News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 636     0 

LCBO / The Beer Store

Should the LCBO be deregulated?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As a lad in the 1970s and 80s I worked in supermarkets where we collected all the pop bottles for return. We should have kept that system.

I was just in the Vancouver area. The deposit system there can be done cashless. Just drop your bag of mixed recyclables off at a recycling depot. ( cans, bottles, plastic bottles, jugs, and even milk cartons) and they will sort it and add the money to your account.. It's all cashless. Last time i was at the beer store i got about 14 dollars back in mostly change! Since they were low on bills.

Last edited:
I was just in the Vancouver area. The deposit system there can be done cashless. Just drop your bag of mixed recyclables off at a recycling depot. ( cans, bottles, plastic bottles, jugs, and even milk cartons) and they will sort it and add the money to your account.. It's all cashless. Last time i was at the beer store i got about 14 dollars back in mostly change! Since they were low on bills.

That's cool. If the will was there and they could create some kind of automated kiosk there might be more uptake. The store would still have to empty/maintain it and store the product until they could be picked up.

The plan was always to open ordering for RTD's on thr 18, only difference being that they can sell before Aug 1. The sucess is going to depend on how fast the RTD's can go to a direct model unless they are already set up for it. The Union is shotting themself in the foot. The longer this goes on the easier it will be for Ford to expand even more.

The plan was always to open ordering for RTD's on thr 18, only difference being that they can sell before Aug 1. The sucess is going to depend on how fast the RTD's can go to a direct model unless they are already set up for it. The Union is shotting themself in the foot. The longer this goes on the easier it will be for Ford to expand even more.
This is a good opportunity for the LCBO to let convenience stores sell low-end stuff and improve their selection. I've seen a better choice of spirits and liqueurs in small-town SAQs than at the Manulife store. There are things I can get in Québec that are rarely available even for home delivery.

Has anyone ordered online from the LCBO during this strike? Is there a delivery fee? Who delivers the order and is a tip expected?

Another huge blow to the environment. Shame on Ford government !! I was in British Columbia recently, and asked at a deposit center where do all the plastic bottles go? They get sheared into pellets and sold to injection molding companies across Canada and re-used into other plastic products like car parts and other plastic products. They do not go to the landfill like other users here have stated.

Ontario has the worst recycling rates in Canada for cans, plastic bottles and cartons of non-alcoholic beverages, with billions of these containers going to landfills and incinerators annually.

Why the Ford government nixed deposit on soft drink cans, bottles​

Ontario bowed to pressure from big supermarket chains, says Environmental Defence​

Reactions: PL1
Has anyone ordered online from the LCBO during this strike? Is there a delivery fee? Who delivers the order and is a tip expected?
I received a package from them on Monday for an order placed Tuesday the prior week. They don't deliver on weekends.
Note there is little notice about what time of day they will arrive other than a vague "out for delivery" item in the tracking log that went in at 10:30 a.m.
The courier eventually arrived at 7:30 p.m..

Reactions: EBT
I received a package from them on Monday for an order placed Tuesday the prior week. They don't deliver on weekends.
Note there is little notice about what time of day they will arrive other than a vague "out for delivery" item in the tracking log that went in at 10:30 a.m.
The courier eventually arrived at 7:30 p.m..
My first order arrived within five days, and was just dropped off at the Manulife docks. I have another one pending for Campari (only 2 bottles available and I snatched one) and champagne for our wedding anniversary and my 60th birthday, but there are only a few days left. Maybe I should make Jell-O shots since I'm just a few years away from being toothless in long-term care.

Another huge blow to the environment. Shame on Ford government !! I was in British Columbia recently, and asked at a deposit center where do all the plastic bottles go? They get sheared into pellets and sold to injection molding companies across Canada and re-used into other plastic products like car parts and other plastic products. They do not go to the landfill like other users here have stated.

Ontario has the worst recycling rates in Canada for cans, plastic bottles and cartons of non-alcoholic beverages, with billions of these containers going to landfills and incinerators annually.

Why the Ford government nixed deposit on soft drink cans, bottles​

Ontario bowed to pressure from big supermarket chains, says Environmental Defence​

Some front-line employee shared their belief of what happened down the value chain so I must be wrong. And yet, a billion tons of plastic waste from US recycling ended up exported, much of it in SE Asia.

A lot of supposedly recycled plastic waste from Canada is exported as well, much of it will be burned or flushed down rivers into the ocean.

Don't blindly trust organizations that claim to be doing the right thing.

Last edited:

Back