News   Apr 17, 2024
 535     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 302     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Wow. Amazing work. I can really see why this took 8 years to complete. You don't get this level of fine craftsmanship overnight. 5-star performance TTC!

really?
It looks like a men's room for me.
8 year? Shouldn't have taken more than 8 months. A massive train station gets built in less than 8 years.

Is that entrance near the elevator itself accessible?

Probably not. It's just a second exit that may or may not have been there before, which is located halfway up between platform level and street level. I'm not even sure if the elevator stops there in the first place. Wheelchair users are to use the main entrance for elevator access from street to subway.

I could imagine a future where St Clair up to Lawrence along Yonge is a pretty high density corridor with mixed use the whole way. St Clair & Yonge in a way is already a mini downtownish node.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could imagine a future where St Clair up to Lawrence along Yonge is a pretty high density corridor with mixed use the whole way. St Clair & Yonge in a way is already a mini downtownish node.

For this density to work the TTC will have to retro-build the once-proposed station at Blythwood (Sporting Life), as the walk between Eglinton and Lawrence is very long. From Blythwood it's a 15 minute walk to Eglinton station and 13 minutes to Lawrence (by Google's math - I walk a bit faster).

On a serious note, I seem to remember ongoing work as early as September 2011. Was the work stopped and then restarted?

The article mentions that there was a dispute with the first contractor, but that was in 2009. That first dispute and legal battle would be enough to cause a major project delay, and is why the contract would be have to be re-awarded in the first place.

It mentions that they put out another bidding call in 2011 but no contracts were awarded due to the prices received. The work might have been some sort of investigative type engineering work tied to that bidding call, or could have been unrelated.

For this density to work the TTC will have to retro-build the once-proposed station at Blythwood (Sporting Life), as the walk between Eglinton and Lawrence is very long. From Blythwood it's a 15 minute walk to Eglinton station and 13 minutes to Lawrence (by Google's math - I walk a bit faster).

The flipside to this is that adding a station at Blythwood would make the commutes of those going southbound from North York and York Region considerably longer.

Not sure if that is worth the easier access to the presently underdeveloped retail potential of Yonge around Blythwood.

Presently, the Sporting Life is the absolute northern border of any walk up Yonge from Eglinton. There is little worth visiting north of the Sporting Life. TBH the retail vibrancy dies north of Keewatin/Sherwood, which is still quite a walk south of Blythwood.

Last edited by a moderator:
The flipside to this is that adding a station at Blythwood would make the commutes of those going southbound from North York and York Region considerably longer.
Considerably longer? It would add 2 minutes tops, if that. Trains seem to normally slow down between Lawrence and Eglinton anyway. Why only southbound?

15981822416_de6ef3b3ec_o.jpg
15820340240_6b9c34dc0f_o.jpg

Salsa and Everyone: Adding the Route 192 Kipling-YYZ Rocket to the TTC Subway map is a good move noting that this is a special route serving Pearson International Airport...

The MTA's NYC Transit Subway Map shows connecting bus routes serving LGA and JFK and has for some time...

This is a good alternate for budget-minded travelers noting the much higher proposed UPE fares...

Happy Holidays All!!!
LI MIKE

Wow. Amazing work. I can really see why this took 8 years to complete. You don't get this level of fine craftsmanship overnight. 5-star performance TTC!

really?
It looks like a men's room for me.
8 year? Shouldn't have taken more than 8 months. A massive train station gets built in less than 8 years.

You have no taste for beautiful architecture, ksun. Lawrence West is now, undoubtedly, one of the top 5 best designed metro stations in the world. And it's all thanks to the care and craftsmanship put into the work. I would attempt explain to you why this station is so beautiful, but I don't think I should waste my energy on someone as hopeless as you. Good riddance.

;)

This is apparently a problem in both New York and London. Will it come here too? View attachment 39558

When the vehicle is not crowded, I will sit as comfortably as possible. As it fills up I will make accommodations for my fellow passengers. It is just common courtesy, not rocket science!

Back