361     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     0 

2008 Urban Toronto Community Project

Andrew3D

Member Bio
Reaction score
2008 Urban Toronto Community Project

I was thinking, we all have great ideas on how the city can and should improve. What better way to do it then to pool some ideas and thoughts together about how we as a group of people who care about Toronto can take action.

Some possible ideas could be to choose neglected neighborhoods and clean them up. We could help restore an old run down community centre, do some gorilla gardening, you name it. I'm sure if we came up with a strong game plan we could get some sponsors and community approval for our idea(s)

This year I'd like to give back a little and contribute physically and financially towards making some of the improvements we all talk about in this forum. Anybody else in? Or is this already something ongoing, if so please re-link this thread.

:)

Sorry, only images I could find to get the point across, kind of:rolleyes:. http://www.branchplant.com/landscape/greenerp_detail.html

PLANT-Greener-P-(before).jpg

plant-greener-p_after_big.jpg

The Junction thread made me think of the parking lot at the SW cor Keele Dundas...

Andrew it's a good idea. After a few pilot projects it would be logical to see UT evolve into a legitimate registered charity with a prime advocacy mandate.

This would allow the organization to seek out bigger corporate and community partners, solicit free advertising remainder space to expose our "good" propaganda (this of course is a great way to be seen and heard without the necessity of "who you know" connections at City Hall) and ultimately develop real leverage with decision-makers.

And Ed would have a nice dental plan for the family as the founding Executive Director.

One way to start would be to make our presence felt at various community clean-up days, often tied to Earth Day, in April.

We really need to get the UrbanToronto T-Shirt or Sweatshirt thing going...

Andrew, great idea. Count me in too. The foregoing ideas are very good but perhaps a bit too ambitious, especially for a first project. Here's my candidate: there's a triangular patch of asphalt attached to the Cordova ttc parking lot (at Islington station). It's at the top of the stairs leading down to Islington Ave. Right now, you'll find discarded construction materials and dozens of pigeons. Every time I walk by there, I think that it wouldn't take much to transform that eyesore. Some benches, plants and pavers. There are already a couple of nice trees. It could be a nice place for the residents of the nearby apartment buildings to congregate. And maybe, it wil cease to be a no-man's land which encourages all of the grafitti.

planting trees, shrubs, ect in the city would be fun, urban art aswell, like painting , funkdify the city, mosaics, murals, sculptures ect, really brighten up dull grey areas!

Back