Toronto 10 St Mary | 197.73m | 60s | Mattamy Homes | a—A

I'd prefer to see these demolished but require the developer to pay for the restoration of the townhouses a block or south where there's a really fine, continuous set of old storefronts.

That's not really the way these things work. Unless they're already designated and are of significant enough cultural significance that a developer would not try and buy them / redevelop the site, they're still out there as 'available real estate'.

From the April Toronto Preservation Board:

upload_2017-4-10_11-48-36.png

upload_2017-4-10_11-48-44.png

upload_2017-4-10_11-48-53.png

upload_2017-4-10_11-49-1.png

upload_2017-4-10_11-49-9.png

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2017/pb/bgrd/backgroundfile-102682.pdf

Can't really tell if it is 50s - looks like aA.

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-10_11-48-36.png
    upload_2017-4-10_11-48-36.png
    606.7 KB · Views: 543
  • upload_2017-4-10_11-48-44.png
    upload_2017-4-10_11-48-44.png
    134.7 KB · Views: 506
  • upload_2017-4-10_11-48-53.png
    upload_2017-4-10_11-48-53.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 532
  • upload_2017-4-10_11-49-1.png
    upload_2017-4-10_11-49-1.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 532
  • upload_2017-4-10_11-49-9.png
    upload_2017-4-10_11-49-9.png
    70 KB · Views: 523
aA at their best: breaking down the typical tower-podium into an array of different volumes, each expressed in a motif that is simple and visually pleasing but differentiated from the others. It's very metropolitan, and it's particularly strong when integrated into heritage fabric that contribute their own language to the block.

The heritage plan here is impressive; the modernist structure and buildings along St. Nicholas maintained in their entirety. This is a project that I do hope the OMB gets behind.

aA at their best: breaking down the typical tower-podium into an array of different volumes, each expressed in a motif that is simple and visually pleasing but differentiated from the others. It's very metropolitan, and it's particularly strong when integrated into heritage fabric that contribute their own language to the block.

The heritage plan here is impressive; the modernist structure and buildings along St. Nicholas maintained in their entirety. This is a project that I do hope the OMB gets behind.

This site is highly constrained by heritage assets, it looks to more more like aA simply extruded the one part of the site that didn't have an existing heritage structure sitting on it, then had the main tower overhang part of the heritage building below to maximize GFA. The upper mechanical penthouse is restricted by the angular plane from Yonge Street. Beyond facade treatment, nothing here speaks innovative architecture to me. It speaks of getting as much developable space as possible. Facade treatment I'm sure will be typical high quality, but also aAs signature bland,modernist style.

This site is highly constrained by heritage assets, it looks to more more like aA simply extruded the one part of the site that didn't have an existing heritage structure sitting on it, then had the main tower overhang part of the heritage building below to maximize GFA. The upper mechanical penthouse is restricted by the angular plane from Yonge Street. Beyond facade treatment, nothing here speaks innovative architecture to me. It speaks of getting as much developable space as possible. Facade treatment I'm sure will be typical high quality, but also aAs signature bland,modernist style.

It's amazing, though, you and I are in agreement here, while others see the opposite. Pretty ho-hum design here. Attractive, yes, but nothing spectacular.

Think we have to stop hiding behind "they really wanted to do something amazing here but were held back by budget". I'm not going to argue that HP is better, that's all opinion, but how do they manage to push the envelope? Do they not have the same constraints?

aA is held to a higher standard mainly because they did some really nice stuff some years ago and kinda just stopped with the exception of a few projects here and there. I won't mention the contingent of people who praise them for virtually everything. I'm critical of everyone, but while I saw aA as being heads and shoulders better than everyone 10 years ago, the pack seems to have caught up.

My 2 cents.

It's only lately that I noticed the Country Style at the corner closed--which *really* deadens 10 St Mary's present-day aspect...

Think we have to stop hiding behind "they really wanted to do something amazing here but were held back by budget". I'm not going to argue that HP is better, that's all opinion, but how do they manage to push the envelope? Do they not have the same constraints?

aA is held to a higher standard mainly because they did some really nice stuff some years ago and kinda just stopped with the exception of a few projects here and there. I won't mention the contingent of people who praise them for virtually everything. I'm critical of everyone, but while I saw aA as being heads and shoulders better than everyone 10 years ago, the pack seems to have caught up.

My 2 cents.

Outside of HPA and maybe Core, who else fills out this 'pack'?

Outside of HPA and maybe Core, who else fills out this 'pack'?

aA glass box style has been copied by a number of firms. That's not aA's fault but mainly builders probably commanding that kind of style. Several firms have copied that style in recent years.

But with regards to who's doing comparable work and has cosed the gap....off the top of my head? RAW, KPMB, Saucier + Perotte, Teeple, even Wallman has done some comparable work (albeit a few flops recently). Now these aren't better firms, but aA is no longer the far and away leader.

Back