall Pence at all being implicated in any improprieties.

Local:

Tory steam rolls Doug Ford and Desmond Cole with a 50%+ margin win. The new downtown wards lead to a stronger progressive bloc on council. Unfortunately, only two incumbents lose their seats: Carmichael-Greb and Bailao (losing in the newly drawn ward against Palacio). Bets already placed on who is running for the open mayoralty in 2022, with Mike Layton, KWT and newly-minted cabinet minister Denzil Minnan Wong leading the pack.

Provincial:

After a 15 year reign - longer than the Rae Years and Common Sense Revolution combined - the PCs finally win back Queen's Park with a squeaker of a majority. Patrick Brown keeps the social con nuts contained and sells his party as the 'centrist' option. Wynne resigns, with Steven Del Duca and Mitzie Hunter as the favourites to win the leadership in early 2019. Meanwhile, Andrea Horwath bows out after a decade as leader and Charlie Angus and Peter Tabuns eye her old gig.

Federal:

Low approval ratings abound for all three major party leaders. Trudeau continues to be portrayed as 'out of touch' with conflicts of interest and perceived silver-spoon lifestyle. Unlike Brown, Scheer can't contain the growth of far-right/alt-right pressures within his party base. Singh continues to fizzle in gaining wider support.

International:

Dems make some gains in the mid-term elections, but still under perform. Increasing rift between the 'Hillary' wing and 'Bernie' wing of the party on how to campaign in 2020. Despite increasing corruption allegations, Trump remains President and his resilient core base sticks with him. To redirect from domestic issues, including failed campaign promises, Trump and the neocons move closer to a War with Iran, setting up a 'stand with us or the terrorists' presidential campaign reminiscent of Bush in 2004. Dodging the trend, Jeremy Corbyn wins a minority government with a left-wing populism campaign. Meanwhile, the far right continues to gain strength in central and eastern Europe.

Last edited:
Have I missed something? It's entirely possible as I long ago started skimming over Trump-related news, but I don't recall Pence at all being implicated in any improprieties.
Yes you have. Flynn flipped and is working for Mueller. There are only two people who could give him orders. Pence was in charge of the transition so he likely knew and/or condoned illegal activity.

That fact that some people don't like the election result is enough to push for impeachment as soon as the Democrats have the votes.

That fact that some people don't like the election result is enough to push for impeachment as soon as the Democrats have the votes.
There are already multiple criminal convictions. This isn't about being a sore loser - the Trump campaign engaged in serious criminal activity coordinated by Trump and/or Pence. They are going down.

There are already multiple criminal convictions. This isn't about being a sore loser - the Trump campaign engaged in serious criminal activity coordinated by Trump and/or Pence. They are going down.
Good luck on this. On the face of it, in a correctly functioning democracy, what you have related here is true. The state is compromised. By surprisingly little as it turns out. Reason appears to have left the room.

Read here.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40507354/with-trump-the-gop-is-playing-a-game-of-diminishing-returns

Back on topic, can Doug's support of Trump be used against him by Tory?

Federal:

Low approval ratings abound for all three major party leaders. Trudeau continues to be portrayed as 'out of touch' with conflicts of interest and perceived silver-spoon lifestyle. Unlike Brown, Scheer can't contain the growth of far-right/alt-right pressures within his party base. Singh continues to fizzle in gaining wider support.

This is why Trudeau still has the advantage, no matter what the Liberals are accused of doing.

Back on topic, can Doug's support of Trump be used against him by Tory?

This is why Trudeau still has the advantage, no matter what the Liberals are accused of doing.

The best angle is probably corruption. Dirty Doug Ford is only in it for himself and his family business. He had four years to prove he could lead but instead he just looked after DECO.

You'll never convince the small core of Ford die-hards to change their mind, but his behaviour can't be normalised lest the bulk of voters think Tory-vs-Ford is a question of policy.

The best angle is probably corruption. Dirty Doug Ford is only in it for himself and his family business. He had four years to prove he could lead but instead he just looked after DECO.

You'll never convince the small core of Ford die-hards to change their mind, but his behaviour can't be normalised lest the bulk of voters think Tory-vs-Ford is a question of policy.

I was thinking that too.

This is going to be similar to Godwin's Law.
Instead of people having no argument invoking Hitler, they are now invoking Trump.

I am not saying anyone should use that tactic, just that it could happen.

Local : John Tory wins keeping the hard right and left out of office in Toronto
Provincal: Wynne is soundly defeated but I doubt it, so I hope for a minority government and Wynne replaced as leader
Federal: Will be a trying year for the Liberals if Ontario, Quebec and Alberta swing to the right.

Back