News   Apr 26, 2024
 437     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 350     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 548     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Eglinton will work, the glass is a lot more than 50% full.

Many tweaks could have been done to make it even better. Full grade separation between Laird and Sc Centre. A better balance between the west and east, both being elevated instead of the tunnel in the west and at-grade in the east. Better transit priority. Slightly different stop spacing and stop locations. Heck, the colour scheme could be more imaginative than grey + white.

But, it will go such a long way up from the mixed-traffic bus, that I don't see much reason for complains.

Eglinton will work, the glass is a lot more than 50% full.

Many tweaks could have been done to make it even better. Full grade separation between Laird and Sc Centre. A better balance between the west and east, both being elevated instead of the tunnel in the west and at-grade in the east. Better transit priority. Slightly different stop spacing and stop locations. Heck, the colour scheme could be more imaginative than grey + white.

But, it will go such a long way up from the mixed-traffic bus, that I don't see much reason for complains.
It's about learning for next time. Obviously the milk is spilt on this one.

The lack of bus service east of Science Centre makes sense to a degree though it is a bit of a bummer for people who live between the more spaced out stops like wynford and sloane, or sloane and O'Connor. I think a branch of the 34 or one of the eglinton east busses like the 116 or 86 that runs limited service between Science Centre and Kennedy could be really beneficial to people with physical disabilities or the elderly that live or work along the route.
Too bad TTC doesn't have all the money in the world to satisfy everyone. The Labovic-Hakimi stop is there so people can walk to/from the store closer instead of walking to Pharmacy or Warden. Fair amount of people uses those bus stops so the removal would make it a pain for the locals.

What if the crosstown was instead constructed on either the Lawrence or Wilson/York Mills/Ellesmere corridors? Would this benefit or make the whole thing worse compared to Eglinton?

What if the crosstown was instead constructed on either the Lawrence or Wilson/York Mills/Ellesmere corridors? Would this benefit or make the whole thing worse compared to Eglinton?
Eglinton is definitely the best corridor right now as its the densest and busiest though i see lots of potential in routes along wilson-ellesmere and Lawrence. Wilson/york mills/elesmere i feel is maybe missing some density and any special locations to attract people (like a mall or attraction) and lawrence has to find a way to bridge the gap by the bridle path but if they can connect Lawrence from morningside to yonge to weston or pearson i imagine itd be used greatly. Still... not as good as eglinton

Last edited:
Reactions: anb
There is a planned bus route for most of Eglinton for local service. Could have extended it to Kennedy and dropped a few stations to improve speed.

And that would have increased the operating costs for transit along the corridor.

Dan

I think the best idea to satisfy everyone, is to make all rapid transit lines have local bus compliments. I.E, Line 5 should've had minor surface section stops removed like Ferrand, Lebovic, and Leslie removed, but have them (and more like Thermos/Sinott, Credit Union) served by local buses which make all stops, which would be much less frequent. It provides the best to all riders.

Look at York Reigon, YRT still provides local service on VIVA routes.

The end of the eastbound platform at hakimi lebovic is 100m west of the end of the westbound platform at golden mile, making the stops technically 100m apart though 330m is a better measurement as the centre of the stops are 330m apart
No, that doesn't make the stops 100 metres apart! You can't measure from the stop in one direction, to the stop in the other direction! And if you did (and there's no reason to), it doesn't effect the places where vehicles can cross the tracks), then 330-90-90 = 150 not 100!

Superelvation talked of stations (not stops) being 100 metres apart, with vehicles crossing. This just doesn't happen.

No, that doesn't make the stops 100 metres apart! You can't measure from the stop in one direction, to the stop in the other direction! And if you did (and there's no reason to), it doesn't effect the places where vehicles can cross the tracks), then 330-90-90 = 150 not 100!

Superelvation talked of stations (not stops) being 100 metres apart, with vehicles crossing. This just doesn't happen.
That's why I said 330m is a far more accurate measurement. The ends of the platforms of two stops technically being 100m apart is just a fun little fact to exaggerate how close the stops are too each other😐 It wasn't meant as a serious measurement.

I think the best idea to satisfy everyone, is to make all rapid transit lines have local bus compliments. I.E, Line 5 should've had minor surface section stops removed like Ferrand, Lebovic, and Leslie removed, but have them (and more like Thermos/Sinott, Credit Union) served by local buses which make all stops, which would be much less frequent. It provides the best to all riders.

Look at York Reigon, YRT still provides local service on VIVA routes.
Leslie is fine in terms of location. Its almost 1km away from Science Center, and 1.25km away from Laird. Without Leslie, the stretch would become the 2nd longest stretch between two stations in the system clocking at 2.22km (right behind the stretch between St. Clair West and Eglinton West). What really needed to happen was shift the tracks from the median to the south side of Eglinton so that the entire line could run grade separated from Mt. Dennis (+ Eglinton West LRT in the future) to Science Center.

Back