News   Jun 19, 2024
 638     0 
News   Jun 19, 2024
 2.7K     4 
News   Jun 19, 2024
 628     0 

2015 Federal Election

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emmaloop/th...hove-said-stup?utm_term=.ewg5bXB66#.xa0NxG400

Is this a new record for candidates saying and doing stupid things/
Two factors at play....1. a particularly long election giving, both, more opportunity for stupid people to say and do stupid things and for the parties "researchers" to dig through and find past stupid things that stupid people have said/done and 2. we are getting to the point in the world/history of social media that people have a voluminous past in the social media world to dig through before they became candidates/politicians.

It may or may not be the record stupid sayings and doings ......but it certainly would be a record for those stupid sayings and doings to be reported.

I wonder at what point do we consider someone unelectable if they haven't said a few stupid things before or doesn't have a history of social media presence (i.e is avoiding/erasing one's past a worse sin than having one). You know, kind of like French presidents without affairs.

AoD

Two factors at play....1. a particularly long election giving, both, more opportunity for stupid people to say and do stupid things and for the parties "researchers" to dig through and find past stupid things that stupid people have said/done and 2. we are getting to the point in the world/history of social media that people have a voluminous past in the social media world to dig through before they became candidates/politicians.

It may or may not be the record stupid sayings and doings ......but it certainly would be a record for those stupid sayings and doings to be reported.

Yes, this is why I probably shouldn't run for office. Somewhere in those 96,000+ tweets of mine, there has to be something considered shocking...

Yes, this is why I probably shouldn't run for office. Somewhere in those 96,000+ tweets of mine, there has to be something considered shocking...

I think the most shocking thing is to expect someone having live through their lives without saying shocking things - it's all about the context and pattern, not singular instances. Plus there are degrees of shocking to consider as well.

AoD

All it will do is prove out that old Kim Campbell saying "The election is not a time to discuss serious issues."

Trade agreements are very complex and, likely, Canada (and all parties to the treaty, really) will win in some areas and lose in others.....but 3 party leaders (2 of which can't possibly know what is in the agreement) will try to nut it down to 15 second sound bites that appeal to their bases.

Already seeing Mulcair suggesting that it is just another area where Trudeau supports Harper and see Trudeau is painting Mulcair as a protectionist anti-trade person.

Certainly the markets spoke loudly today about their initial thoughts on it......Canadian and American markets were up strongly on the signing and the Canadian dollar had a very good day to close near 76.5 cents American. But, Mulcair will paint it as "bad", Harper will say it is "good" and Trudeau will say "we will need to study it".

Although I'm starting to question Nanos numbers lately, as they've always had the NDP third before their downfall in Quebec, or a statistical tie with the Liberals, recent daily numbers from them show the NDP are rising in Ontario, with the Liberals and Conservatives falling. Could be a blip, but it could point to a fear of the auto & dairy workers could eat away at any Liberals or Conservatives support in the province.

Yeah....I'm not sure how how valid the information is given the official trade document hasn't been released yet, but from some simple google searches about leaked passages it looks like there's a lot in there that a lot of people won't like.

Well, the US might very well not ratify it - and if Canada is smart (as if the clandestine discussion between US-Japan isn't telling), it should be doing under the table side negotiations just about now.

AoD

This Friday, October 9th until Monday, October 12th, are the advance voting dates for the federal election.

Bring appropriate ID if you do vote.
v-crowd.jpg

I still haven't got a voter card, but my wife did...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...-candidate-jagdish-grewal-gay-youth-1.3259324

So, since the deadline to replace a candidate has passed, what would a party do if they got into trouble?

CBC News Alerts @CBCAlerts
Tory party confirm #JagdishGrewal is no longer its candidate in riding of Mississauga-Malton. It says his comments do not reflect its views.

CP24 @CP24
Jagdish Grewal is no longer a member of the Conservative party, according to a statement released by Tuesday night. More information coming.

Well, that is settled.

Last edited:
On the topic of people saying dumb things

upload_2015-10-6_20-52-24.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-6_20-52-24.png
    upload_2015-10-6_20-52-24.png
    496 KB · Views: 227
So basically, the CPC just forfeited that seat?
Well the candidate list is finalized...so he is on the ballot but they have kicked him out of the party so, I guess, he could win the seat and sit as an independant...but, yes, the CPC would not have a candidate there.

Back