News   Apr 26, 2024
 79     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 405     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Not just rare but non-existent as T1s have never been able to go north of Sheppard West. The TYSSE has never operated with conventional signals as it opened with ATC.
I know it hasn't happened yet. Once T1 trains head north of Sheppard West sometime in the future due to an emergency, it would be an interesting sight to see.

I know it hasn't happened yet. Once T1 trains head north of Sheppard West sometime in the future due to an emergency, it would be an interesting sight to see.

They can't ever. Full stop. Moot point.

The T1s cannot operate under ATC and the extension isn't compatible with non-atc revenue trains.

There are no physical signals on the extension making concentional operation a problem. They would need to run them through ATC sections via radio. Good luck.

The T1s cannot operate under ATC and the extension isn't compatible with non-atc revenue trains.

There are no physical signals on the extension making concentional operation a problem. They would need to run them through ATC sections via radio. Good luck.
How unfortunate.

This is incorrect.

The new signal system is perfectly capable of seeing and handling non-ATO-equipped trains - this is how the T1s arrived onto the Yonge Line during the derailment clearing process. But doing so forces the operation of a degraded operational mode whereby only one train is allowed into each block.

And yes, there are wayside signals on the new system, and yes they are also used for exactly the same reasons as the old wayside signals. There are just fewer of them, and so the blocks are also bigger.

Because of the size of the blocks, it is no longer a realistic possibility to operate the T1s in revenue service on the sections of the line where the new signal system is operational. But that doesn't mean that they can't operate up there at all.

Dan

TTC Agenda for Feb 25th, 2020 is up:

Of note:

Proposal to have developer of Scrivener Square (grass plot across from Summerhill LCBO) build the new Summerhill Station second exit.

Very odd layout.

1582150985055.png

Also, a report to approve advancing the design of Bloor-Yonge Capacity Expansion from 10% to 30%.

Of note here is the timeline info in the report.

Major construction contract to be awarded in 2024; completion in 2029

There's a motion from Councillor Carroll concerning the need for transportation improvements to serve Don Valley North/Consumers Business Park.

In the summary/background, this text caught my eye.............

In the Ontario Line Initial Business Case, which was unveiled to the public by Metrolinx in July 2019, it became apparent that the originally-planned Sheppard East LRT has now become a six-stop subway extension of Line 4 Sheppard,

Finally, there's a motion from Councillor Bradford concerning the Fare Evasion Strategy

Of note:

Request that the TTC Chief People Officer and Deputy Chief Executive Officer –Operations report back to the TTC Board through the TTC Fare Strategy in Q42020, on an approach to fare evasion that balances transit equity with approaches to addressing lost revenue, considering approaches such as:
a) a warning-based system;
b.) practices and policies allowing for greater discretion to address the diversity and inclusion implications of fare enforcement;
c.) a sliding scale of fines with increasing penalties for offences over time;
d ) a sliding scale of fines based on different types of offences such as elevated fines for customers in fraudulent use of Child Fare PRESTOpasses; and,
e.) increased enforcement visibility as a strategy to incentivize fare compliance

Of note:

Proposal to have developer of Scrivener Square (grass plot across from Summerhill LCBO) build the new Summerhill Station second exit.

Very odd layout.

View attachment 231872

Also, a report to approve advancing the design of Bloor-Yonge Capacity Expansion from 10% to 30%.

There's a motion from Councillor Carroll concerning the need for transportation improvements to serve Don Valley North/Consumers Business Park.

In the Ontario Line Initial Business Case, which was unveiled to the public by Metrolinx in July 2019, it became apparent that the originally-planned Sheppard East LRT has now become a six-stop subway extension of Line 4 Sheppard,

Finally, there's a motion from Councillor Bradford concerning the Fare Evasion Strategy

Of note:

Request that the TTC Chief People Officer and Deputy Chief Executive Officer –Operations report back to the TTC Board through the TTC Fare Strategy in Q42020, on an approach to fare evasion that balances transit equity with approaches to addressing lost revenue, considering approaches such as:
b.) practices and policies allowing for greater discretion to address the diversity and inclusion implications of fare enforcement;
d ) a sliding scale of fines based on different types of offences such as elevated fines for customers in fraudulent use of Child Fare PRESTOpasses; and,
e.) increased enforcement visibility as a strategy to incentivize fare compliance

@smallspy

Correct me if I am wrong but is there not a knockout wall between the LCBO and the Subway?

I've heard rumors of such, but I've never seen evidence in the structure nor any of the blueprints that I've come across.

Dan

As always Dan your breadth of knowledge is greatly appreciated. You have a spotless mind when it comes to transit and it is very helpful. Thank you.

Of note:

Very odd layout.

View attachment 231872

Of note:

Lordy, that was written by a politician. To me, transit equity means there is a fare to be paid - you pay the fare you get to use it. Things like reduced fare for youth, poverty, etc. are policy issues, not enforcement/compliance.
If they want a sliding scale of fines based on past history, they will have to maintain a database of personal information. Some will not be pleased.

Lordy, that was written by a politician. To me, transit equity means there is a fare to be paid - you pay the fare you get to use it. Things like reduced fare for youth, poverty, etc. are policy issues, not enforcement/compliance.
If they want a sliding scale of fines based on past history, they will have to maintain a database of personal information. Some will not be pleased.

It was indeed written by a politician, LOL.

But I think there are some valid ideas here, and some others that could be explored.

1) I've had the experience on one occasion of getting a 'caution' for a traffic offense.

It was a rolling stop.

It was in my area, I did know there was a stop sign, I honestly think I stopped long enough, but the officer in the cruiser that pulled up behind me disagreed.

I spoke nicely to the officer, as I know they have some discretion, he checked by driving record which was clean; and came back with a formal caution.

I thought that was nice of him; and entirely reasonable.

The caution, just like any fined-ticket is recorded and in the system.

If I were pulled over again for a similar offense within a short-period, I'm sure I would have had to deal with a fine.

As it should be.

In the case of transit fines, they are already recorded. They have to be.

The proposal here allows for a written caution or warning that would stay in the 'system', as opposed to a fine, allowing for discretion if there's no track record of a problem.

ie. you get the benefit of the doubt the first time.

I think that's one way of diffusing some of the tension about what really is an obscenely high fine for an average person.

Let's be clear, a fair comparison for fare evasion is not paying the meter/pay and display for on-street parking.

The fine for that is $30.

So the fine for transit is up 14x larger than the comparable violation for a driver.

A parking ticket also comes with legal challenges you can use, including the meter/machine was broken; or there was no sign etc. etc.

A fare-evasion ticket should legitimately allow comparable defense. If the presto scanner at the door you enter by isn't working, and the vehicle is crush-loaded......

My final thought on this is that income-contingent fines make sense; I've long advocated for them for speeding/stunt driving etc.

A fine, should be a deterrent. $50 is a lot of your on social assistance or a modest pension; but its nothing if you earn six or seven figures.

Making fines a % of annual income makes all the sense in the world to me, so they hurt proportionately the same and have the same deterrent value, no matter your income.

That said, the countries that have done this have tied police computers directly to the taxation database. This country has not done that, and it likely isn't even legal currently.

So that idea must wait.

In the meantime giving officers discretion to deal both with honest mistakes and with those who truly can't pay saves the system more than it costs it.

Y+B Capacity Improvement project will be the mother of all station rebuilds. One can only cry at the missed opportunity back in the early 90s.

AoD

Back