News   Sep 26, 2024
 368     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 925     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 613     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

... why are they raising the tracks by 5"?

Maybe they mean this portion for geometry/grading reasons?

1726705880871.png

Maybe they mean this portion for geometry/grading reasons?

I certainly haven't noticed anything non-standard about the height of the platform, so it seems unlikely they are reducing the platform height (by raising the rail). My theory would be, they intend to pour 5" of granular material (and maybe geotextile) to the east of the end of track before they lay the turnouts or the rail for the connecting track..... that bare ground doesn't look like it's ready for the ballast layer. I would speculate it's just a copy writer misunderstanding what they were told by the technical people.

- Paul

New tender up on MERX for Milton GO upgrades: PT-2024-RTCM-904: Milton GO Station Rehabilitation

The Work includes but is not limited to station building upgrades, platform rehabilitation including introducing precast curbs, tactile plates, a snow melt system and the replacement of two (2) platform shelter, site works including parking lot and bus loop rehabilitation as well as the replacement and introduction of four (4) new bus shelters.

For a second I thought it was Milton line upgrades, but then it clicked it was the Milton GO station, not the whole line. Sad lol

CN will be performing the work.

- Paul
What does CN stand to gain from working on passenger rail projects? Why would they dedicate their own time, man power to working on this project? Is MX paying them? Is this a gesture of good will? Asking out of curiosity.

What does CN stand to gain from working on passenger rail projects? Why would they dedicate their own time, man power to working on this project? Is MX paying them? Is this a gesture of good will? Asking out of curiosity.

LOL, absolutely 100% yes.

CN is not doing anything for 'free' for someone else.

This particular project has no real benefit to them, so this is entirely a paid gig.

That's exactly how it works. Metrolinx tells CN to do something, they come to an agreement, and then CN sends them the bill. The interesting question (if anything) is whether CN just charges them the flat cost of labour and resources (so 0 profit - covering the costs), or if there is some sort of upcharge, and if so how much?

That's exactly how it works. Metrolinx tells CN to do something, they come to an agreement, and then CN sends them the bill. The interesting question (if anything) is whether CN just charges them the flat cost of labour and resources (so 0 profit - covering the costs), or if there is some sort of upcharge, and if so how much?

While I can't speak to the specifics on this work...........I think its more than fair to say there's a mark-up, LOL

Last edited:

Back