News   Aug 09, 2024
 43     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 272     0 
News   Aug 08, 2024
 775     0 

1 Sumach Street (Cube Cluster)

I'm not exactly averse to retention, but it doesn't have to be *there*. One suggestion I made on Twitter was to move it to Cherry Loop as an operator washroom - I think that was deemed heartless to the sitting tenant, but given the air quality he is likely living in at the current site he should probably worry more about his actual heart and move.

The house has several thousand square feet, which is too much space for a mere operator washroom.

Reminds me Captain John's ship, an idea well past its use-by date but whose fate is delayed by public interference and government indifference.

It's a privately owned structure on a privately owned piece of property. There's hundreds of thousands out there. Interference and indifference is just a tad thick.

So some news:
  • The property was purchased for $2.75 million "by real estate developer Jeff Craig and real estate expert Taso Boussoulas"
  • They plan on redeveloping the land
  • They would also prefer not to destroy the cubes, and donate them to the city or, failing that, a private taker

Oh man...I've been in there, looked at renting it a decade or so back, the then owner was a CBC line producer, a 'friend of friends' and he was looking to move out himself, and rent to someone who had the right qualifications to 'run' the place as well as pay the rent. It was gorgeous inside, and not as awkward a geometry as it looks outside.

I'm late to this string, just looking at the latest pics is painful.

Looks like the future of the Cube House remains uncertain as to when redevelopment will happen:

But since the wedge-shaped property was purchased in 2018 by land developers Jeff Craig and Taso Boussoulas, many in the city have kept a watchful eye on this prized piece of architecutre, waiting for its demise.

According to cube resident Martin Trainor, a main tenant who's been living inside the structure for nearly two decades, there've been no plans announced yet.

"No one's come around here for years," says Trainor, who works as a news producer and photographer with CBC.

Trainor says that, while real estate people did drop by the property back in 2018 as the property were being sold, there's been little noise since then.

Back