Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

Yep. Further South, and on the ocean, so fewer long hard freezes. Earlier, longer spring and later, longer autumn. Less snow.

It's not just a Toronto vs. New York thing. The climate at Harbourfront is different from the climate at Bloor-Yorkville in fact, as the lake takes longer to warm up in the spring and then holds the heat longer in the fall (you know, during those years that we actually get some heat). We're right on the edge of climate zones here, and some tree species that will flourish along the lakeshore won't do so well 30 km north. Throw in harsher conditions thanks to shadows and wind, and questionable de-icing practices in the winter, and things become a little unpredictable.

easterncanada.gif

Source

Attachments

• easterncanada.gif
    easterncanada.gif
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,309
True, and the elevation rises as you move away from the lake, so it gets colder as you move up. I've noticed that the changeover from rain to snow usually happens somewhere around Dundas.

And then ice north of Dupont.

Further to my New York comment there are some lovely trees of this variety in Central Park (although some of that terrain seems rocky and the soil conditions not all that good). The Island where the Statue of Liberty is on has almost exclusively Sycamore / Planes and they seemed to be stressed with a lot of die-off but maybe just damaged from the hurricane that hit New York not that long ago.

I'm sure these Bloor Street London Planes would do fine here in High Park as well.
I'm watching the health of the new street trees planted along Bloor this year both in the West and East Ends. How they do might give some insight into what is so wrong with the Bloor Yorkville stretch.

After seeming to have stalled for several week, the art work construction site at Yonge and Bloor is now a massive patch of asphalt.

Also, after a couple months of operating, about 75% of the in-ground lights along Bloor E are out.

After seeming to have stalled for several week, the art work construction site at Yonge and Bloor is now a massive patch of asphalt.

Also, after a couple months of operating, about 75% of the in-ground lights along Bloor E are out.
They covered the site with ashphault last week. There were often pedestrian traffic jams in that location due to the constricted space, so maybe they covered it since they're not going to work on it in the winter?

I saw the Salvation Army band playing there on Saturday lunchtime

About a month ago it looked like they were real close. There were 2 large metal bases for what I guess was the artwork and at the west perimeter of the hole they built forms and installed rebar for what looked like a media tower. They removed the forms and rebar for the media tower and then the site sat still until it was paved over. Will probaby resume in the spring but the Yorkville BIA must be apoplectic. Don't forget there's supposed to be 2 more installations at Bay & Bloor.

Perhaps the patched asphalt is the art work? An homage to the Toronto sidewalk? Seriously, stick a wooden hydro pole in it and it'll look like just about any other main drag in hog town.

On the other hand the BIA website clearly indicates why the sculptures could not be installed. While disappointing I don't have a problem with their explanation. What we think is the ground is also the roof of the spaces below grade and there is a problem that Brookfield (the commercial landlord) must fix. They are going to fix it but not as dictated by the schedule of the BIA or us.

If anyone needs some lumber there is a forest of dead trees all along "revitalized" Bloor Street. Just bring a saw with you.

Back