News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 377     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the green belt restricting subdivisions in the future I'm sure more of these developers will turn to condos. Aspen Ridge just recently started with highrises after years of just doing houses.

For the record ... Greenpark has 2 high-rise projects under construction ... being the Rosedale @ Eglinton+DVP (22+26s) and the Richmond @ Yonge+Major Mackenzie (14s), there is also an active proposal / development application proposed at 424-460 Adelaide St E @ Ontario St (19s) in downtown Toronto

I wouldn't dismiss Greenpark as potential buyer of the 1BE site, they would have as much interest as any other 'traditionally' low-rise builders like Fernbrook + Aspen Ridge to play in the high-rise business
Wow, they sure didn't list those in the map on their website. Poor marketing on their part (or weak research on my part). I had an entirely different impression of this company.

With the green belt restricting subdivisions in the future I'm sure more of these developers will turn to condos. Aspen Ridge just recently started with highrises after years of just doing houses.
Great Gulf also made the jump in the early part of this decade after building mostly houses, afaik.

hmm...its so sad to hear (read) what some of the people are saying about the project and how it might not be built due to a number of problems.
But what is bazis actually saying about 1 bloor? if there is a high chance they will not build it and the project will fail why do they keep going and wasting time? wouldn’t they have pulled out already?
im asking only cuz i really want this great project to start soon...i hope!:eek:

you guys think maybe they will keep trying until the economy get better? something tells me its still going to be a while :s
lets keep our fingers crossed :p

But what is bazis actually saying about 1 bloor?

Bazis has said BOO so far

you guys think maybe they will keep trying until the economy get better? something tells me its still going to be a while :s
lets keep our fingers crossed :p

yup Bazis will keep on trying, that is, until their economic viability extension date runs out and they have to either start construction or return deposits ;)

P'raps we'll end up with a nice set of rowhouses on the site, like that stuff on Bathurst they built a few years ago. A bunch of kitsch all piled up on top of each other along little lanes, where the first thing you notice everywhere are the HVAC units.

P'raps we'll end up with a nice set of rowhouses on the site, like that stuff on Bathurst they built a few years ago. A bunch of kitsch all piled up on top of each other along little lanes, where the first thing you notice everywhere are the HVAC units.

Are you referring to the TH across from the Spadina subway station?

Yossi, you have provided excellent construction information on other luxury towers (Shangri-La, for example). Any chance you can get us some decent information on construction plans, timing, etc. for this tower?

If I had to guess, I'd say he was talking about the eye-gougingly bad development on the east side of Bathurst, just north of Queen.

Oh yes ..... those are horrendous also ... the 'gardens on queen' (even though they're on bathurst)

Sorry for dragging this on...

Great Gulf also made the jump in the early part of this decade after building mostly houses, afaik.

True. They have done a few decent condo projects as well, including The Morgan, St. James and 18 Yorkville. They are also quite involved with commercial developments with retail, industrial and office parks (like the BMO call centre in Miss.)

Sorry for dragging this on...

True. They have done a few decent condo projects as well, including The Morgan, St. James and 18 Yorkville. They are also quite involved with commercial developments with retail, industrial and office parks (like the BMO call centre in Miss.)
Yeah, those are what I meant by early part of this decade (Morgan ~2002 I think?). They went from building traditional blah suburban subdivisions to some of the finest highrise condos downtown.

Right-o. I mentioned the commercial projects because they are still doing blah suburban developments, just not residential.

5 day old "news" - nothing new here that we don't already know - but on point:

http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=1462988

The recession is hard on our wallets, but a boon for sightlines at Yonge& Bloor

Steve Murray, National Post Published: Saturday, April 04, 2009

Q So, what's happening with that patch of newly razed land at Yonge & Bloor? I've heard they've stopped work on the condo that's supposed to go up there. -- Jill Fournier

A Ah, yes, the site of "1 Bloor," the condo project that had people clamouring for positions in line to clamour for positions in the building. One of the major financial backers for the project was Lehman Brothers. You might know them from their long, rich history of financial services or for their high-profile bankruptcy last September (the largest in U. S. history!). When I asked about the project's status, the developer, Bazis International, told me, well, nothing. A very nice lady did say that they weren't ready to talk to the media yet, which could mean anything, but probably nothing in the "good news" category. So, if I had to make an educated guess, I'd say there will be a nice patch of nothing there for a while still. Damn you, economic hardship! - Email your queries about the city to todo@nationalpost.com. Steve Murray has answers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back