News   Jul 16, 2024
 71     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 823     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 957     1 

15 Wellesley E (Parking lot redevelopment, Plaza, ?s, Quadrangle)

Ya sorry I cannot identify ANYTHING from her tweet, or the above renders.

The renders have nothing to do with this project. The tower closer to Yonge will be the taller of the 2

Capture.png
Capture1.png

Quadrangle and KPF are working together on this

edit: I stand corrected below

Last edited:
The design concept comes from KPF, but they have since been let go by Plaza. Quadrangle would have been the Architect of Record on this anyway, but it has now been passed on to them to handle design work as well while the proposal evolves.

Attachments

• 2db757p.jpg
    2db757p.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 1,086
Last edited:
I am not sure that the planned square constitutes much of a "park" and that it is the best use of space. I would rather seen some green, as opposed to concrete. (and I am sure that area could perhaps use a large public gathering place. I am just not convinced that it would be used enough for large public gatherings, to justify not having a green park here instead).

The square is there to be used during Pride every year as an event space (events currently take place in that parking lot each Pride). There will be a large grassy park just one block to the west in the next couple of years!

I am not sure that the planned square constitutes much of a "park" and that it is the best use of space. I would rather seen some green, as opposed to concrete. (and I am sure that area could perhaps use a large public gathering place. I am just not convinced that it would be used enough for large public gatherings, to justify not having a green park here instead).

To be fair though, the new park on Wellesley is literally 2 minutes away. As to KPF no longer being involved - it's never a great sign when architects are ditched (e.g. loss of details in Minto Midtown when SOM get replaced by their local partners Zeidler)

AoD

Last edited:

I'm okay with a square here, since there's a lot of nearby green space, as others have mentioned. What I'd like to see is some animation like independent food stalls, or even street vendors in the park. The pop-up cafe is great, but it's worth considering more community-oriented, informal commercial space. The village has sufficient foot traffic to support it.

I'm okay with a square here, since there's a lot of nearby green space, as others have mentioned. What I'd like to see is some animation like independent food stalls, or even street vendors in the park. The pop-up cafe is great, but it's worth considering more community-oriented, informal commercial space. The village has sufficient foot traffic to support it.
Agreed.

And yes, as has been pointed out, there is green space nearby. My only concern is that the square will be windswept for much of the time unless animated with reasons for people to be there. Without a public building to generate traffic (like City Hall), it has the potential to be lifeless. (but my fingers are crossed for something to engage people).

Agreed.

And yes, as has been pointed out, there is green space nearby. My only concern is that the square will be windswept for much of the time unless animated with reasons for people to be there. Without a public building to generate traffic (like City Hall), it has the potential to be lifeless. (but my fingers are crossed for something to engage people).

The current illustrative design certainly isn't compelling enough to suggest it will succeed as a great urban space.

AoD

I've moved posts related to the development of 20-26 Maitland into a new thread, as that's now going ahead without 15 Wellesley E.

Back