News   Jul 15, 2024
 626     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 773     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 603     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
seems to me that this project is going ahead remarkably quickly.
from vision to 'concrete' plan to sales to demolition and now signs of excavation.
does anyone know if this is true or if it's just following the usual time frame.
i certainly know it's going ahead waaaay faster than trump did but that may not be typical.

Here is a photo of the building containing the window they are trying to salvage circa 1930's from the city archives website.
f1257_s1057_it0053.jpg

Grocery store at 1 Bloor East?

I have just read that a 40,000 sq ft grocery store will be included at the 1 Bloor project? can anyone confirm this in any city reports or plans, and who the grocery tenant might be? Would it be in the basement?

One Bloor (1 Bloor Street East)
On December 18, 2007, the City held a community consultation meeting to update residents on revised plans for this site, revised to include the acquisition of the Shoe Company building at Yonge & Hayden. Plans now include widening Hayden Street to the eastern edge of the property line and making this stretch 2-way to accommodate ingress/egress to the new development. Residents were pleased to learn retail would include a 40,000 square feet grocery store. The revised plan also includes an additional amount in the Section 37 community benefits. Councillor Rae suggested a plaque commemorating Roy Square's history.
from: http://www.gyra.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=29

Perhaps I'm being overly cynical, but does this seem a little twee to anyone else?

It certainly does. I personally feel no loss with the removal of Roy Square from the city's fabric, and placing a plaque here to commemorate it is a waste of the city's and its citizens time and money. C'est la vie.

A grocery store. Oh well, so much for Bloomingdales.

Rather than an insulting plaque, it would be nice if the store used murals like Loblaws inside the store to recreate Roy Square, which it's pretty much sitting on top of.

I personally feel no loss with the removal of Roy Square from the city's fabric, and placing a plaque here to commemorate it is a waste of the city's and its citizens time and money.

There was that one good Indian restaurant there, but otherwise it was nothing special. A 40,000 sf supermarket is a more than adequate replacement.

File this under rumour, but a friend who is a pretty good source told me that Priestley won't remove the window at 719 Yonge due to a safety issue with all of the bird droppings. Until a company is contracted to chip away years of bird droppings and manually disassemble the window somehow, that section at 719 be delayed in coming down.

The Grocery store is either going in the basement or on the top floor of retail. Rents are far too expensive for your modest Canadian grocery store to operate with a Bloor Mink Mile address.

Do they still sell mink on Bloor West? And I swear it's not a mile long...maybe half a kilometre?

Maybe Wholefoods or some Caper's-style organic/gourmet grocery store? It is true Wholefoods wants out of their Hazelton Lanes location: 2012 would be about right.

Here's a puzzler: 1 Blo Est is marketing itself as highend condos, correct? Well in another thread on UT today, I read Edward Sonshine saying something to the effect "high end condos and food stores don't mix." Hmm....what kind of Moonshine is that Edward drinking?

Grocery stores and condos go hand and hand.

Ummm, to the person who said grocery stores can't operate here, what about the grocery store below the Manulife building?? I'd imagine if there was a grocery store at 1 Bloor it would likely also be a basement approach, leaving the "mink" stuff to the street level and upwards.

Here's a puzzler: 1 Blo Est is marketing itself as highend condos, correct? Well in another thread on UT today, I read Edward Sonshine saying something to the effect "high end condos and food stores don't mix." Hmm....what kind of Moonshine is that Edward drinking?

Ol' Eddy might be partly right, depends on the grocery store and type of building. Obviously a small, high-end building with a No-Frills on the main floor might not work. But I dont' see why a Dominion, Longos, Loblaws or Whole Foods wouldn't work on an above or below-floor of 1 Bloor E. And I agree, there's no way 40,000 sq ft of main floor space at that intersection would be for food retail, LOL!

In Chicago I noticed a few very good buildings over grocery stores. One new tower is above a Dominicks (50,000 square feet), and another new tower will have a Treasure Island grocery store (32,000 sq ft) on the main floor. Even if I were very wealthy, Living in a large exclusive tower with a convenient food store downstairs would be awesome.

A grocery store might not work so much at the new proposed 34 Hazelton, which will be a very expensive condominium building if it is ever approved. It's off topic, but I don't think I'm allowed to start new threads here cause I havent' posted enough (???) :) But having a Pusateri's or Fortnum & Mason on the ground floor of my building would be pretty swank ;)

File this under rumour, but a friend who is a pretty good source told me that Priestley won't remove the window at 719 Yonge due to a safety issue with all of the bird droppings. Until a company is contracted to chip away years of bird droppings and manually disassemble the window somehow, that section at 719 be delayed in coming down.

That's not implausible. The MSDS on bird droppings is thicker than the MSDS on asbestos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back