News   Jun 26, 2024
 145     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Toronto Hotel Victoria 56 Yonge St ( 8 storey addition )

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5E 1G5

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 136557 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Mar 20, 2013

Project: Non-Residential Building Addition

Description: Proposal for an 8 storey addtion to existing hotel.

Capture56.JPG

I really hope they don't ruin it. I quite like this stretch of Yonge (from the King area to Front). It feels like a real, old school downtown, almost New York-esque. Old buildings, lots of brick and masonry, buildings right out to the sidewalk with no setbacks. It reminds me of a bygone area that I wasn't even around for but has been romanticized in movies and on TV. I'm not saying it's a perfect or modern way to develop a street, but I like it.

I really hope they don't ruin it. I quite like this stretch of Yonge (from the King area to Front). It feels like a real, old school downtown, almost New York-esque. Old buildings, lots of brick and masonry, buildings right out to the sidewalk with no setbacks. It reminds me of a bygone area that I wasn't even around for but has been romanticized in movies and on TV. I'm not saying it's a perfect or modern way to develop a street, but I like it.

I generally try not to say this because it's cliche, but this building does always give me a nice urban London or NYC vibe; it's a beautiful old building and I notice and enjoy it numerous times a week on my walk to school.

I'm very curious to see what this addition looks like. I feel like I'd rather it not be altered at all, but if they can do an interesting job, then maybe I can be convinced :)

Last edited:
This little independent hotel is a hidden gem, reminds me of those old school NYC boutique hotels. But doubling the height of it, makes me think the hotel might be turning into a generic chain? I hope I'm wrong.

This little independent hotel is a hidden gem, reminds me of those old school NYC boutique hotels. But doubling the height of it, makes me think the hotel might be turning into a generic chain? I hope I'm wrong.

whether a hotel is generic really doesn't on the size. A small hotel isn't necessarily independent and more unique. I don't know why many people think large means chains and small means independent and interesting. Most Super 8s/711s are small. Most boring retail on Yonge st is small too.

On the contrary, too small a size makes it difficult for a hotel to compete with others because it has to charge a lot more to recover the fixed costs. Plus, if a hotel is successful, more than likely it will expand and there is nothing wrong with that. Being big or become chain doesn't mean it becomes generic and uninteresting.

The iTrade, BMO Insurance , and the Hotel Victoria property could be combined for a massive office tower development. This addition will not only look awkward from the street but willl take away some of that potential.

Perhaps, but would the allowed density bring in enough return compared to the current use? It is a 12 storey office building after all. The building next door - Victoria Hotel - sold for around 20 mill earlier this year also to an investment company from BC - BCIMC. 56 Yonge, south of that, hasn't sold recently I don't
believe.

Hmm? can this thread have anything to do with the proposal @ 25 King W..https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/25-king-st-w-64s.28164/

56 yonge.PNG

Attachments

• 56 yonge.PNG
    56 yonge.PNG
    425 KB · Views: 508
Yup, this is being brought into the Commerce Court re-do.

Yup, this is being brought into the Commerce Court re-do.

Interesting, so this is the part I don't understand. Why is Lanterra, a traditionally residential developer, involved in the purchase of 60 Yonge, and how does that relate to 25 King? Is part of this CF related or something, since Lanterra is a, IIRC, a subsidiary or at least in some way related to CF, are they not?

I guess this would give the Commerce Court III a Yonge Street address? Though this would be an awkward way of doing so.

Back