News   Apr 26, 2024
 268     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 493     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.5K     4 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

The right to protest, sure. The right to riot, no.

When we're dealing (like here) with "extreme cases", one may have to allow for a little wiggle room on that part. Much as the Fords themselves are a little wiggle-roomy re "democracy".

Seems like it would be difficult at this point to find a sizeable number of other councillors or candidates who would support Rob.
Agreed, but the "Ford Nation" slate of preferred candidates could easily be mostly from outside the existing council.

Without some kind of strategy to overthrow the current city council, re-elected Rob will still be facing his one lone-wolf vote against all of council. He can talk about tearing up streetcar tracks, closing down newspapers, running the chief of police out of town and cutting city jobs by 30% if he so desires, but democracy will take care of the rest.
Although, he'd likely get a grace year or so where his agenda would have some weight (assuming there's no other major scandal during that period).

In 2010 fairly close to the election date they released a "Ford Nation"-approved slate of candidates in many wards and many weren't incumbants. In fact, they picked someone other than Mammo believe it or not! I'm sure they will do it again, even if it doesn't help them much.

The same could be said about a few other moron councillors. As Doug Ford once said, "council needs an enema".

The same could be said about a few other moron councillors. As Doug Ford once said, "council needs an enema".

I agree. Term limits should be imposed starting next term. Only 2 or at most 3 consecutive terms allowed. Councillors can run for their old jobs after a 4 year wait. I'd hate to lose some veteran councillors but if they're truly great, they will find another public service forum like Olivia Chow did. She was Councillor, stepped down to run for federal MP, got elected and now is returning to run for Mayor.

Overall, election laws need to be updated broadly. Mental fitness and a criminal background check should be a pre-requisite. A high standard Mayor removal mechanism (3/4 of council + Premier approval + Queens Park appeals format). Real consequences for ethics violations. Ford has made a mockery of our system and has proven it completely toothless. That has to change after the Provincial Election.

I can't think of a more stupid idea for a democracy than restricting people from running just because they are popular.

The problem with democracy is the short term thinking and the lack of concern for long term consequences. And term limits forces politicians to think short term and ignore the long term. They have no choice.

City of Toronto news release from today:
On October 27 more than 1.7 million City of Toronto electors will be eligible to vote in the municipal election. To engage residents on why it is important to vote, the City of Toronto is holding two creative competitions, the Design Your Vote poster contest and the Your Voice, Your Vote video contest. Submissions will be received from February 3 to May 4.

"In 2010, the City held the Bring It By Ballot contest, which was extremely successful in creating awareness of the election that year," said Ulli S. Watkiss, City Clerk. "After seeing the creative results from the entrants four years ago, we wanted to explore more ways of engaging Toronto in the upcoming election, which is why we are holding these two new contests. We are looking for creative ways that residents can engage with their local communities. We encourage eligible residents to vote on October 27."

Both contests allow residents of Toronto the opportunity to express their creativity about the City, and what the municipal election means to them. Themes of both contests should encompass the importance of city services and how voting affects those services in everyday life. The content should be relevant, respectful and non-partisan in nature, and as a forum for entrants to express their artistic side while being civic-minded. Submissions for either contest must not be shown endorsing a candidate or any political party affiliation.

From February 3 to May 4, submissions for both contests may be sent to elections@toronto.ca. Age requirements for the Design Your Vote poster contest are between the ages of 13 and 24 and residents of any age may enter the Your Voice, Your Vote video contest. Full contest details, rules and application forms are available on the City's website http://www.toronto.ca/elections/contests.

;)

[video=youtube;jKofnVkUwBA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKofnVkUwBA[/video]

I can't think of a more stupid idea for a democracy than restricting people from running just because they are popular.

The problem with democracy is the short term thinking and the lack of concern for long term consequences. And term limits forces politicians to think short term and ignore the long term. They have no choice.
I completely agree that restricting councillors to x years is undemocratic; I understand why one might want to get one of the useless ones out (and far too many are past their best-before date) but that's what voting is for. Having a councillor with experience and a long-term vision is an asset to the city and the voter can assess them on actual performance not election promises. A new strong candidate ought to be able to defeat a useless incumbent; if not they may not be as good as one expects.

goldsbie 3:13pm via Web
Likely vying for Del Grande's seat: his son John (a TCDSB trustee) and Sam Sotiropoulos (a TDSB trustee). Both make Mike look progressive.

Isn't Del Grande's son an UrbanToronto member – or at least was? I remember when Mike Del Grande was running, a regular member (can't remember who) said their dad was running for City Council.

Back