News   Apr 26, 2024
 217     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 409     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 545     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Rocco Galati who some of you may know as a Constitutional Lawyer and one who frequently likes to challenge mainstream or status quo assumptions............is at it again.

(he is best known for having overturned a Harper appointment to the Supreme Court, a first in this country)

He's suing the governments of Ontario and Canada and, interestingly, CBC, asking for injunctive relief from many of the current anti-Covid measures.

(the CBC argument is based on a being a public broadcaster and having a 'duty of care' to investigate claims/government etc.)

While my instinct is certainly not to support his stated goals overall..............(I support prudent public health measures).

The suit itself is interesting. He can be a bit of wing-nut, but he's a well informed wing-nut that demands others do their homework, and justify their choices. Something I can appreciate.

In particular, he's got 2 points that interest me. One is on a recent provincial bill, 195 which allows government to extend emergency measures by executive fiat, without legislative approval, for years to come.

He's not wrong to call that unprecedented, and in general, over-reach. I support the prudent measures, but agree that the bill goes too far in extending executive authority of an extreme type, indefinitely into the future.

He also raises the issue of the government declining to show what its scientific evidence is for certain choices. He specifically mentions masks, for which, I must say, I think there is good evidence.

But I agree the government itself has not presented conclusive studies on which it has drawn for its choices. Surely if the evidence is at it seems to be, there is no harm in releasing the same for public review; and not doing so can foster paranoia and backlash.

What's below shows a very conspiratorial worldview, to which I am loathe to give credence. However, if it demands government do a better job of justifying its actions, I can't be in complete opposition either.

1596724054734.png

1596724069831.png

Ok, so, bit more info on the above.

Galati's clients include a 'Vaccine Choice' group, which I take to mean anti-vaxxers for whom I have no time.

That, said, I found the Statement of Claim (some personal info redacted).

Its a curious read.

I don't see anything in it that's wrong per se; its the way in which the information is presented, in furtherance of a rather large conspiracy claim.

At first blush, the evidence falls well short of that; but as much as I loathe giving time to specious arguments, there are interesting facts in there worthy of further investigation, independent of any overblown conspiracy or anti-vaxxer nonsense.

Its a lengthy read, of a legal document, but for those w/too much spare time.........enjoy your 191 page read!

COVID-19 denialists and anti-vaxxers prove to be the Republicans' fifth column.

Even the alt-right (and allies) or Antifa (and allies) aren't as much as a threat to American stability as COVID-19 denialists or anti-vaxxers. After all, COVID-19 itself doesn't discriminate by political affiliation, though those who distrust government intervention are more likely to catch COVID-19.

"By the end of its final flare-up, Spanish influenza killed more people in Nova Scotia than the 1917 Halifax Explosion, but the impact on the province of the most deadly pandemic in world history has been relatively unexplored.

New research suggests about 2,200 people died (from the Spanish flu) in the province, about 200 more than the death toll from the Halifax Explosion." From link.

"Videos and images of the blast in Beirut on Tuesday, which killed at least 135 people and left 5,000 wounded, have been widely circulated throughout international media and social media.

For James Boxall, who teaches geography at Dalhousie University in Halifax, the imagery of the heavy cloud of thick, grey smoke brought to mind another terrible explosion.

"Looking at it, I thought, 'This is exactly what citizens of Halifax must have seen,'" said Boxall, referring to the Halifax Explosion, which killed nearly 2,000 people and injured 9,000 more." From link.

This piece, in the L.A. Times is by an American, married to a dual U.S/Canadian Citizen.

Its not inaccurate............but it certainly has a narrative.............the U.S. loves its Canada is more law-abiding than us stories.

Last edited:
This piece, in the L.A. Times is buy an American, married to a dual U.S/Canadian Citizen.

Its not inaccurate............but it certainly has a narrative.............the U.S. loves its Canada is more law-abiding than us stories.

I bet that many American baseball fans are saying that it is for the best the Blue Jays play home games in Buffalo and the Canadian government made the right decision to bar the Blue Jays from playing in Toronto.

Dude! Perth is so lame that even the plague doesn't want to go there!

I don't know why my friend moved there...and she expects me to visit. Like, maybe if she lived in Fremantle....which she doesn't.

you got a double LOL from me on this post.

:)

Western Australia is our Alberta. They've shut their internal borders and have been steadfast in not opening it all. All of them, sitting pretty over there, smug bastards

It's rather intriguing that the outbreak is localized to Melbourne, while other regions like Perth have hardly any cases.

More importantly: it's rife throughout all the insecure worker sectors of the economy.

Aged-care: notoriously underpaid.
Meatworks/Abbatoirs
Distribution Centres

high rates of short-term visa holders filling roles for a pittance.

The best (!) thing about this pandemic is that it has fully exposed the dark side of our economies and 30+ years of neo-liberalism: cutting taxes, broad deregulation agendas, far more private sector involvement.

On aged care there are state-level run facilities (which are about 10% of the total in Victoria) and private facilities which are regulated by the federal government. I haven't seen updated stats but last week it was like 5-6 cases in the state-run facilities (Victorian Gov) which have mandatory nurse-patient ratios among other things and hundreds of cases in the federally regulated privated aged car homes.

Thatcherism/Reganism and all associated economic and political philosophies that have been running for the past three decades: meeting their violent end, before our very eyes every day.

More importantly: it's rife throughout all the insecure worker sectors of the economy.

Aged-care: notoriously underpaid.
Meatworks/Abbatoirs
Distribution Centres

high rates of short-term visa holders filling roles for a pittance.

The best (!) thing about this pandemic is that it has fully exposed the dark side of our economies and 30+ years of neo-liberalism: cutting taxes, broad deregulation agendas, far more private sector involvement.

On aged care there are state-level run facilities (which are about 10% of the total in Victoria) and private facilities which are regulated by the federal government. I haven't seen updated stats but last week it was like 5-6 cases in the state-run facilities (Victorian Gov) which have mandatory nurse-patient ratios among other things and hundreds of cases in the federally regulated privated aged car homes.

Thatcherism/Reganism and all associated economic and political philosophies that have been running for the past three decades: meeting their violent end, before our very eyes every day.

The exposure is great, IF, it leads to change.

I'm not placing any bets there yet.

In Toronto we have a Food Processing factory (mostly commercial bakery) that has had not 1, not 2, but 5 employee deaths since 1999 (workplace accidents).

An extensive expose ran about the company, its murky pay practices and the vulnerable people they employ.

They're still operating, and I'm unaware of any material improvements in their practices.

Sadly, many businesses can and will just wait out the firestorm of bad publicity; and/or sell the business to another company they own..........

Change the name on the building..........and go about their misbegotten ways.

A lot of which are legal; and those that aren't are rarely prosecuted.

If the pandemic causes us to raise employment standards, and enforce same; and better protect casual and migrant labour, awesome!

I just wouldn't take that for granted.

The exposure is great, IF, it leads to change.

I'm not placing any bets there yet.

In Toronto we have a Food Processing factory (mostly commercial bakery) that has had not 1, not 2, but 5 employee deaths since 1999 (workplace accidents).

An extensive expose ran about the company, its murky pay practices and the vulnerable people they employ.

They're still operating, and I'm unaware of any material improvements in their practices.

Sadly, many businesses can and will just wait out the firestorm of bad publicity; and/or sell the business to another company they own..........

Change the name on the building..........and go about their misbegotten ways.

A lot of which are legal; and those that aren't are rarely prosecuted.

If the pandemic causes us to raise employment standards, and enforce same; and better protect casual and migrant labour, awesome!

I just wouldn't take that for granted.

Humanity's greed will ensure that it doesn't.

Back