News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 577     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 880     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumour only

Hey I heard through a real estate agent that the development has been taken over by Tridel?

I'm not a vultur or vultur type but has anyone heard this?

Seems to me that it would lose all its "elite" allure if Tridel builds it. Yes it is a solid company, but it seems to have a "run of the mill" rep, not one that should be building a luxury condo at such an important site.

JMHO of course!

1BE isn't exactly an architectural masterpiece as is. So I have no problem with Tridel taking over.

Ellis Don is building the project. They should be starting it in the near future.

Hey I heard through a real estate agent that the development has been taken over by Tridel?

I'm not a vultur or vultur type but has anyone heard this?

hmmm... althought this is not a new rumour ... if this is an agent working FOR YOU, I'll reconsider my business relationship with this person passing on un-based comments like that to clients

according to a check on the land registry system ... it shows since December 2006, 'ONE BLOOR STREET EAST LIMITED' (Bazis ?) has acquired and owned the property with no further land transfers registered since ... :)

Last edited:
I know its only a rumour but i bet you if Tridel takes over this development there will most likley be one more design change.

Guarenteed design change if this was the case...lmao But at least it would surely be built quickly...lol

If I had my say, I'd take a 60 story Peter Wallman creation over anything by the Bazis crew.

1BE isn't exactly an architectural masterpiece as is. So I have no problem with Tridel taking over.

I totally agree with these comments ... if Tridel does actually take over there will definitely be a significant design change, and maybe there will then be a good looking building on this site ~ and built (relatively) on time as planned :D

Seems to me that it would lose all its "elite" allure if Tridel builds it. Yes it is a solid company, but it seems to have a "run of the mill" rep, not one that should be building a luxury condo at such an important site.

JMHO of course!

Bazis = elite + luxury condo ? ... don't agree (at least not based on the 1BE or CrystalBlu design)

I see Tridel as designing buildings according to the appropriate market appeal on each site ... yes projects like the recent Hullmark Centre are not particularly exciting, but they have some good looking 'upscale' projects as well in their portfolio such as Skymark Centre, Govenor's Hill, 10 Old York Mills, plus 'Huntington' being marketed currently ... modern buildings such as Triomphe (my favourite), Meridian, Verve, James Cooper, Accolade, Ultra Ovation are not bad looking either IMO :)

Ellis Don is building the project. They should be starting it in the near future.

I can't even remember how long ago it was when Bazis announced that already ... haha :rolleyes:

Well, I am not sure Tridel would do a better design, based on precedent. I can't get off my mind their two buildings (I nicknamed them The Two Towers, as in the Lord of the Rings), which are on the Northeast side of 401 and Yonge, just east of the (much better and modern looking) curved Menkes towers facing Yonge. These two nasty clunkers are huge, wide, and their dark sand colour certainly does not help either. Designwise they are retro PoMo (not elegantly done like One St. Thomas by Stern) but hideous McMansion suburban PoMo. I can tell that the company has tried to modernize their buildings since (I'm sure because of the competition) but we still have to deal with looking at those "Two Towers" for eternity.

Last edited:
Well, I am not sure Tridel would do a better design, based on precedent. I can't get off my mind their two buildings (I nicknamed them The Two Towers, as in the Lord of the Rings), which are on the Northeast side of 401 and Yonge, just east of the (much better and modern looking) curved Menkes towers facing Yonge. These two nasty clunkers are huge, wide, and their dark sand colour certainly does not help either. Designwise they are retro PoMo (not elegantly done like One St. Thomas by Stern) but hideous McMansion suburban PoMo. I can tell that the company has tried to modernize their buildings since (I'm sure because of the competition) but we still have to deal with looking at those "Two Towers" for eternity.

these buildings you speak of are Skymark Centre ... which I actually think are good looking :) ... but this just brings back the notion that assessment of design and aesthetics vary depending on personal taste and preferences :D

80-harrison.jpg

I thought those clunkers were built by Shane Baghai. (sp)

I thought those clunkers were built by Shane Baghai. (sp)

this site shows the buildings built @ Yonge + 401

http://wikimapia.org/750722/Mansions-of-Avondale

Shane Baghai built 'Mansions of Avondale' (14s), 'Residences of Avondale' (27s), and 'One Avondale Lofts' (20s) ...
Menkes built 'Spectrum' (27s+23s) ...
Tridel built Skymark Centre (31s+29s) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back