News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Is that the case with the busway along the hydro corridor to York U?

The busway to York U is a bit of a special case. Passengers are point-to-point (they aren't interested in getting off anywhere but York U), the busway has turned out to be a purely temporary measure in light of the subway extension, and the time savings are not that terrific for the money spent. I am not sure whether the TTC is leasing the land from hydro, or whether they bought it outright. Given that the subway was at least in the minds of many in the planning stages of the busway, I suspect the former.

Busways along hydro corridors may work in specific circumstances, but using them for a general option for BRT is merely an excuse for people who don't want to see BRT on actual roads. Such people suspect it is a Trojan Horse for that most feared of transit modes, LRT.

Last edited:
Hydro or rail corridors are good for certain types of trips like the York U bus, but they also often have the disadvantage of usually not being near any high concentrations of homes, workplaces, or walkable commercial areas. So either the bus has to keep going in and out of the hydro corridor, or it becomes less convenient because of the long walk to the stations.

Perfect example is the Scarborough RT. Another example, although this isn't in a hydro corridor but has the same problem, is the university line subway going through a ravine & highway.

Having just watched Chow's campaign speech and a video on her website, I have to say her viewing transit as a way to spend more time with your family right now is very smart messaging. No-one can argue against that idea without coming off as incredibly mean-spirited. At least not in a way that goes beyond motivating your base, and only your base.

Welcome to my blocked list.

Does this mean we are not friends anymore?

Rob Ford supporting-types lecturing others on who they should/shouldn't vote for is like listening to Zimbabwean government advisors telling you how to keep inflation down. Chances are you'll be better off doing the opposite of what they preach.

My 2cents so far:
-not liking the "dirty tricks" from the Tory campaign (value of a dollar site)
-disappointed by Chow's lack of enthusiasm for the DRL. I'm a bit surprised how a lot of people on here that were avid supporters of the DRL are now softening their stance and supporting Chow's lukewarm support for the line. I had hoped that Chow would come out of the gate saying something like "i've got the balls to raise taxes for this infrastructure" rather than trying to appeal to the "fiscally responsible" crowd
-hoping for Soknacki's polling numbers to pick up so that he can be seem as a "viable candidate"
-hope Stintz drops out soon
-Regarding Ford, I hope Kevin Spacey responds to DoFo's recent comments in a cheeky manner

Anyone else get a phone call from "Olivia" last night?

Going back to the whole "Olivia Show getting the Chinese Community vote" conversation; there seems to be a disconnect between older generations and politicians that come from the same country they do. As if those politicians represent what they left their country of origin for. My parents and grandparents never threw their support behind any Italian politician. My mom will always tell me how much she despises Maria Augimeri from when we lived in Downsview and Mammoliti as well who almost always described as a rimbambito or a scemo.

But speaking frankly, no Italians should ever be allowed to run a government, just look at the circus in Italy right now!

I too haven't been impressed with the start of this campaign, it's still early and not everyone's platform is out there in the open.

Going back to the whole "Olivia Show getting the Chinese Community vote" conversation; there seems to be a disconnect between older generations and politicians that come from the same country they do. As if those politicians represent what they left their country of origin for. My parents and grandparents never threw their support behind any Italian politician. My mom will always tell me how much she despises Maria Augimeri from when we lived in Downsview and Mammoliti as well who almost always described as a rimbambito or a scemo.

But speaking frankly, no Italians should ever be allowed to run a government, just look at the circus in Italy right now!

I too haven't been impressed with the start of this campaign, it's still early and not everyone's platform is out there in the open.

Wow. Is Socnacki Italian-Canadian? Has there ever been an Italian-Canadian mayor?

Who would've thought that the first African-American president would come before the first Italian-American president?

Having just watched Chow's campaign speech and a video on her website, I have to say her viewing transit as a way to spend more time with your family right now is very smart messaging. No-one can argue against that idea without coming off as incredibly mean-spirited. At least not in a way that goes beyond motivating your base, and only your base.

It's flipping the whole "war on cars" thing in a way. Usually people using "going home to families" as an argument for pro-car decisions.

Wow. Is Socnacki Italian-Canadian? Has there ever been an Italian-Canadian mayor?

Who would've thought that the first African-American president would come before the first Italian-American president?

Ummm, David Soknacki is of Polish descent. Toronto has had an acting African-Canadian mayor, (William Peyton Hubbard), but otherwise the most "ethnically diverse" mayors Toronto ever had were Jewish.

Last edited:

I thought that name was japanese

Back