News   May 01, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 340     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 357     0 

2018 Ontario PC Leadership Race

Who do you think will win the PC leadership race (not who do you support)?

• Patrick Brown

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Christine Elliott

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • Doug Ford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tanya Granic Allen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Caroline Mulroney

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Isn't voting supposed to start tomorrow?

This is some sort of expert plan of future trajectory this party is following.

Isn't voting supposed to start tomorrow?

This is some sort of expert plan of future trajectory this party is following.
Started today. Ends on the 8th.

Registration extended to Monday so hopefully arrives by then.

Ah, so it's not a total bomb. Thanks for clearing that up and instilling in me a (possibly false) sense of hope for the party. ;)

I can't get mine via snail mail because I'm currently away. There are no other options to get a PIN. (It is 2018, right?) Anyway, I had to call / email multiple people to finally get an answer. So yeah, hold off on that sense of hope.

I watched the last debate and I have to say the future for the PC Party doesn't look terribly bright. It seems there are plenty in the party that wanted Brown gone - and those people want a return to a far right platform.

It seems like a two-horse race between Ford and Elliot at the moment. Ford would trigger an 'anyone but Ford' vote, but can Elliot win and come up with a centrist plan? Not only would I not want to vote for a party that wants to repeal the current sex ed curriculum, I wouldn't want them to win either.

I'm sure there are plenty that feel the same way on a number of issues.

Brown was vulnerable to attacks from Leftist activists, women's groups, unions and Liberal Party operatives. The PCs had no choice but to pull the plug on his candidacy before the onslaught of attack ads began lest they risk another four years in the wilderness.

Speaking as someone who truly wants to witness the Liberals turfed this time, I have to believe so-cons will put the better good of the Province ahead of some gripes over sex ed, just like what was done under Harper federally. If Christine Elliott can't pull off a win under these stars-aligning circumstances then Ontario as a Province may cease to exist - we'll become four brand new fiefdoms.

Brown was vulnerable to attacks from Leftist activists, women's groups, unions and Liberal Party operatives. The PCs had no choice but to pull the plug on his candidacy before the onslaught of attack ads began lest they risk another four years in the wilderness.

Speaking as someone who truly wants to witness the Liberals turfed this time, I have to believe so-cons will put the better good of the Province ahead of some gripes over sex ed, just like what was done under Harper federally. If Christine Elliott can't pull off a win under these stars-aligning circumstances then Ontario as a Province may cease to exist - we'll become four brand new fiefdoms.

Will they?

They've focused a disproportionate amount of time on the sex ed curriculum, IMO. And to be perfectly honest, a lot of the answers on other topics have been generic, stock responses.

It's disappointing they couldn't answer with greater detail.

Brown seemed to finally have a winning platform for the PC Party, and now they're in danger of alienating the moderates they desperately need.

Quito Maggi from Mainstreet posted some Twitter screenshots from the poll they ran over the weekend (got it via email). Shows 2nd/3rd voting intentions and "regardless of your #1 vote, who do you think has best chance to beat Wynne"?

Best chance to beat Wynne | 2nd choice | 3rd choice
CE | 44.2% | 21.8% | 29.2%
DF | 35.4% | 28.4% | 23.7%
TG | 6.6% | 24.0% | 16.8%
CM | 15.6% | 25.7% | 30.5%

Numbers don't = 100% but that's what he's reporting. He also says that in pretty much all monte carlos it goes to three votes, so Granic + Ford 1st ballot is <50%. Let's also ignore riding 100 point caps (thought Mainstreet did ask for riding in its poll so expect an adjusted total when results are released on Thursday).

Let's assume DF's 35% and TG's 7% are close to their actual 1st vote tallies (my gut says TG and CM are higher on 1st ballot than the "who will win" question and and DF/CE are lower, but this will get smoothed out in the second and third ballots). Assume TG support goes almost all to DF. That puts DF at 42% after 2 ballots, CE somewhere between 34-44% and CM at 16-26%. Worst case scenario 42/34/24.

So for the third ballot, CM's support needs to break 2:1 in favour of CE. Do we think this is feasible?

Edit to add:
Mainstreet now finds Elliott slightly ahead in her percentage of the electoral votes allocated equally to each riding, Ford just behind, Mulroney 15 percentage points back of him, and Granic Allen last, CEO Quito Maggi said Monday.
http://nationalpost.com/news/politi...esperate-behaviour-as-pc-leadership-nears-end

Last edited:
... I have to believe so-cons will put the better good of the Province ahead of some gripes over sex ed...

That's optimistic! Good on ya for keeping a positive attitude.

Sex-ed isn't their only problem. Ford can't stop yapping about parental passes for abortions. Granic Allen is clearly an extremist. All four of them want to pretend that climate change is actually fun as long as people get to keep more money with which to buy more cars, phones, TVs, and other things they don't need.
I'm no fan of the Liberals, believe you me, but replacing them with this lot just seems like a waste of my time. I mean, people who fondly remember the "good old days" of last century might be interested, but I dare say the majority of us younger folk don't need that particular cohort doing any more damage to our collective future than has already been done.

Last edited:

Back