News   May 24, 2024
 196     0 
News   May 23, 2024
 614     0 
News   May 23, 2024
 1.3K     7 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

They should have on one Spadina. And Bathurst too.

Likewise at Martin Grove, Islington, Royal York, Rogers Rd, Dupont, Dundas, Queen West, John, Coxwell, Warden and Birchmount. Then it would be a true localized service, and not just mimicking GO service.

I do wonder though if they are thinking about putting SmartTrack underground for the Downtown portion, and add maybe 2 more stops - that maybe a good compromise for the DRL. Run it down Wellington/King St. They can always open SmartTrack in 2 phases, with surface rail in 7-8 years, and downtown portion in 12-15 years. I rather they tunnel under downtown than under Eglinton West. If anything, they can just keep using the Kitchner line all the way up to Bramlea City Center for Smart Track (and maybe add a stop near Woodbine Race Track)

I do wonder though if they are thinking about putting SmartTrack underground for the Downtown portion, and add maybe 2 more stops - that maybe a good compromise for the DRL. Run it down Wellington/King St. They can always open SmartTrack in 2 phases, with surface rail in 7-8 years, and downtown portion in 12-15 years. I rather they tunnel under downtown than under Eglinton West. If anything, they can just keep using the Kitchner line all the way up to Bramlea City Center for Smart Track (and maybe add a stop near Woodbine Race Track)

See page 9: http://static1.squarespace.com/stat...SRRA+-+Business+Case+Regional+Relief+Line.pdf

This is probably the report Smart Track is based on.

AoD

The original ST map used during the campaign already a Spadina stop, which is definitely needed, as well as a Liberty Village stop.

Bathurst should probably be considered as well yeah.

Yes and I like the fact that the surface part can be done first, tunnelling happening after it's already running.

Bathurst and King(or nearby) would definitely be a place for further development and intensification. There is also a fair bit of employment there.

IMO it should go:

Dundas West --> Queen West (Dufferin) --> Liberty Village --> Bathurst --> Spadina --> University --> Yonge --> Sherbourne --> Cherry

The whole purpose of the line is to connect the suburbs with their jobs in downtown or the shoulder areas of downtown. Very few people are going to be commuting from Dundas West to Scarborough on SmartTrack, they will be commuting to their destinations in Liberty Village or the Fashion District or the East Bayfront. It should not be a concern that the line has "too many" stops in downtown slowing the commute because an express line through downtown is not the purpose of SmartTrack.

The line has less utility to the average user the fewer stops it has in downtown & shoulder areas.

Bathurst and King(or nearby) would definitely be a place for further development and intensification. There is also a fair bit of employment there.

IMO it should go:

Dundas West --> Queen West (Dufferin) --> Liberty Village --> Bathurst --> Spadina --> University --> Yonge --> Sherbourne --> Cherry

The whole purpose of the line is to connect the suburbs with their jobs in downtown or the shoulder areas of downtown. Very few people are going to be commuting from Dundas West to Scarborough on SmartTrack, they will be commuting to their destinations in Liberty Village or the Fashion District or the East Bayfront. It should not be a concern that the line has "too many" stops in downtown slowing the commute because an express line through downtown is not the purpose of SmartTrack.

The line has less utility to the average user the fewer stops it has in downtown & shoulder areas.

I think it should have slightly wider stop spacing than a normal subway, but not too wide.

I mostly agree with you're stops except:

- Not sure about Queen & Dufferin given that there's already a stop at LV
- University & Yonge would be one stop: Union station

I also think there would be people commuting from downtown to the suburbs using parts of ST. Ex. Dundas West or CityPlace to Mississauga, in addition to those coming to downtown & shoulder areas. There are many currently who do commutes like that (by car).

But yeah, a "surface subway" along the rail corridor hitting all these highly dense residential & job-filled areas would be extremely useful. Lots of people work east & west of downtown where there currently isn't any rapid transit service.

Queen&Dufferin would be where SmartTrack would interchange with a Downtown Relief Line if one is still to be built. Also intercept with the Queen Streetcar.

It would also be a new stop on the Kitchener GO line, allowing users to transfer onto SmartTrack to reach Liberty Village/Bathurst/Spadina destinations, rather than transferring at Union. Maybe this isn't as important but saving a few minutes and reducing the congestion at Union station is potentially worthwhile.

How about on Lansdowne or Dundas West as well? I know the way the rail corridor cuts through the area makes accessibility in that area a challenge. I'd also add stops on Dupont, St. Clair West, Rogers, Eglinton, Jane, Scarlett, Royal York, Islington Kipling and Martin Grove.

We want SmartTrack to be quicker in the suburbs, in order for it to be time competitive with subways and the car. This means bigger stop spacing.

Personally, I would just do St. Clair and Eglinton since we have two transit lines for SmartTrack to intersect with. Maybe Dupont as well if we want to promote development in the area.

We want SmartTrack to be quicker in the suburbs, in order for it to be time competitive with subways and the car. This means bigger stop spacing.

Personally, I would just do St. Clair and Eglinton since we have two transit lines for SmartTrack to intersect with. Maybe Dupont as well if we want to promote development in the area.

Yeah, it's really important that ST be integrated well with existing or future transit lines like Eglinton LRT or St Clair streetcar. ST stations in the suburbs should be farther apart, and also need to have bus bays and have convenient connections to LRTs (Sheppard LRT at Agincourt station for example).

That's why I was happy to hear about Metrolinx creating a direct connection between the Dundas West station on the Bloor subway and the GO station there, which would be a future ST station.

I don't see what's wrong with tunnelling under Eglinton in Etobicoke. It's not like there's a choice - there's no more room now that the Richview corridor is being developed, and there's no room for elevating it. Let's just be honest, it's not going to run in the middle of the street, so underground is the only option and everyone knows it.

Probably? This is the report ST is based on. They even use the same terminology.

Mind that this report has several issues. I wouldn't take anything in this report as face value.

It makes the same assumptions about the Richview (Eglinton) corridor that has been proven to be incorrect:

1. The land was owned by Metropolitan Toronto, not the province. That is why it's Build Toronto that's been selling it off;
2. Even in early 2013, the land was largely sold and already being developed.

The 2013 SRRA report is garbage, but at least now I see where "SmartTrack" came from.

I don't see what's wrong with tunnelling under Eglinton in Etobicoke. It's not like there's a choice - there's no more room now that the Richview corridor is being developed, and there's no room for elevating it. Let's just be honest, it's not going to run in the middle of the street, so underground is the only option and everyone knows it.

The other option is actually figuring out if a heavy rail tunnel under Eglinton cost effective; or the other options of maintaining bus service or extending the Eglinton-Crosstown LRT as originally planned, perhaps send "SmartTrack" further northwest to serve Weston and Rexdale, even Malton and Brampton. We need not be tied to a map because some mayoral candidate used it as a prop.

Last edited:

Back