News   Jul 12, 2024
 431     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 483     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 266     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Among centrist and left leaning city councillors, my top that should be kicked out of office are (in no particular order):

Councillor Mary-Margaret McMahon
Councillor Ana Bailão
Councillor Jaye Robinson
Councillor Michelle Holland

Weak-minded councilors who represent their wards differently to how they campaigned.

I'll throw in Councillor Joe Mihevc in there if he doesn't shape up his narrow-mindedness in solving Toronto's transit problems with only operating 'solutions' instead of capital investment. It is difficult enough to push for the transit we need when we have our allied councillors throwing in unnecessary and counter-productive motion amendments behind your back as Mihevc has done consistently during this council.

I agree with the overarching point being made here, but I just don't agree that Robinson and Holland can be considered "progressive" by any useful measure. I often find it strange how long that title carries with some councillors (people still refer to Josh Colle and Justin di Ciano as "liberal", I think mostly because of their personal and professional relationships. But none of those people (with the possible exception of McMahon, and kind of Bailao on some issues) I would consider to be remotely progressive. Robinson is one of the worst, IMHO.

Let's let the news settle a bit before we begin renaming things. William Berczy co-founded the entire city of Toronto.

I do agree, at the very least a plaque at the Berczy Park water fountain should be considered.

Fine, I admittedly didn't look up Berczy but a plaque is too light.

I agree with the overarching point being made here, but I just don't agree that Robinson and Holland can be considered "progressive" by any useful measure. I often find it strange how long that title carries with some councillors (people still refer to Josh Colle and Justin di Ciano as "liberal", I think mostly because of their personal and professional relationships. But none of those people (with the possible exception of McMahon, and kind of Bailao on some issues) I would consider to be remotely progressive. Robinson is one of the worst, IMHO.

Di Ciano, Nunziata, Colle, Jimmy K and Holland are all card carrying Liberals despite holding mostly right-of-centre views. With the Trudeau government's more leftish bent, it's easy to forget that there is still a sizeable number of 'blue liberals,' mostly of the Chretien and Martin era. Heck, Toronto was full of them during the Chretien years: Tom Wappel, Jimmy K, Dennis Mills, John McKay, John Cannis and Dan McTeague. All were anti-same sex marriage and some were pro-life.

I'm pretty sure McMahon identifies as an independent but has campaigned for local Liberals.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm biased, but IMO she was one of the realest people we had on Council. No BS, or pandering, or toeing the line. Whenever on the news she was front and centre in calling out stupidity. I kinda agree with AOD that naming St Lawrence North could work, but feel there are better opportunities generally more close to her neighbourhood. Maybe Aquatic Centre, or a future park/parkette in Regent Park.

Now for the question: who's McConnell's likely successor? (I'll presume an appointment rather than a byelection)

Back