Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I think painting metal (bridges, expressways etc) green was not always the standard and the City seems to now use black but I guess we will see. As far as I understand, the work on the concrete parts of the bridge etc (just about completed) was a City contract but the metal work & machinery will be PortsToronto.
The Bathurst bridge was painted black, but that was its original colour. Are there any examples where they changed it?

The Bathurst bridge was painted black, but that was its original colour. Are there any examples where they changed it?
The metal underside of Gardiner used to be green (in places) it is now brown & black. On the Bathurst Bridge, I am not sure it was always black, from the older pictures it may have been 'red ochre' - which was often used to protect exposed metal.

1707325189183.png

I see the salt mounds to the south of this bridge in a new way:as public art! I know that Mimmo Paladino does great things with what is called Land Art or large scale installations that are outside. He did a huge pile of salt with statues poking out of it in the central piazza in Naples and we could do the same thing here (and still store the salt to use in the winter.)

It could totally be turned into art.

DJI_20240128164100_0031_D.jpg

DJI_20240128163953_0026_D.jpg

The Lower Don Trail will be extended via the new LSBE bridge and the Don Roadway extension as part of the new cycling infrastructure in the Port Lands. I highlighted the path in pink on one of Waterfront Toronto's old handouts. There are two bike bridges, marked in orange. They will be built in part using reclaimed girders from the Marine Terminal 35 site.

The Don Roadway will have a bidirectional bike lane on the west side, as evidenced by the design of the intersection at Commissioners St. The path will branch off north of the bridge, so cyclists may choose to ride along the riverbank, underneath the bridge. The path continues through River Valley Park next to the Polson St extension, passing under the South Cherry Street bridge, and looping around to meet up with the existing bike path on Cherry St.

lower_don_portlands_extension.jpg.jpg

Waterfront Toronto graphic

20240207_153818-01.jpeg

Future southern terminus of the Don Roadway.

20240207_153858-01.jpeg

Bike crossing on Commissioners St at Don Roadway

20240207_153944-01.jpeg

Future bike trail, looking south from Commissioners St bridge

20240207_154119-01.jpeg

Future bike trail, looking north from Commissioners St bridge

From what I gather from the staff at the tower is that the next couple of months are going to be all about planting. Didn’t sound like any structures were going to be going up until the Spring.

Last edited:
Commissioners and Cherry are just covered in mud.

I get that it's winter and that it's still an active construction zone, but wouldn't hurt to run a street sweeper up and down the roads now and then.

It is just mud and dust everywhere. The newly opened section is just filthy.

Back