Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

If anyone needs some lumber there is a forest of dead trees all along "revitalized" Bloor Street. Just bring a saw with you.

That bad?
I thought I read that they are going to replace them all, right?? At one point this spring??

I hope so but who knows, they might not be replanted until the autumn. The sooner the better and I hope they plant something that can survive this time.

With the brutal winter we just had (coldest February on record) it's no wonder that trees not well suited to the climate did poorly in a highly urban setting. As it's been mentioned, a few blocks inland from the lake can make a noticeable difference in temperature so it's not surprising that the same trees might do better on the lakeshore.

Does anyone know if the trees will be replaced with a different species?

Walked by yesterday, every tree is dead. Firstly, they (BIA) should get a refund on the money. Secondly, change species to a more survivable or hardy variety. Maybe Pine Trees??

Last edited:
Walked by yesterday, every tree is dead. Firstly, they (BIA) should get a refund on the money. Secondly, change species to a more survivable or hardy variety. Maybe Pine Trees??

I've been wondering WTF is going on there. This is particularly crushing because it gives the naysayers something to point at.

Can anyone confirm that top-rate infrastructure was put in (i.e. good irrigation systems)?

My better half points out that this variety of tree is scarce in Toronto and there may be a reason for that. Plus, as some have pointed out - that winter just past was a beeyatch.

… I wanted so much for this revitalization effort to be a success from the get-go. Damn.

I've been wondering WTF is going on there. This is particularly crushing because it gives the naysayers something to point at.

Can anyone confirm that top-rate infrastructure was put in (i.e. good irrigation systems)?

My better half points out that this variety of tree is scarce in Toronto and there may be a reason for that. Plus, as some have pointed out - that winter just past was a beeyatch.

… I wanted so much for this revitalization effort to be a success from the get-go. Damn.

There are NO irrigation systems, that was cut from the project early on; hence the little green bags filled w/water that were beside all the new plantings.

Second, I don't want to be too repetitive as I've spoken at length on species selection in this thread and others.

Suffice to say, London Plane Tree was always the wrong choice for this space, it can survive here in near ideal conditions (large healthy lawns, lots of sun, shielded from the worst wind etc.). It is not an appropriate street tree for this climate.

The City, belatedly, seems prepared to admit this; I don't know what they will propose as alternatives, fingers crossed its not Ginkgo.

I would strongly suggest, honey locust for the big round circles in flush w/the sidewalk and Red and White Oak for most of the beds; perhaps going
w/Silver Maple in the Yonge - Bay block.

There are other legit choices; the keys are native, urban tolerant and some variety, just in case a mistake is made.

Also, it matters where the genetic stock of the tree is from; ie. A red oak seeded from a tree in North Carolina (southern limit of their range) is likely
attuned better to those climate/light level conditions. A red oak from seed from a successful southern Ontario tree will likely perform better.

This entire project has been a fiasco from the get-go. Choosing a tree that might survive in this climate is not rocket science. How many different ways can Toronto succeed in humiliating itself? It's just one cock-up after another: the Ford follies, the Maple Laffs, subways to nowhere, exploding windows--it just never ends. I guess the Pan Am Games will redeem the city-that-used-to-work from its current string of utter ineptitude.

This entire project has been a fiasco from the get-go. Choosing a tree that might survive in this climate is not rocket science. How many different ways can Toronto succeed in humiliating itself? It's just one cock-up after another: the Ford follies, the Maple Laffs, subways to nowhere, exploding windows--it just never ends. I guess the Pan Am Games will redeem the city-that-used-to-work from its current string of utter ineptitude.

Way to go full hyperbole.
BUT BUT WE'RE THE ONLY CITY IN THE WORLD WITH PROBLEMS!!!11! AND BAD SPORT TEAMS!!!11! OMG TORONTO IS A JOKE!!!!11

Are we sure the London Planes are all dead? I haven't been along here lately but some trees only began to bud a week & a half ago, and some trees only started getting leaves this past week. Could they be behind in budding? Also, am I on drugs or did I not see those silica cells or whatever they're called put into the ground for each of these trees?

Back