News   May 01, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 327     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 355     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Does Kouvalis eat babies or something? What makes him "evil"?

Yes, mind if you guys share some details for those of us whom are following the mayoral election for the first time?

The only thing I know about him is that he was Ford's adviser and back then he recommended some pretty shady election practices.

Last edited:
Does Kouvalis eat babies or something? What makes him "evil"?
He knew that Rob Ford was a wife-beating, drug using, drunken lying bigot, and still advocated that he was the right person to be Mayor of Toronto.

Surely anyone who would who know who Rob Ford really was, and then tried to convince the good people of Toronto to elect him, is evil.

Kouvalis has shown that he's willing to play dirty and is in it for the money. I think if Kouvalis ends up on Tory's team, it'll be wonderfull poetic- Kouvalis attempting to slay what he created. There is also one important thing that I think Kouvalis will be able to do- go after the Fords themselves. The candidates I feel, will be unwilling to go after the Fords, prefering to focus on the issues instead.

As long as the debate is on the issues and not on the Fords themselves, the Fords will be able to continue saying what they've been saying unchallenged. There needs to be one really good example of messaging that goes directly after the Fords and their record, laying out the lies in front of the people.

Tooth Fairy Ford?
Promises a subway paid with private money.
In reality- does no work to push subway.

Says that he helps the suburbs.
Actively votes against any iniative to help the suburbs.

Says he's the cleanest one around.
Office is the most opaque it's been in years.

Says he's brought jobs to city.
Unemployment has risen.

Says he'll cut waste without impact services.
Cuts services in a highly inefficient manner, effects are shown below (i.e. tree removal leading to icestorm, understaffing)

Says that they're the best around.
Actually scumbags.

etc. These need to summarize everything neatly into something that someone listening or looking can conveniently take home with them. A whole series of subway and AM radio ads would be great. Something to penetrate right into Ford's demographics.

I think Kouvalis is what we need to kill the Fords' political power, like it or not.

Last edited:
I think Kouvalis is what we need to kill the Fords' political power, like it or not.
100% disagree.

Ford isn't that powerful. He won't have the financial contributions this time. And more importantly he won't have the media support. And if the rumours are true, the chances of him making it to election day without being arrested are slim.

Turning to someone as utterly evil, unethical, and morally corrupt as Kouvalis is never necessary, even if it did make a difference getting rid of the Fords (and it won't).

The most effective way to kill the Fords' political power, is to eliminate the Fords. But that also (of course) can not be done. You don't turn to evil, to deal with evil. It's wrong.

He knew that Rob Ford was a wife-beating, drug using, drunken lying bigot, and still advocated that he was the right person to be Mayor of Toronto.

Surely anyone who would who know who Rob Ford really was, and then tried to convince the good people of Toronto to elect him, is evil.

I guess my definition of "evil" isn't as expansive as yours. Working for a politician I don't like isn't even close.

I guess my definition of "evil" isn't as expansive as yours. Working for a politician I don't like isn't even close.
Working for a politician I don't like isn't evil.

Working for someone that you know to be a lying, drug-using, wife-beating, bigot is different than working for a politician I don't like. I don't like Tom Mulcair, but I hold no grudges against any of his staff.

This isn't about politics.

Soknacki pledges to reform Toronto land transfer tax

“Homeowners in particular are being saddled with a tax that has not changed with the times,†Soknacki said Friday at City Hall.
Under Soknacki’s plan, the land transfer tax would be pegged to housing price inflation so the land transfer tax brackets would rise as house prices increase.
“What we’re doing is we are adjusting those taxes so that there will be savings for those that have entry level homes,†he said.

Also this lovely piece from Douggie: “I know (Soknacki) loves increasing taxes to build streetcars. We believe in lowering taxes to build subways, that’s the difference,†Ford said.

Soknacki campaign prepares to drop the gloves in Toronto mayoral battle
DAKSHANA BASCARAMURTY
The Globe and Mail
Published Monday, Feb. 17 2014, 3:00 AM EST
Last updated Monday, Feb. 17 2014, 3:00 AM EST

In the early days of campaigning, mayoral candidate David Soknacki’s approach couldn’t be more different from his chief opponent’s. He hasn’t gone near Mayor Rob Ford’s world-famous personal woes and has chosen complex policy statements instead of flashy, populist catchphrases. But soon, the gloves will be coming off.

“[Rob] Ford’s antics are actually helping us to build David’s profile, but our supporters don’t simply want us to grin and bear it,” said Brian Kelcey, Mr. Soknacki’s campaign manager in an e-mail Sunday afternoon. “We do have plans to take our campaign to Ford’s doorstep in at least a few ways over the next two weeks.”

While several other high-profile Torontonians such as Karen Stintz, Olivia Chow and John Tory are expected to enter the race for mayor, Mr. Soknacki is so far the only credible candidate to have registered to run against Mr. Ford. He has been upstaged by Mr. Ford’s team at several key moments in his campaign so far – enough times to feed a theory that these distractions have been deliberate.

“If Mr. Ford and his team wish to continue to operate by distracting residents, they’re of course free to do so but we’re going to continue to raise the issues and discuss them,” he said in an interview.

In early January, when the Soknacki 2014 campaign was launched, the mayor’s brother, Councillor Doug Ford, announced he was “leaning” toward running for a seat in the next provincial election. Later that month, after Mr. Soknacki made plans to give a speech at the Toronto Region Board of Trade, Mr. Ford announced he’d booked a speech at the Economic Club of Canada at the same time. In the end, most eyes were trained on Mr. Ford’s event – in part because he was reportedly stuck in an elevator and arrived nearly an hour late.

The latest distraction came Friday afternoon, when Mr. Soknacki made a policy announcement about plans to index the land transfer tax and rebates to inflation at the same time the Ford camp tweeted that the mayor and his brother were meeting with magician David Blaine at City Hall.

Despite urging from reporters, Mr. Soknacki’s team chose to make the announcement at Richmond and Simcoe streets, on a Friday before a long weekend. When only three members of the media showed up, he went to City Hall, where journalists were already assembled, and gave the press conference again.

Doug Ford, who is serving as his brother’s campaign manager, dismissed the notion of the mayor attempting to steal Mr. Soknacki’s thunder.

“I broke out laughing because I didn’t even know he was calling a press conference – didn’t have a clue,” Doug Ford said. “We don’t schedule around David Soknacki, that’s for sure.”

But even without the perceived distractions from the Ford camp, Mr. Soknacki faces another challenge: his wonkish style. Even at his second press conference on the land transfer tax, the former budget chief had difficulty explaining his proposal and told reporters to read the backgrounder.

“There’s a problem with being too smart,” said Councillor John Filion, who has spoken in support of Mr. Soknacki. “You almost have to make things overly simple, which is what appeals to a lot of the Ford supporters.”

On Thursday, Mr. Ford described his opponent as a “complete disaster” on the radio station Z103.5. In response, Mr. Soknacki rhymed off many “disasters” in Mr. Ford’s record: his inaction on the land transfer tax (which he had promised to eliminate when campaigning in 2010), his support of a tax hike to pay for the Scarborough subway and his repeated claims of saving the city specific amounts of money “that no one can quantify.”

While Mr. Filion said Mr. Soknacki could benefit from “simplifying his message,” he recommended against the mayoral hopeful borrowing any other pages from the Ford playbook and making attacks personal.

“You don’t step into the ring with Rob Ford because he’s got a tag-team wrestling team and will give you a body slam and toss you over the ropes,” he said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...es-in-toronto-mayoral-battle/article16919453/

Soknacki seems to be doing the right moves- IMO he should be selectively simplifying his message (not too many words), taking the war to Ford Nation territory (the suburbs, churches, AM Talk Shows), building up a list of supporters and strengthening his talking points against his weakest aspect- his association with David Miller.

Fillion's right though- going up against Doug and Rob will need some planning and work, especially considering how slimy they are in their actions. I would be warned of robocalls and the like.

Soknacki is starting to build name recognition. His early start was smart after all. People I know who don't generally follow politics are aware of him as "Not Rob Ford" and know his name. If John Tory sits this out, I can see Kouvalis and the draft John Tory movement shifting to Soknacki. I don't see similar feelings with regards to Karen Stintz. She's running a terrible pre-campaign and I wonder if it'll take off at all.

You are right, even the Fords are beginning to address Soknacki in recent days. (Which can only help Soknacki's name recognition, if the Fords continue to acknowledge his existence)

This election is shaping up to be nothing like an election with an incumbent. The amount of high profile candidates coming in makes this more like an open field election like when Lastman and Miller resigned and many candidates were vying for the empty chair. Despite the fear of vote splitting, I think that a diverse selection of candidates will hurt Ford's chances. It'll be like a re-do of 2010 except now people actually know Ford. With multiple candidates from all over the political spectrum to choose from, would people actually choose Ford knowing what they know now?

Elections usually end up converging on 2 or 3 top candidates and I think that once campaigns have played out and people are familiar with all the candidates, Ford won't even be in the front runners. He'll always get attention by virtue of incumbency and of being "Rob Ford" so that'll keep him in the final ballot choices but I'm growing ever more confident that it'll be two other candidates fighting for 1st and 2nd place with Ford not a factor.

Soknacki is starting to build name recognition. His early start was smart after all. People I know who don't generally follow politics are aware of him as "Not Rob Ford" and know his name. If John Tory sits this out, I can see Kouvalis and the draft John Tory movement shifting to Soknacki. I don't see similar feelings with regards to Karen Stintz. She's running a terrible pre-campaign and I wonder if it'll take off at all.

I agree on Soknacki, he really needed to get out there early because nobody really knows him. If/when Tory, Chow, Stintz and others join in, he's going to be pushed to the side because they are bigger names. I'm really hoping Tory doesn't run, he just doesn't seem to be the strong voice we need now. He comes across as wishy washy.

Myths and Realities about the Race for Toronto’s Mayor

Mayor Ford is perhaps the weakest incumbent in political memory. His strength lies merely in the myth that as long as he remains on the stage, unashamed after repeated floggings to his credibility, he has a chance at winning.

This misconception has its origins in truly gifted politicians like Bill Clinton, whose peccadilloes were much more circumscribed than Ford’s, and the fact that we live in the age of reality television, where hubris is perceived as a kind of invulnerability.

Of course, myths can become self-fulfilling, so long as everyone believes them.

[...]

Ford has made it political by repeatedly lying about how much money his policies have saved the city (not a billion dollars), whether there’s been a strike under his watch (library workers), the state of the city’s unemployment rate (10%, not 7%), the the city’s taxes (they were lower under Mel Lastman), his attendance at city council (not the best). It goes on and on. You can’t trust this guy to even tell you what time it is.

The media, both right and left wing, has called Ford out on these lies time and time again, but that hasn’t stopped him from running a campaign based on a blatant attempt to deceive voters.

[...]

The city is looking for a champion. Vision and policies are not enough this time around. Toronto needs someone who will take down Rob Ford, make him pay for what he has done to the city’s morale, and hang his failings around his neck like a necklace.

That is what is going to define this election. That’s the zeitgeist of the moment. Over time, voters will become cheered up as they perceive an electoral humiliation in the making.

http://steinsgeist.com/2014/02/13/myths-and-realities-about-the-race-for-torontos-mayor/

Last edited:

Back