News   Apr 25, 2024
 370     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think there is also an argument to be made that this legislation unfairly targets Toronto. If Toronto citizens are over represented, I am quite sure that other jurisdictions are too. Perhaps legislation would be more fair that outlines a process for determining effective representation across the province, rather than focussing just on Toronto,

I think there is also an argument to be made that this legislation unfairly targets Toronto. If Toronto citizens are over represented, I am quite sure that other jurisdictions are too. Perhaps legislation would be more fair that outlines a process for determining effective representation across the province, rather than focussing just on Toronto,

But that has always been true - the level of population per councillor varies widely across municipalities across Ontario - with generally much higher relative levels of representation in smaller municipalities.

AoD

Last edited:
Don't count on the 905 to save the seats either way. And frankly as someone suggested - the province can defend the goal of cutting council in half; they can't defend the process of getting there as presented right now.

True.
In Ampachong's motion to have the election declared illegitimate, that would obviously require a new election with the full allotted 3 month time (let's say, starting Sept 1st). Would that then set future elections back so that council campaigns would theoretically no longer overlap a provincial election (provided emergency/early elections are not called)? In other words, if the people of Ontario were to turf Doug four years from now after getting his way to shrinking council for the 2022 election, would there still be time for an incoming government to stay the execution before campaigning has started and keep the status quo?

True.
In Ampachong's motion to have the election declared illegitimate, that would obviously require a new election with the full allotted 3 month time (let's say, starting Sept 1st). Would that then set future elections back so that council campaigns would theoretically no longer overlap a provincial election (provided emergency/early elections are not called)? In other words, if the people of Ontario were to turf Doug four years from now after getting his way to shrinking council for the 2022 election, would there still be time for an incoming government to stay the execution before campaigning has started and keep the status quo?

That's one thing - the moral authority of a government that didn't think, barged ahead and getting slapped by the court on a file as basic as democratic rights will be seriously diminished going forward is a far more fundamental matter. Not that I am counting on that to be a serious restraint to this government, of course.

AoD

But that has always been true - the level of population per councillor varies widely across municipalities across Ontario - with generally much higher relative levels of representation in smaller municipalities.

AoD
Even the provincial seats are distributed so that the less sparse areas have more representation per person. So having Toronto Councillors responsible for more people is in keeping with the provincial system as well.
Is there not already a Toronto Act. The precedent is there that Toronto is a unique animal.

AoD
Agreed. It was more of a devil’s advocate post related to Doug’s obvious vindictive war against Toronto.

Even the provincial seats are distributed so that the less sparse areas have more representation per person. So having Toronto Councillors responsible for more people is in keeping with the provincial system as well.

It is, doesn't mean it should be - plus the constitution and the associated provincial division of power dates back from a predominantly rural Canada - and that Canada isn't the reality anymore.

AoD

I'm surprised we haven't heard more on which incumbents could be running against each other. I guess many are waiting for the court hearing on August 31st?

A lot of residents in Wards 5,6 are emailing Peter Milczyn's personal address to try and convince him to run in the amalgamated ward. He has a very, very strong chance in slaying Grimes on the spot.

He is generally well liked and respected - his loss as MPP was more due to the Liberals being a toxic brand than a reflection of his work. He'd have my vote.

Amber Morley is a girl I went to middle school with and I'd love to vote for her because I see the passion in her platform, but my number 1 priority is to remove Grimes.

Re: Peter Milczyn - 'centrist' types typically have an inclination to become mayor's pets (Ana Bailao, Mary-Margaret McMahon...), usually in exchange of a spot on a committee. So I wouldn't be shocked if Milczyn ends up being just as useless as Grimes.

Re: Peter Milczyn - 'centrist' types typically have an inclination to become mayor's pets (Ana Bailao, Mary-Margaret McMahon...), usually in exchange of a spot on a committee. So I wouldn't be shocked if Milczyn ends up being just as useless as Grimes.

If Toronto goes with 25 wards/councillors, it will mean each and every councillor will be on a committee or board. Expect absences from said committee or board by the councillors, unless they can spread out the schedules.

If Council shrinks to 25, poor Neethan Shan! The guy finally gets a political job in 2017 after running in so many federal, provincial and municipal elections and now he could lose one year later.

If Toronto goes with 25 wards/councillors, it will mean each and every councillor will be on a committee or board. Expect absences from said committee or board by the councillors, unless they can spread out the schedules.
Clearly 25 cannot serve on as many committes as 43. City government is more than Council meetings which is why its so wrong to change only one thing ( number of councillors) and give no thought to consequences for City.

If Council shrinks to 25, poor Neethan Shan! The guy finally gets a political job in 2017 after running in so many federal, provincial and municipal elections and now he could lose one year later.
He actually has one of the safer riding to run in if he runs in the Rouge River riding. He won't face off against any incumbent councilor. Which is unfortunate because I really don't like him at all.

Amber Morley is a girl I went to middle school with and I'd love to vote for her because I see the passion in her platform, but my number 1 priority is to remove Grimes.

I was going to vote for her. Alas, I'll now be in Parkdale. No, I'm not voting for Perks...obviously.

Back