News   Apr 26, 2024
 75     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 304     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 514     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

AKS -- you need to check out BurlOak in the transit threads to understand. Ford, through his complete incompetence, has stumbled within shouting distance of BurlOak's plan, which is the BEST TRANSIT PLAN EVER. So, if we re-elect Ford, there is a ghost of a chance he'll now stick to what he claims is his plan, and it's BO for the win.

Is BurlOak James Alcock?

Though to return to the mayoral race: one thing to keep in mind is that the final pecking order might not be clear until "sign time" comes along in the final month. Like in 2003, we were commonly referring to it as a 4-way free-for-all race--but then the moment it was legal to put up signs, it became clear from the ground-crew effort that Miller and Tory were the runaway frontrunners (even in areas you'd "least expect"), and Hall was near-invisible. And before long, it was all reflected in the polls...

Thank you for making my point by highlighting the most important difference between the private sector and the bureaucracy—and by surrogacy, Rob Ford and the rest.

In the private sector success is measured in accomplishments and achievements not time sheets. Successful businessmen know it's not about when you clock in and clock out or irrelevant personal issues on private time.

Irregardless, it's better than the alternative of waking up the next morning finding yourself in a loveless sham marriage. I'd feel bad for the kids.

At the end of the day you have to walk a mile in the shoes of real folks: Who would they rather vote for?

Someone who loves being mayor, is in it for the little guy, and wants to stay happily married or a lifelong professional do-nothinger who doesn't want the job and hates kids?

I'm not being hyperbolical when I say Toronto is probably on the primordial precipice. Falter now and it will be a nuclear holocaust that the city will never recover from.

The absolute worst case scenario would be to end up with a disinterested mayor who just wants power because he wants to be a puppet for the city hall backroom dealers that Rob Ford declared war on 4 years ago.

However I believe in the good of people.

I'd eat my shoe if on October 27 folks voted for more higher taxes, more streetcars clogging the streets, more garbage strikes, more police corruption, and more cancelled gas plants, over the best mayor they have ever had. Period.

This is the best one so far! Had me laughing out loud throughout.

Thank you for making my point by highlighting the most important difference between the private sector and the bureaucracy—and by surrogacy, Rob Ford and the rest.

In the private sector success is measured in accomplishments and achievements not time sheets. Successful businessmen know it's not about when you clock in and clock out or irrelevant personal issues on private time.

Irregardless, it's better than the alternative of waking up the next morning finding yourself in a loveless sham marriage. I'd feel bad for the kids.

At the end of the day you have to walk a mile in the shoes of real folks: Who would they rather vote for?

Someone who loves being mayor, is in it for the little guy, and wants to stay happily married or a lifelong professional do-nothinger who doesn't want the job and hates kids?

I'm not being hyperbolical when I say Toronto is probably on the primordial precipice. Falter now and it will be a nuclear holocaust that the city will never recover from.

The absolute worst case scenario would be to end up with a disinterested mayor who just wants power because he wants to be a puppet for the city hall backroom dealers that Rob Ford declared war on 4 years ago.

However I believe in the good of people.

I'd eat my shoe if on October 27 folks voted for more higher taxes, more streetcars clogging the streets, more garbage strikes, more police corruption, and more cancelled gas plants, over the best mayor they have ever had. Period.

The "irregardless" was a nice touch. Also the comment about "more cancelled gas plants", which is actually a pretty accurate representation, since most of the Ford voters I spoke with in the wake of the 2010 election mentioned the HST as one of the main reasons they voted for Ford.

The "irregardless" was a nice touch. Also the comment about "more cancelled gas plants", which is actually a pretty accurate representation, since most of the Ford voters I spoke with in the wake of the 2010 election mentioned the HST as one of the main reasons they voted for Ford.

Indeed. The flaw in the carpet that proves its perfection. Also. the Gleick-ian apocolypticism ('Primordial precipice', 'nuclear holocaust that the city will never recover from', 'Falter now', etc.)serves the narrative's wry, dry wellness and makes it even weller.

However, the lack of comma between 'However' and 'I' in "However I believe in the good of the people" was the master touch.

I'm amazed by the backlash to Chow's "I'm a woman. I'm not white" comments. Does anyone else think she was misconstrued and was just stating it as simple fact? I don't necessarily detect snark in that comment. I might if she had a history of making such statements but she is as vanilla as they come when it comes to public statements.

A whole lot of upheaval over nothing.

Last edited:
I'm amazed by the backlash to Chow's "I'm a woman. I'm not white" comments. Does anyone else think she was misconstrued and was just stating it as simple fact? I don't necessarily detect snark in that comment. I might if she had a history of making such statements but she is as vanilla as they come when it comes to public statements.

And yet Rob Ford's crack smoking is somehow a non-issue for many people.

Some people are grabbing at straws, real or imagined, when it comes to Olivia Chow. They grab at straws because they don't have anything else. Hence Tory criticizing her for not being as gung-ho on the DRL as he is (although he has offered no way to pay for it). Hence Dougie and Stintz giving a story that is old enough to vote one more swing with a baseball bat, piñata-style, hoping *this* time goodies will somehow spill out of it. Hence the way indignant white men are getting all huffy about how she contrasted herself with David Miller. In any other election, such things would be one-day stories. In this election, with this mayor, such stuff is impossibly minor league. Instead, we're getting outrage from Ford's better-spoken and better-behaved apologist, a former TTC chair who thinks a U-turn is a straight line (and who employs at least one person on her campaign who thinks it's funny to riff on people's accents), and a man with clear anger issues who is bored by such small-beer stuff as being a representative for his constituents. Bloody hell.

Last edited:

Tone is difficult to judge online, and many have deliberately taken it the wrong way, in the hopes of securing political advantage.

That's it? A quip about her being 'not Miller' and, months before the election, you're already eliminating Chow? After two debates out of a schedule of as many as 100? She never really had a shot at your vote then, methinks.

Actually, as leftists, we were really hoping for a champion in this election. With all the fuss, we assumed she would be it. And she didn't say she wasn't Miller, she said she wasn't a white male. It was a ridiculous and immature quip and tarnishes any polish she might have had.

We were led to believe that she would be an impressive candidate, and we simply don't see any evidence of that to date. And for the record, NONE of the candidates have our vote right now.

Back