News   Aug 15, 2024
 393     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 374     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 395     3 

General railway discussions

I’m really curious what happened. Bridges usually don’t collapse, especially without carrying any loads…

From here:

This:

1723713837054.png

^^^^

Not a complete answer, but perhaps a clue........

Another pic:

1723714114251.png

Source: https://www.fox21online.com/content...29-3412409745726460-6104086313984956613-n.jpg

Pic courtesy Rainy Lake Property Owners Association

From here:

This:

View attachment 588424

^^^^

Another pic:

View attachment 588425

Source: https://www.fox21online.com/content...29-3412409745726460-6104086313984956613-n.jpg

There appears to be a camera on the pole to the right so hopefully they will have some images. Pure speculation but it appears to me that the counterweight support collapsed and when the bridge deck slammed down it bend its back.

The ties on the nearside look pretty random and not well ballasted.

I know it is better business to have the railways abandon underused subdivisions and not just keep them for a "what if" scenario, however when the "what if" happens an alternative route looks very business savy. Good luck to CN and the grain farmers.

From here:

This:

View attachment 588424

^^^^

Another pic:

View attachment 588425

I hope Transport Canada uses this as a way to update the maintenance standards of all rail lines.Imagine if that was when a train was crossing? Even though it likely would have been grain or other things like that, it still could have caused an environmental disaster.

I know it is better business to have the railways abandon underused subdivisions and not just keep them for a "what if" scenario, however when the "what if" happens an alternative route looks very business savy. Good luck to CN and the grain farmers.
The last decade has been showing the 2 main rail operators that an abandoned line might have been better to keep. The question is whether for these one off situations whether it would have actually been worth keeping. Only the bean counters really know.

I hope Transport Canada uses this as a way to update the maintenance standards of all rail lines.Imagine if that was when a train was crossing? Even though it likely would have been grain or other things like that, it still could have caused an environmental disaster.

There are a lot of yet-to-be-proven assumptions being made alleging that the bridge (and by extension, the whole line) was under-maintained. We should wait for the official report to see whether this was the case.

This was, however, a pretty old bridge. One obvious question would be, how many equally old railway bridges are there in the country and how similar would their risk of failure be. I would bet the investigators will consider that question.

The last decade has been showing the 2 main rail operators that an abandoned line might have been better to keep. The question is whether for these one off situations whether it would have actually been worth keeping. Only the bean counters really know.

How is this relevant here? There are in fact two rail lines between Winnipeg and Thunder Bay. Detours on CP are quite likely.

- Paul

There are a lot of yet-to-be-proven assumptions being made alleging that the bridge (and by extension, the whole line) was under-maintained. We should wait for the official report to see whether this was the case.

This was, however, a pretty old bridge. One obvious question would be, how many equally old railway bridges are there in the country and how similar would their risk of failure be. I would bet the investigators will consider that question.

Maintenance also includes inspections. Maybe this will have them change the frequency of those inspections.

How is this relevant here? There are in fact two rail lines between Winnipeg and Thunder Bay. Detours on CP are quite likely.

- Paul
When the FN blockades happened,and CN rerouted over the ONR into Northern Quebec, CP did not also do that. Hopefully CP will allow CN to detour, but that remains to be seen.

Back