Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Wednesday Morning
785CFEB1-1DC1-4152-93C2-37498355F64B.jpeg

NO still another several months. Just kidding they look very close though. I doubt this will even be five floors above by this time next year at this rate though

Ok exaggeration perhaps

That sounds like a great contest: How many stories will be "completed" (not counting the current one at the time) by this day one year from now. Admins?

This is very interesting.

It is very important to note that UT is a Canadian website centred on a specific Canadian city, Toronto in this case.

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storey

In Canadian English, "storey" refers to the number of floors a building has. This is unlike the rest of the Commonwealth, where "storey" refers to the number of floors including the ground floor (the first floor of a building on level ground in the rest of the Commonwealth is the second floor of a building on level ground in North America) but excluding floors below the ground floor. "Story" is the American spelling when referring to both tales and number of floors.

Last edited:
This is very interesting.

It is very important to note that UT is a Canadian website centred on a specific Canadian city, Toronto in this case.

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storey

In Canadian English, "storey" refers to the number of floors a building has. This is unlike the rest of the Commonwealth, where "storey" refers to the number of floors including the ground floor (the first floor of a building on level ground in the rest of the Commonwealth is the second floor of a building on level ground in North America) but excluding floors below the ground floor. "Story" is the American spelling when referring to both tales and number of floors.
I’ve always preferred the European floor numbering system of ground floor being Zero and everything else being a positive or negative number.

Albeit I live in an older building, but it doesn’t have a 13th floor, but has a “Mezzanine” between the first and second floors. Except it’s not really a mezzanine in any sense of the word, it’s a full height storey all to itself. So technically, the building could add a 13th floor by just starting the numbering with the mezzanine Instead. And only half the building’s floor numbers would change!

I’ve always preferred the European floor numbering system of ground floor being Zero and everything else being a positive or negative number.

Albeit I live in an older building, but it doesn’t have a 13th floor, but has a “Mezzanine” between the first and second floors. Except it’s not really a mezzanine in any sense of the word, it’s a full height storey all to itself. So technically, the building could add a 13th floor by just starting the numbering with the mezzanine Instead. And only half the building’s floor numbers would change!

There's a certain sense to that...............its very integer'ish.

[/URL]

Maybe I'm biased because I grew up in Hong Kong (commonwealth) but it's always made more sense to me that "ground" is 1st floor, and then the floor above that is the 2nd floor and so on. It's noticeable in short buildings particularly, where say there's ground + 2 more floors. If you're at the top and say your one the 2nd floor that just seems weird to me because clearly it's the 3rd floor 😂

I never liked the European practice of numbering the ground floor as "0". When you count how many floors the building has from the outside, you would say, for example, 10. But the top floor would be the "9th" floor. It doesn't make sense to me. I do like how europeans label parking levels as -1, -2, etc. though. Instead of the American practice of P1, P2, or B1, B2, etc.

I also don't like the idea of skipping floors like the 13th floor which we all know is very common in Toronto.

I also don't like the idea of skipping floors like the 13th floor which we all know is very common in Toronto.
At least here's not Shanghai:

ShanghaiMissingFloors.jpg

Floors 0 (it uses Chinese reckoning for floor numbering, which is very similar to North American reckoning for floor numbering), 4, 13, and 14 are omitted (4 is a very inauspicious number in East Asian cultures due to the number 4 being homophonic to the word for "death" in various East Asian languages). Otherwise, you would like the Chinese reckoning for floor numbering (if inauspicious floor numbers weren't omitted).

Don't forget that Toronto has many Chinese investors who find the number 4 inauspicious.

Back