News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.2K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 817     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 781     1 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

Which is interesting, because he probably wouldn't risk becoming a lame-duck MPP.

Agreed. I think the only reason you're seeing high profile Liberals like Steven Del Duca, Eric Hoskins and Mitzie Hunter run for re-election is because they hold leadership ambitions.

Agreed. I think the only reason you're seeing high profile Liberals like Steven Del Duca, Eric Hoskins and Mitzie Hunter run for re-election is because they hold leadership ambitions.

I expect Steven Del Duca and Eric Hoskins to run for the Liberal leadership but if Glen Murray is looking at running again, it wouldn't shock me if he wants to run for the leadership again. I doubt he would win with his awful, smirky attitude but then again, we elected Premier Mom with a toxic majority government.

I expect Steven Del Duca and Eric Hoskins to run for the Liberal leadership but if Glen Murray is looking at running again, it wouldn't shock me if he wants to run for the leadership again. I doubt he would win with his awful, smirky attitude but then again, we elected Premier Mom with a toxic majority government.

Other MPPs who have apparently shown interest are Yasir Naqvi and Michael Coteau. Even in the event of a huge PC tide where the OLP are relegated to a third party, I anticipate most of the leadership contenders would win back their seats.

Hilarious satire piece by the Beaverton.

Kathleen Wynne touts manufacturing sector job gains with Cheesecake Factory announcement
Facing a record low approval rating and a 2018 re-election campaign, Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne is citing the opening of a Toronto-area Cheesecake Factory as proof that she is bringing back manufacturing jobs.

“Southern Ontario has been hit hardest by losses in the manufacturing sector,” proclaimed Premier Wynne at a hastily-convened press conference. “But the Ontario Liberals are working hard for our blue collar voters– I mean, workers. Finally, these noble factory workers can once again put in an honest day’s work, assembling a Peanut Butter Cup Fudge Ripple Cheesecake.”

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2017/0...or-job-gains-cheesecake-factory-announcement/

An in-depth comparison of the NDP and Liberal's plans:

http://www.progressive-economics.ca...ectricity-sector-ii-political-economy-update/

A summary:

Pv9HRyx.png

I believe the only two seats in the old city limits where PCs have a good shot at winning are Don Valley West (Wynne's riding) and Eglinton-Lawrence.

On the other hand, a strong PC showing in downtown and central TO would likely help the NDP by eating into the Liberal vote.

I believe the only two seats in the old city limits where PCs have a good shot at winning are Don Valley West (Wynne's riding) and Eglinton-Lawrence.

The are bits of old Toronto in those seats but there's more North York in those seats.

BTW here's the 2014 provincial vote for the 7 ridings (now 8) that make up the bulk of old Toronto:

Liberals 154,084 47.2%
NDP 99,618 30.5%
PC 48,359 14.8%

A crude calculation would have the Liberal fortress of St. Paul's(!) going PC but I'm not going to make that call.

Summary of the political party approaches to the housing issues which almost perfectly summarizes the political spectrum.
Premier Kathleen Wynne has promised a "package" of reforms are coming soon. The opposition parties are staking out their ground, with the NDP hammering away on rent controls and the Progressive Conservatives zeroing in on red tape around real estate development.

But a more realistic pondering:
There are a few questions to think about here, and the first is, what is the actual problem? Is it a lack of supply due to overly strict regulation? Is it get-rich-quick schemers flipping too many houses? Is it foreign speculators dodging taxes, or foreign millionaires parking capital somewhere safe? Is it the result of decades of generous government policies encouraging everyone to be a homeowner? Is it a recovering economy and rising wages combined with a booming metro region that everyone suddenly wants to live in?

If you answered "some combination of these," as most people do, it's not really all that helpful for telling us what the policy response should be.

http://www.nugget.ca/2017/04/17/housing-market-becomes-ontarios-next-big-issue

The Liberals are already saying they are planning to go after the home 'scalpers' as they are calling them (flippers).

If its anything like the way they want after ticket scalpers it will be totally ineffective.

As usually, I predict they will talk a big game but get nothing done.

Back