Toronto Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Silva cells are being installed.

BC54DB31-1760-4669-A1F5-FFE064679C87.jpeg

This won’t have any trouble being completed on time for the Spring.

However, I was looking at the diagram on the fence and it appears to have been reduced in scope. The large periscope is missing from that drawing. Its base also doesn’t seem to have been built for it in the location where it was supposed to go. Hopefully it’s still in. I love how it drew passers by to look at the island from Queens Quay, a fun little way to invite people to take the ferry over there.

CONSTRUCTION NOTICE #8: Phase 1A Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park

Construction on Phase 1A of the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park project is scheduled for completion in early April 2019.

Installation and electrification of 11 new light fixtures throughout the park were completed in December 2018. Soil cells that support and protect the successful root growth of future tree plantings along the promenade were also completed January 2019. Grading of the site is now being finalized in preparation for laying the signature granite mosaic path.  

What to Expect During the Final Phase of Construction

Construction staging around three zones within the site have been present since early October 2018 and will remain throughout the final leg of construction.

Ferry Terminal & Park Access

During construction, visitors are asked to access the ferry terminal from Bay Street and Queens Quay using the western walkway. Signs have been placed on site to help visitors navigate their way to and from the ferry terminal and park.

Periodically, trucks will need to access the site by crossing the Queens Quay pedestrian promenade and Martin Goodman Trail at Bay Street. During these times, flagmen will be on site to safely direct pedestrians and cyclists.

Please refer to map below for full site access map.

Completion

Upon completion, the public realm outside Jack Layton Ferry Terminal will feature a 106 linear metre promenade leading visitors south from Bay Street to the ferry terminal. This promenade features our signature two-tone granite maple leaf mosaic that will unify the entire water’s edge of the waterfront. The area will see improved views of the water’s edge from Bay Street and illumination for evening users with the installation of light fixtures throughout the park pathways. The newly installed double row of trees along the promenade will also form a natural canopy archway that will enclose the entrance and park paths once trees reach maturity.

Construction of Phase 1A of this project is scheduled to be complete in early April 2019.

Map: Access to Ferry Terminal & Park During Construction

1549462616182.png
Please note that area boundaries are approximate.

Questions:

We appreciate your patience as we continue to make improvements to this important city destination. For more information about the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park Project and Phase 1A, visit our website: www.waterfrontoronto.ca.

Send your questions to info@waterfrontoronto.ca.

We appreciate and thank you for your patience as we build a waterfront for everyone.

I was looking at the diagram on the fence and it appears to have been reduced in scope. The large periscope is missing from that drawing. Its base also doesn’t seem to have been built for it in the location where it was supposed to go. Hopefully it’s still in. I love how it drew passers by to look at the island from Queens Quay, a fun little way to invite people to take the ferry over there.

I have confirmation from a friend at WT that the periscope features have been value engineered out of the design. Typical.

fullsizerender-7-jpg.112855

Agreed.
Not sure how much use they actually have for this area, unless you are interested in trying to contract pink eye :)

Still does nothing to help indicate that this is the ferry terminal. In fact, just this last weekend, I noticed a visibly confused family walking right by this new walkway. I knew what they were looking for right away and said: the ferries are that way.

It’s missing the totem pole that, with its nautical theme, and big letters intuitively made it clear that this was the way to the ferry terminal. Toronto can get so close to getting things right but so frequently trips on its own feet right at the finish line.

Back