259     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 218     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.8K     5 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two questions: 1.) If Doug is successful in politics, where would you rather see him - as leader of PCPO or as mayor? 2.) In Toronto, how do you rate Doug's chances in a second mayoral run if Rob is no longer in the picture?

Here are my thoughts: 1.) Although I don't want him in either role, I'd rather see Doug as PCPO leader than mayor. As we have seen, there's little organizational structure around the mayor's office. Each mayor makes their own, so there are few forces to contain behaviour. As party leader, Doug would would be reined in by party brass, his caucus, the party membership and so on. I think he'd find it frustrating and confining. 2.) If Rob dies a couple of years before the next mayoral election, I don't think Doug will fare as well as he did this year. People will have moved on from the sympathy vote, and it will be harder for Doug to be a proxy for Rob. He'd still have a solid base, but I don't think he'd get same level of support as this year.

Anyone else?

Mayor - simply because of the potential for damage at a far greater scale. Can you imagine Doug getting into the machinations of provincial politics? It'd make Ornge look tame.

AoD

Mayor - simply because of the potential for damage at a far greater scale. Can you imagine Doug getting into the machinations of provincial politics? It'd make Ornge look tame.

AoD

Ah, but the question wasn't PREMIER or Mayor. Just leader of the PCPO.
I'd rather he's there. He'll hate being in opposition which, yes, appeals to his natural ability to bitch and bitch, but in a majority government he'd be totally ineffectual and that would drive him bonkers, I suspect.

I think he'd be a huge gift to Wynne who would be a shoe-in for re-election unless she stumbles into a new, horrible scandal. I admit I keep underestimating his "appeal" but even if he can get enough delegates to gain the leadership, I don't see him impressing people across the province.

It's true that as mayor, council can circumvent him etc. and there's less damage to do, but as opposition leader? I'm OK with that.

Two questions: 1.) If Doug is successful in politics, where would you rather see him - as leader of PCPO or as mayor? 2.) In Toronto, how do you rate Doug's chances in a second mayoral run if Rob is no longer in the picture?

Here are my thoughts: 1.) Although I don't want him in either role, I'd rather see Doug as PCPO leader than mayor. As we have seen, there's little organizational structure around the mayor's office. Each mayor makes their own, so there are few forces to contain behaviour. As party leader, Doug would would be reined in by party brass, his caucus, the party membership and so on. I think he'd find it frustrating and confining. 2.) If Rob dies a couple of years before the next mayoral election, I don't think Doug will fare as well as he did this year. People will have moved on from the sympathy vote, and it will be harder for Doug to be a proxy for Rob. He'd still have a solid base, but I don't think he'd get same level of support as this year.

Anyone else?

1.) I would rather see Doug, successful in politics, in neither roles in Ontario. Dougie would shine best as a MP (back bencher or not) or holding office in the U.S. The later would be impossible, he would be less of a little fish in their big pond; no Rotary Club bullshit and such to work from to dupe people.

2.) Rob was smart to quit the mayor's office (but wait, Fords don't quit anything), he could not win a second term, and those numbers transferred to Dougie's run. IMNSHO since Dougie could not win this mayoral run with Robbie as cllr. then he would not have a chance without his Wonder Twin, not even with a sympathy vote.

I'd rather he's there. He'll hate being in opposition which, yes, appeals to his natural ability to bitch and bitch, but in a majority government he'd be totally ineffectual and that would drive him bonkers, I suspect.

I realize that, and I'd rather not risk him being the premier over being the mayor.

AoD

I think he'd be a huge gift to Wynne who would be a shoe-in for re-election unless she stumbles into a new, horrible scandal. I admit I keep underestimating his "appeal" but even if he can get enough delegates to gain the leadership, I don't see him impressing people across the province.

It's true that as mayor, council can circumvent him etc. and there's less damage to do, but as opposition leader? I'm OK with that.

I agree. Even though council can work around a bad mayor, that mayor still has no real barriers to acting like an asshole. Party discipline would clamp down hard and fast if Doug started going rogue.

Also, the PCPO seems interested in Doug mainly for the potential to harvest GTA votes. I wonder what the math is telling them. Doug polled well in the northeast and northwest, which is good news. The bad news is that his share of the total popular vote was far below Rob's in 2010, even though turnout was much higher. What does that add up to? The answer is ambiguous at best.

Also, PCPO strategists need to take a hard look at the strength of Doug's support. How many people voted for the man and how many supported him because he's Rob's brother? I have no idea, but I think Doug needs Rob (cancer-fighitng Rob, not dense/drunk Rob) to maintain the current level of good will.

Yup, my first thought too. Who did the edit and when was it updated.
It looks like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Guat6 added the information about Karla's Jewish ancestery. The edit looks innocent enough, and is well sourced - editor does a lot of work, and doesn't seem to have an agenda. Further edits have been made to reference the questions about this ancestry raised in the media; these further edits are by Kaneandhicks - although this is not an experienced editor, and unfortunately does seem to have an agenda, and more clean-up needs to be done.

In the modern retelling Miller is the log (or broom, as it were), we're the Frogs and Rob is the Crane (in the sky). However, in our version there is an extra chapter:

Moral: If you're an expensive appliance, you'll eventually be bought by someone who doesn't really know what to do with you but figures you'll make their dump look a little classier.

*cough* Kitchenaid Mixer *cough* Vitamix blender *cough*

Last edited:
So how long before the Ward 2 byelection? Will Jude's case go before a judge anytime in 2015, or am I dreaming there too?

I give it 'til March.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back