News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 274     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 807     0 

Orangeville-Brampton Railway (OBRY)

There's a map on a go transit page showing future possible stations, one being "Mayfield West". I wonder how this would play into this rail line?
5585200f-1fdb-48e2-99b9-8f1d02c0f7ee.png

goingstrong.gotransit.com

Attachments

• 5585200f-1fdb-48e2-99b9-8f1d02c0f7ee.png
    5585200f-1fdb-48e2-99b9-8f1d02c0f7ee.png
    276.8 KB · Views: 2,328
That's more seen to be part as a Hurontario LRT/BRT extension north.
Ah, I see now that makes sense. The rail line does sort of roughly follow the track as shown but the lrt/brt option is more logical, Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Editorial from the local paper:

Commentary
Metrolinx should get involved

February 27, 2018 · 0 Comments

EDITORIAL

THE PENDING LOSS of Cando Rail Services Ltd. as operator of the Orangeville-Brampton Railway and its popular Credit Valley Explorer tour train must not mean the end of local rail service.

Although Cando has served notice that it plans to stop providing freight service as of June 30 and apparently has no plan to continue running the Explorer, it is apparently trying to assist Orangeville in searching for another short-line operator and a spokesperson says that if that fails, “we’re willing to stay on if we have to.”

It strikes us that there are several options that should be available. One would be for the Town to become the owner-operator, but that would require the purchase of a locomotive as well as the hiring of some staff.

Far preferable would be an agreement with Metrolinx that would see the line sold to GO Transit and the long-awaited restoration of some limited passenger service that would givearea commuters a means of avoiding GTA gridlocks.

Although there’s obviously not a need for GO Transit’s double-decker trains, we see plenty of potential for self-propelled rail diesel cars of the sort CP Rail once used on the line.

It would be neat if Metrolinx would step in, but I question whether there is the demand for any kind of commuter rail service. Buses are cheaper and can run much more frequently. Besides when I see GO buses arriving up there during the evening, there really aren't that many riders onboard.

As far as a new operator goes I'll be interested to see what happens. I think OBRY is too small for someone like G&W to take over. I wonder if they could interest Ontario Southland. They also operate the Guelph Junction Railway, which is isolated from their other lines.

Metrolinx buying the line seems like a good idea. Maybe the line isn't ready for service to Orangeville now, but in the future? Who knows.

Once that happens, a trial shuttle from Orangeville to Brampton, timed to meet the train, would be worthwhile.

It would be neat if Metrolinx would step in, but I question whether there is the demand for any kind of commuter rail service. Buses are cheaper and can run much more frequently. Besides when I see GO buses arriving up there during the evening, there really aren't that many riders onboard.

As far as a new operator goes I'll be interested to see what happens. I think OBRY is too small for someone like G&W to take over. I wonder if they could interest Ontario Southland. They also operate the Guelph Junction Railway, which is isolated from their other lines.

There's been speculation online that potentially five bidders are interested.

Last edited:

I too wonder about G&W. They are in the process of losing a lot of business in the Southern Ontario area however, and may want to reinforce their position by taking on a couple of the smaller contracts coming up for bid shortly.

OSR is reportedly not interested in OBRY so long as OBRAG are managing the operation up there.

There's been spevuspecul online that potentially five bidders are interested.

There are six bidders, one of which is Canadian.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Metrolinx buying the line seems like a good idea. Maybe the line isn't ready for service to Orangeville now, but in the future? Who knows.

Once that happens, a trial shuttle from Orangeville to Brampton, timed to meet the train, would be worthwhile.

They could do what they did in San Diego with the Sprinter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprinter_(light_rail)

Its just a little DMU that goes along a branch line, that meets up with the main line Coaster train.

San_Diego_commuter_rail_map.png

They could do what they did in San Diego with the Sprinter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprinter_(light_rail)

Its just a little DMU that goes along a branch line, that meets up with the main line Coaster train.

Across the platform transfer at Brampton would probably be much simpler than either a connecting track there, or using the diamond and carrying on to Streetsville on CP.

It's doable, absolutely. However, it's a lot of money. The track is old, light, jointed rail and the ties are pretty rough. Some good sized bridges, not to mention Forks of Credit. Nothing that can't be replaced, but just surfacing and doing tie work won't cut it. Signals at grade crossings would have to be upgraded throughout. So - not a cheap proposition for the number of passengers. As noted, better bus service would be a whole lot cheaper.

The other issue is whether to promote development up that way. Orangeville is aggressively building, and Shelburne is dying to grow also. These are credible bedroom communities with reasonable commutes to/from the job-rich areas in Brampton and north Mississauga.....but....when do we stop enabling car-dependent lifestyles? It's one thing if people choose this lifestyle on their own, but another if the government subsidises this choice in a big way. Same issue as we've been debating in the Moose thread.

Given that Orangeville has made its own bed with its past management of OBRY and its limited interest in industrial growth, I'm not sympathetic to Ontaario making that investment while so much of RER has yet to be build. Worst case - landbank the line for another decade. Or hope someone can keep it crawling in the meanwhile.

- Paul

Back