News   Apr 26, 2024
 178     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 432     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.3K     4 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
What a massive once in a lifetime missed opportunity. ??‍♂️

Something big is cooking behind the scenes for this building. Can’t say much, but expecting an announcement about a new significant tenant that may change things up quite a bit.

If I can get more info on timing, I’ll share here.

One would tend to hope it couldn't possibly be made worse....................

Why am I now picturing a 250,000sq foot Canadian Tire? ?

If ScotiaBank can brand a cinema, why not CT? Canadian Tire money now buys you the latest blockbuster and popcorn at the Canadian Tire Theatre.

If ScotiaBank can brand a cinema, why not CT? Canadian Tire money now buys you the latest blockbuster and popcorn at the Canadian Tire Theatre.

Something tells me it will be another Rec Room and the movie theatre is getting das boot.

Realistically there is not much that can be done with the spaces there short of removing all the tenants on one floor.

Something tells me it will be another Rec Room and the movie theatre is getting das boot.

Realistically there is not much that can be done with the spaces there short of removing all the tenants on one floor.

I don't see the cinema going anywhere in the near term.

It can be quite busy at times............and remember, Scotiabank Cinema is going to close in the next couple of years, and a replacement cinema will be at least 2, and probably more like 3-4 years in the offing.

Not too sure about an Apple Store, they like upscale places and that corner (and building) is by no means upscale in any way.

Personally I'm hoping for some interior reorganization plus further exterior renovations- what's the world's largest digital billboard at right now?

LOL! Thankfully, it's not Canadian Tire. Doesn't even sound like it's a retailer - but definitely something that will attract way more people than the building does today. Hopefully everything works out and we hear something soon. I'm curious what it would mean for existing tenants and if it would come with any exterior improvements.

I agree there is no rescuing the awkward floor plans being built over the Ryerson garage. The only way is starting over.

The exterior is contracted out to the 3rd party sign company. Doubtful we can expect major architectural changes there.

I agree there is no rescuing the awkward floor plans being built over the Ryerson garage. The only way is starting over.

The exterior is contracted out to the 3rd party sign company. Doubtful we can expect major architectural changes there.

Ideally - the whole block should be razed and broken down (extension of O'Keefe Lane) and redeveloped separately.

AoD

Deep-pocket developer needed with a dream architect tagging along - good location for a preferred hotel? This place is a shambles. I know, dreaming in technicolor.

Ideally - the whole block should be razed and broken down (extension of O'Keefe Lane) and redeveloped separately.

AoD

Sad to say but it is true. The building is a failure of the highest degree. It is a brutalist atrocity of the highest order.

The interior is a concrete bunker with misaligned spaces and an odd layout while the exterior facade is concrete and metal grills everywhere.

They need to tear it down and rebuild it into something more useful. It may have looked good in the blueprints but when completed it is an eyesore and completely non-functional inside. As I said before, the floor plan inside the building is so poorly laid out that the stores are small, they have awkward corners and shapes in the spaces. Even the construction itself does not lend to much more than restaurants.. it is not the sort of places big box retailers want to be. Stores like Apple, Nordstroms, etc want to be in the hip and happening spots not the nearest concrete bunker.

Forget dream architect - something along the conceptual lines of Mirvish Village would be ideal.

AoD

Assuming as movie theatre function remained on site, how about recreating the facade of the Biltmore theatre which was once a part of this block?

What a great entrance to a movie theatre.

That, and the old Empress hotel and then fill in the balance w/something more modern that fits well.

(I'm not suggesting recreating the heritage buildings themselves, just their appearance. Hey, we're a City expert at facadism, we might as well own it! LOL)

biltmore1.jpg

Image above is from https://torontosavvy.me/tag/biltmore-theatre-toronto/

The old hotel in her glory days:

From The Star: https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/..._hotel_firebug_12_years_jail_crown_urges.html

Back