2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion | Page 155

Discussion in 'Politics & Diplomacy' started by MetroMan, Sep 2, 2016.

1. steveintoronto

steveintoronto Senior Member

Can't figure out if Patrick Brown has string here or not, so I'll post this here.

It was obvious that CTV were part of a plot to sink Brown. Make no mistake, I had/have little use for Brown, but here's an example of how CTV (with deep inside roots in old Conservative families) have purposely played this:
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/patrick-brown-accusers-stand-by-allegations-1.3802657?autoPlay=true

She's been lying all this time...as can happen in these situations. I won't comment further on how that sets up other *genuine* cases being harmed, but CTV titles that article:
    Patrick Brown accusers stand by allegations

Geez, d'ya think the fix is in?

2. John_Dee

John_Dee Active Member

Channel surfing the other night, I saw a quick flash on CP20FORD about Brown considering legal action against some of the purported figures who've smeared him out of the PC leadership. No names mentioned, of course, which makes me wonder who he has in mind....

3. ADRM

ADRM Senior Member

Careful, now; just because she lied about her age at the time doesn't mean all her allegations should be dismissed out-of-hand.

Either way, it's absurd to say it's "obvious" that CTV was doing anything untoward.

tiffer24 and PinkLucy like this.
  4. animatronic

animatronic Senior Member

5. PinkLucy

PinkLucy Moderator Staff Member

I'll move it out of Toronto to better reflect the fact that it's province-wide discussion.

6. animatronic

Maybe rename it as well? "2018 Ontario Provincial Election"

And maybe add a sticky note to the Toronto Politics forum to remind everyone of the split?

ADRM likes this.
  7. PinkLucy

PinkLucy Moderator Staff Member

It was supposed to set up a redirect when I moved it.
    @MetroMan , I believe you started the thread -- are you ok with renaming it? It has definitely broadened out from just the question of whether Wynne can win again.

8. DSC

DSC Senior Member

Now the Sun has this...

TORONTO — A key accusation which cost Patrick Brown the leadership of the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party – that he plied an underage high school girl with booze – is not true, CTV News now acknowledges.

The stunning revelation concerns a woman who told CTV that when she was a student in a Barrie high school, the then federal Conservative MP took her home from a bar, gave her booze, took her to his room, and crudely asked for oral sex.

“She now says that she was of legal drinking age and out of high school,” the CTV News online article published late Tuesday says.

The item is the fifth paragraph in a news story that begins with the accusers saying they “are not backing down” from the claims that toppled a potential premier-in-waiting.

steveintoronto likes this.
  9. animatronic

Interesting that the woman's lawyer is David Butt. He's a heavyweight criminal defence lawyer with a history of representing sexual assault victims. Hard to believe he would risk his name on anything that was less than airtight.

He'd also be expensive - especially if there isn't a lawsuit or settlement being discussed. Is someone bankrolling the operation?

On the face of it these allegations have a ring of credibility. It's the timing that's interesting - did the story just happen to break at the worst possible moment, or was it helped along by someone looking to take out Brown?

steveintoronto likes this.
  10. Northern Light

Northern Light Senior Member

Brown also previously stated that one of the accusers described being in a second floor bedroom, which he says is impossible because at the time in question, he was renting a small, one-storey apartment. He noted he has corroboration on this point.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/former-pc-ontario-leader-patrick-brown-1.4530770

I must confess I find what passes for journalism here deeply disturbing.

The initial headlines were problematic, mentioning sex in the same breath as 'underaged'; when, at the time, the latter was in reference to the drinking age.

As it turns out, it appears, the women in question were not under any age (drinking or consent).

There remain questions about Mr. Brown's judgement to be sure.

But this appears more and more as an intentional hatchet job.

I have to say here, I have no time for misogynist BS; and I was no particular fan of Mr. Brown's before this whole debacle, and still can't say I am one.

But when I see things like this, I also reflect on another CTV hatchet job............anyone remember Stephane Dion? A Liberal aspirant to the office of PM, who CTV demeaned unfairly, surely costing him his job as Liberal leader and any shot he had at being PM.

I'm not a fan of media playing King/Queen maker or dethroner. If they do so, they really ought to be able to achieve it on meritorious facts, that are provable and corroborated; I don't think that's too much to ask.

I also have deep concern about the damage this may do to many women who have suffered legitimate abuse, criminal or otherwise, who now may not be believed, because again we have 'witnesses' caught in a lie.

11. MetroMan

MetroMan Senior Member

Yes. But it doesn’t seem like I can change the thread name.

Changing it to “2018 Ontario Provincial Election” and with a mod note added in the first post as “Previously Can Premier Wynne Win In 2018” would be appropriate.

PinkLucy likes this.
  12. steveintoronto

Here's what I wrote:
    The story will be picked up by the press, allegations of a 'palace coup' long predated this. Now we're getting the proof. CTV has more than a few claims to atone for.

And I stand behind my claim for CTV being 'established old school Tory'. Does the name "Bassett" ring a bell?

13. steveintoronto

I only just got in and read the latest headlines.

Agree with the last few posters. It stinks. And so does CTV, And this is far from the first time, Dion as mentioned being one, but so were others on baseless accusations. Meantime, as I carefully stated in my earlier post today, it actually does a *disservice* to legitimate cases.

What's especially peculiar is CTV's being 'played' on this so willingly. I never liked Brown, I never liked the play Julius Caesar, but never realized the collective role of 'the Senate' was to be played by CTV.

They have some explaining to do.

I see checking the headlines that CTV has now changed their story.

And the CBC leads:
    'You lied. You defamed me': Patrick Brown blasts CTV News after sexual misconduct accuser changes timeline
    One of Brown's accusers now says she wasn't underage at time of alleged sexual misconduct
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/patrick-brown-blasts-ctv-news-1.4535358

The irony is that 'rumours' were that he was gay, not a philanderer.

Those who should be very upset about this most? QP Libs. The palace coup plotters just cost you the election.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 7:18 PM
  14. denfromoakvillemilton

denfromoakvillemilton Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 9:36 PM
  15. ADRM

ADRM Senior Member

No, we're not getting proof of anything; that's the point. Explain what, specifically, CTV has done objectively wrong here based on verifiable facts that have been presented, if you think I'm wrong.