731     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 890     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 627     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Same view 1980:

f1526_fl0059_it0058.jpg

I'm amazed that what is now the Hampton by Hilton at 300 Jarvis has been so badly treated and renovated (windows, lower level, stonework, etc.) given that it is subject to both heritage designation and a heritage easement agreement. Does no one pay attention at Heritage Preservations Services?

Formerly the Frontenac Arms Hotel:

1947:

frontenacarmshotel.jpg

urbantoronto-6643-21684.jpg

Today (pic by steveve):

IMG_2330.jpeg

Ok, here’s my question. On Glenview Ave on the north side between 164 and 182 (between Rosewell Ave and Avenue Road) was a huge mansion, with beautiful trees on a large lot. It did not match the neighborhood houses. The widow had a parrot that was put outside in the summers. This was the 1960’s and 1970’s for me.
When I went back around 2008, the mansion was gone! Replaced by three houses, which sort of blend in architecturally. At one point I thought this mansion was originally the only building of its time, with a driveway from Glengrove Avenue, before Glenview Ave existed.
Hi -
I hope someone interested in the history of the Glenview, Glengrove and Glencairn neighbourhood will see this message! I'm brand new to this forum and I couldn't figure out how to start a new thread, so I'm replying to an old message. I discovered a couple of photos posted here (I think by Mustapha) and now I can't find them -- one showed a troop of boy scouts or cubs on Yonge Street between Glenview and Chatsworth, the other showed a street (I think it was Glenview Ave. in the 1940s with reference "City of Toronto Archives Fonds 1231, Item 1816" (or it might be 1516 or 1616, I can't be sure of my own writing!)
Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Hi -
I hope someone interested in the history of the Glenview, Glengrove and Glencairn neighbourhood will see this message! I'm brand new to this forum and I couldn't figure out how to start a new thread, so I'm replying to an old message. I discovered a couple of photos posted here (I think by Mustapha) and now I can't find them -- one showed a troop of boy scouts or cubs on Yonge Street between Glenview and Chatsworth, the other showed a street (I think it was Glenview Ave. in the 1940s with reference "City of Toronto Archives Fonds 1231, Item 1816" (or it might be 1516 or 1616, I can't be sure of my own writing!)
Many thanks to anyone who can help.
New members cannot start threads, and it's not a good idea to create too many. I bet @Mustapha, our founding father!, responds but go to Toronto Archives and search for (only digitised) Glenview. Enjoy and welcome.

Back