News   May 03, 2024
 892     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 553     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 268     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I want Kitchener Line weekend service but we know that ain't happening until after the 401 tunnel is done.

I agree with your assessment, but I wonder, are there any real infrastructure/logistics reasons for this? Weekend service obviously would be much lower than weekday service -- so would this be because of higher freight traffic on weekends or them taking advantage of downtime to move ahead faster on construction?

In the case of these GO lines where there are 6 and 10 trains per direction in a day, so like a dozen to 20 trains - how many months might that take? It's a bazillion tonnes for sure.

CN's requirements are something like 250,000 tonnes of traffic - which ends up being as few as 12 trains in some cases. And in the past, they've even just run loaded ballast hoppers back and forth over the completed track to try and get to the rated tonnage faster.

Understanble, but still a bad idea. The schedule would help agencies like DRT and Oakville plan local service better, reducing the need for driving to the station.

I know, and I agree with you. But I'm just passing along the info I have.

I agree with your assessment, but I wonder, are there any real infrastructure/logistics reasons for this? Weekend service obviously would be much lower than weekday service -- so would this be because of higher freight traffic on weekends or them taking advantage of downtime to move ahead faster on construction?

I think that's just his personal assessment, and not necessarily representative of what will happen.

There is no additional benefit to the construction project by not having the trains run on weekends. The tracks are already in use for UPX and VIA services. That they haven't started weekday service on the line likely has more to do with issues at CN's end, or not enough crews to operate the trains.

Dan

Guess the TT (or police if on-scene) forgot to call RTC.

Which I find a little strange because the emergency number is on the crossing control box. Maybe the operator didn't realize that? They could have called first before hooking the car up. Life lesson?

Which I find a little strange because the emergency number is on the crossing control box. Maybe the operator didn't realize that? They could have called first before hooking the car up. Life lesson?

I'm willing to bet the operator, like most motorists, doesn't know about the location of those numbers. I guess he figured he do a quick underlift, clear the crossing and make a buck. Oops. Their yard backs on the ROW - you think they'd have a good handle on its traffic.

Metrolinx is cancelling the $1.50 GO/TTC fare discount effective March.

Metrolinx is cancelling the $1.50 GO/TTC fare discount effective March.

This is only going to hurt Metrolinx. People that would usually take the TTC will still take the TTC over GO now. The UPX will probably lose 3000 daily users, the lakeshore West line will probably lose 5000, the Kitchener line might lose up to 1000, Stouffville could lose 200-500, and Lakeshore East could lose 1-2K users per day. Up to 10,000 fewer passengers using GO, that's a huge loss, even if the people using GO are only technically paying 1-2 dollars to ride.

For the People!

+1 For the people.

Folks we are making life more affordable for you by making you pay more for your daily commute. Don't you see this? Hey look a subway for etobicoke!

**Edit**
This is only going to hurt Metrolinx. People that would usually take the TTC will still take the TTC over GO now. The UPX will probably lose 3000 daily users, the lakeshore West line will probably lose 5000, the Kitchener line might lose up to 1000, Stouffville could lose 200-500, and Lakeshore East could lose 1-2K users per day. Up to 10,000 fewer passengers using GO, that's a huge loss, even if the people using GO are only technically paying 1-2 dollars to ride.

They are not paying $1 to 2 to ride the GO they are getting a $1.50 discount on the fare for the connecting transit. The cheapest fare on GO is about $3.70, factor in the discount and it becomes $2.20, however for the majority of commuters the fare is much higher than that.

Back