News   Apr 24, 2024
 257     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.4K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 625     0 

2 Ossington (@ Queen, NDS Properties, 4s, SMV Architects)

2 August 2012:

20120802142200.jpg

20120802142204.jpg

What an odd grouping of people in that photo. I'm curious to know what the lady with plane plans to do with it, what the rather man-ish looking lady on the left is dragging behind her, and where the klassy chick with the smoke hanging out of her mouth is rushing to!!

Looks like a nice little in-fill project.

So, there is a Starbucks logo with a sign that says opening soon right on the corner. I can only assume the Starbucks on Dovercourt is moving to Ossington, unless it signals the Starbucks in every corner invasion. Odd choice of location, with Crafted and Ideal Coffee up the road.

I hate how the corner of the building comes so close to the intersection. It will create a serious pedestrian bottleneck on the sidewalk that will lead to my continual hatred of this building (and possibly a few pedestrian deaths as people get understandably frustrated and walk on the street). I was liking the building in general, and the starbucks wasn't a deal breaker (as I was expecting a chain something or other as most new developments attract), but the intrusion onto the sidewalk is unforgivable. Big fail. The only thing that can save this corner is the sidewalks expanding out onto the road, which there is room for but I can't see happening.

This building is so weird. Usually in Toronto, buildings fail because they have a decent design but poor materials/execution. This one has great materials/execution but a very poor design. What's with those oddly-shaped windows, all of which are off synch with each other? And why does that side entrance have to jut out like a box?

Starbucks on Dovercourt is staying. Gentrification in full swing with the 2nd Starbucks on the way.

Yeah, it's like the "what's worse than an abominable snowman" moment for the Drake-you-ho-this-is-all-your-fault crowd.

I find the scale of the place weird. It reminds me of podiums of future office towers that were squelched by the Great Depression.

It looked like Starbucks was open when I was by there on Thursday

That Starbucks was pretty busy when I was in the area today, Gravity Pope has also opened and the store looks great.

On a side note, I love the vibe on Ossington between Queen and Dundas West. It's too bad other parallel streets on the west side (Bathurst, Dovercourt, Dufferin, etc) don't have similar established retail buildings consistently lining the street.

Photos taken 1 January 2013

IMG_2074_1_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2075_1_1-XL.jpg

This stretch of West Queen West has seen a lot of renovations.

IMG_2076_1_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2072_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2070_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2071_1-XL.jpg

Back