News   Sep 13, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 2.4K     2 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 678     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Why don't these spineless pricks ever call these companies' bluffs? Go ahead, let them pull out. Lululemon is not delivering some highly technical stuff that no one else in the country is capable of making.
It's a simple calculation.

They pay X dollars in corporate taxes to Canada and B.C..
If those taxes lost are less than a subsidy required to let them stay then you pay the subsidy.

The problem is there's plenty of US State Governors happy to pay a larger subsidy to have the business move there which gives that State a future tax stream, even if it means they lose money in the short term.

Yeah, it's the proverbial race to the bottom, and yeah it's all connected to prices and inflation and taxes and it's complicated, but also yeah if you simply say "fuck you just move" then they will move because almost zero consumers really care about where shit comes form, and then Canada will reach the bottom first, and [whispering] Canada is kind of on that trajectory already.

Reference: the TV and movie industry

Last edited:
  • Severely limit international students to those studying for Masters or PhDs in the national interest.
Looks like the new restrictions are having their intended impact. But now the universities and colleges will need to make some tough decisions on programming and expenses.

Last edited:
Looks like the new restrictions are having their intended impact. But now the universities and colleges will need to make some tough decisions on programming and expenses.

Maybe they could thin down some of the stupid courses they offer.

Maybe they could thin down some of the stupid courses they offer.
They’re some merit to this, especially if we can redirect young people to apprentice programs for the trades, while ensuring more people leave high school ready to work. On the latter, for example my Dad graduated from high school in the UK in the 1960s knowing mental math and other skills to get a sales job in advertising and eventually owned his own ad company. Nowadays the firms won’t even look at applicants who do not have a degree, meaning you need to spend a ton just to have the ability to apply.

But we also need to recognize that higher education isn’t just about making the most worker drones, but also our deeper thinkers. One of my neighbours kids is taking a degree in philosophy. Is that any better than a degree in gender or equity studies? IDK, but philosophers throughout history have been important for civilization. Another neighbours kid just graduated in art history, often considered a bird course, and got a good job at an auction house.

Last edited:
Does anyone get the feeling that not even a leadership change will save the Liberals. I know we don't officially have term limits in Canada, but unofficially we do. If you look at history after
a government has been in power for 8-9 years, there has always been a change in government.

Does anyone get the feeling that not even a leadership change will save the Liberals. I know we don't officially have term limits in Canada, but unofficially we do. If you look at history after
a government has been in power for 8-9 years, there has always been a change in government.
It's rare for a leadership change to help a long in the tooth government cling to power. It's more about saving the furniture.

They’re some merit to this, especially if we can redirect young people to apprentice programs for the trades, while ensuring more people leave high school ready to work. On the latter, for example my Dad graduated from high school in the UK in the 1960s knowing mental math and other skills to get a sales job in advertising and eventually owned his own ad company. Nowadays the firms won’t even look at applicants who do not have a degree, meaning you need to spend a ton just to have the ability to apply.

But we also need to recognize that higher education isn’t just about making the most worker drones, but also our deeper thinkers. One of my neighbours kids is taking a degree in philosophy. Is that any better than a degree in gender or equity studies? IDK, but philosophers throughout history have been important for civilization. Another neighbours kid just graduated in art history, often considered a bird course, and got a good job at an auction house.
All good points. Our daughter is also one who got a career in a field related to her arts degree, but I don't know if the overall numbers are favourable.

It used to be the argument in support of general degrees was it showed potential employers that you possessed a foundation for skills such as research, though organization (writing papers, presenting arguments, etc.) and critical thinking. I'm not sure that's as true anymore.

All good points. Our daughter is also one who got a career in a field related to her arts degree, but I don't know if the overall numbers are favourable.

It used to be the argument in support of general degrees was it showed potential employers that you possessed a foundation for skills such as research, though organization (writing papers, presenting arguments, etc.) and critical thinking. I'm not sure that's as true anymore.

That's the general argument for having a Liberal Arts degree - and by and large. it is still the case (especially considering the ridiculous level of grade inflation at high schools). It's also a bit of a myth that it is "easy" - it isn't.

AoD

It's also a bit of a myth that it is "easy" - it isn't.
That was actually a bit of a falling out point with an in-law. We were sitting on the dock of my wife's family cottage and our daughter was mentioning the work she had coming up with multiple papers due, to which a sister-in-law commented "how hard can it be - it's a BA". We're pretty much alienated from much of her family for a number of reasons, but I don't think I've spoken to her since.

Justin Trudeau’s Party Has a Popularity Problem: Justin Trudeau​

A vote in Montreal is seen as a referendum on Canada’s prime minister, who has brushed aside calls to step down as party members fear a wipeout in the next general election.

"A mandatory 72-hour notice could come as soon as 12:01 a.m. ET on Sunday, and Air Canada says will it wind down its operations in anticipation of action."
So does Trudeau pull the trigger immediately, or does he do the same thing as the railways and let them go out for a day or two on hope they all come to their senses and make a deal on their own?

I am going to guess this one does find some last second deal, but if not he'll let them sit for 48 hours and then take whatever step needed to force a negotiated end.

Justin Trudeau’s Party Has a Popularity Problem: Justin Trudeau​

A vote in Montreal is seen as a referendum on Canada’s prime minister, who has brushed aside calls to step down as party members fear a wipeout in the next general election.
Everybody thought the Toronto by-election would be seen as referendum on his leadership but he has brushed it off.

His ego and hubris is telling him that he is the only one to save Canada, we just need to see the light. If they want him gone, the party needs a palace coup; he's not taking subtle hints.

So does Trudeau pull the trigger immediately, or does he do the same thing as the railways and let them go out for a day or two on hope they all come to their senses and make a deal on their own?

I am going to guess this one does find some last second deal, but if not he'll let them sit for 48 hours and then take whatever step needed to force a negotiated end.
Moot now. Air Canada reached a tentative deal.

Back