News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 375     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2.1K     1 

2018 Ontario PC Leadership Race

Who do you think will win the PC leadership race (not who do you support)?

• Patrick Brown

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Christine Elliott

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • Doug Ford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tanya Granic Allen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Caroline Mulroney

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If Ford becomes leader, would Caroline Mulroney even run?

Someone else will be representing the SoCons.

Why, Ford will, with Trump-style opportunism. Remember, too, how his camp's been effective in dogwhistling religious ethnoburbans--remember the sex-ed controversy? DoFo'll ride it to the hilt; and hey, it elected Raymond Cho...

Why, Ford will, with Trump-style opportunism. Remember, too, how his camp's been effective in dogwhistling religious ethnoburbans--remember the sex-ed controversy? DoFo'll ride it to the hilt; and hey, it elected Raymond Cho...

He doesn't have the tact, craft, intelligence, or vocab to pull it off. Would probably say something stupid like "as a matter of fact, my wife is intersex". I mostly ignore Doug stuff, but there was one Steve Paiken interview he did years back that was just so brutal to watch...just kept saying how much he loved Black people over and over. He knew it too and was stammering. I think most of the PC caucus is well aware that he'd sully the party name for years to come.

hey, it elected Raymond Cho...

I'm from Cho's riding. My family has done campaign work for him. I detest the guy. But he won because of the subway. Not the sex ed issue. That was talking point for the talking heads. Nobody in the riding cares that much, except for maybe a few of the more vocal kind. But Cho went around promising he'd get the subway built. Heck, at times, he's insinuated he can get the subway built to Malvern itself. That's what got him the win. Well that and a general frustration with the current government.

Low turnout in by-elections, helps too.

Laura Stone‏Verified account@l_stone
Ontario MP Erin O’Toole, who ran for leader federally, said he’d not ruling out a run for Ontario PC leadership #onpoli #cdnpoli

Another possible candidate.

https://www.scribd.com/document/370454884/Mainstreet-Ontario-Jan31

We have a poll!

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-pcs-will-select-new-leader-on-march-10-1.3783936

March 10 is the date. The cost to get into the leadership campaign is $125,000.

CP24‏Verified account@CP24 29m29 minutes ago
JUST IN: PC party executives set March 10 as date for leadership vote with campaign spending cap of $750K, sources say.

Last edited:
They also need to raise $125,000 to enter. Which is probably the real reason Fedeli (and some others as well) dropped out of the race.

http://nationalpost.com/news/chris-...ario-progressive-conservative-leadership-race

Christine Elliott is in.

Steve Paikin @spaikin
1m

Confirmed: from the @C_Mulroney campaign: she's in. Will be announcing in the next few days. Undeterred by @votechristine Elliott getting into the race. #onpoli #PCPOLdr

No surprise there.

Mike Crawley
@CBCQueensPark

Also this means Erin O’Toole will not run, as we’re hearing his CPC leadership machine will work for Elliott

That Todd Smith guy is also out of the running and endorsing Elliott.

Last edited:
My working hypothesis is Mulroney won't be able to launch an effective attack on Ford. She'll make a splash and fade, leaving Elliott and Doug to fight it out. However, Mulroney's support will transfer to Elliott giving her the final ballot win.

My working hypothesis is Mulroney won't be able to launch an effective attack on Ford. She'll make a splash and fade, leaving Elliott and Doug to fight it out. However, Mulroney's support will transfer to Elliott giving her the final ballot win.
It could well be. Or Elliot to Mulroney.

De-facto agreement or not, there has to be a tacit understanding between the moderates to toss in their hat with whoever looks to be the winner. Needless to say, that won't be Ford, but it might be necessary, if for some God-awful reason, he would win by splitting the vote.

The chances are good for the Cons to come out with a very real contender for the election.

That is, unless Dougie rallies a Jagmeet-scaled block of new voting delegates. (Unless the present Fedeli-motivated investigations put a kibosh on that happening.)

(Unless the present Fedeli-motivated investigations put a kibosh on that happening.)
I've been trying to figure out the 'zeitgeist' of Fedeli, and his ulterior motives. All well and good he's become "Mr Clean", but I get a real chill just looking at the sardonic smile and his machinations to 'fix things'.

And who, may I ask, oversees Fedeli's doings? Your concerns on 'Dougie' well taken. I sense a very high risk of an 'entitled cohort' taking it upon themselves to swamp the swamp.

Back