News   May 17, 2024
 2.8K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

The province of Toronto?

If Toronto was on there own sure they could be a have province but there are parts of Ontario that could also be have's and of course you would have areas that would be have nots.

Comparing "The Province of Toronto" to NYC and Long Island becoming the 51st US State

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposal_for_the_Province_of_Toronto

Everything from Burlington to Bomanville, Keswick to Downtown. Create one regional district and make it worth while.

Den: Good post answering my question about what the proposed "Province of Toronto"
would consist of...

This subject reminded me of the thought of New York City and Long Island becoming
the 51st US State - the classic New York State "Downstate" vs. "Upstate" debate...

What are the chances that the Toronto Metropolitan Region can secede from Ontario
to create this new province? Does it have the support that it would need?

I found two Wikipedia pages concerning the New York State divide:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/secession_in_New_York (an overview)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City:_the_51st_State (historical primarily-1969)

Even with New York's differences I do not see any effort to split up the State of New York because of monetary factors
like taxes a prime example...

It is so tough to even attempt to create a new NYS County like the proposed Peconic
County on eastern Long Island from the 5 East End towns of Suffolk County...

Noting that how much that Ontario's jurisdictions have changed over the last 50-60
years I wonder if it would be easier to form a new Province in Canada...

Would the residents of the Toronto Region support the creation of a new Province
of Toronto? Can this pass a voting referendum?

This is quite interesting and I will keep note of this subject...LI MIKE

Last edited:
If Toronto were to separate, I highly doubt it would be the current 416 on its own. Though I could see the historical 416 area becoming its own province.

That said, I find any division of the province of Ontario (or New York state for that matter) highly unlikely.

Secessions are far more likely to happen when you have a Sudan/South Sudan situation. And I don't see that happening in the West lol.

Den: Good post answering my question about what the proposed "Province of Toronto"
would consist of...

This subject reminded me of the thought of New York City and Long Island becoming
the 51st US State - the classic New York State "Downstate" vs. "Upstate" debate...

What are the chances that the Toronto Metropolitan Region can secede from Ontario
to create this new province? Does it have the support that it would need?

I found two Wikipedia pages concerning the New York State divide:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/secession_in_New_York (an overview)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City:_the_51st_State (historical primarily-1969)

Even with New York's differences I do not see any effort to split up the State of New York because of monetary factors
like taxes a prime example...

It is so tough to even attempt to create a new NYS County like the proposed Peconic
County on eastern Long Island from the 5 East End towns of Suffolk County...

Noting that how much that Ontario's jurisdictions have changed over the last 50-60
years I wonder if it would be easier to form a new Province in Canada...

Would the residents of the Toronto Region support the creation of a new Province
of Toronto? Can this pass a voting referendum?

This is quite interesting and I will keep note of this subject...LI MIKE

Thanks for the info! Will have to read.

If Toronto were to separate, I highly doubt it would be the current 416 on its own. Though I could see the historical 416 area becoming its own province.

That said, I find any division of the province of Ontario (or New York state for that matter) highly unlikely.

Secessions are far more likely to happen when you have a Sudan/South Sudan situation. And I don't see that happening in the West lol.

Me neither. But now for Quebec...

If we leave the province I wonder how quickly reality hits northern ontario that without the GTA tax base, things like their infrastructure is screwed.

"Mr Hiller why are our roads not being fixed no more"

I once heard that the gas tax (and other fees) alone in the city can maintain our own roads. But because we have to subsidized the rest of the province it's not enough and has to get extra money from general funds.

If they had to pay their own way for the essentials maybe they wouldn't be so worried about subsidized horse racing, which I don't mind horse racing but if they can't support themselves as an industry what's the point.

Never going to change. Apathetic electorate. And you'd need a mayoral candidate who actually would run and win on secession as a platform.

If Toronto could keep all the money that the province takes from us, we'd be rolling in so much money that we wouldn't know what to do with it all.

This sounds like a standard separatist appeal in any country (just insert what you want instead of Toronto and the province - for example: QC and Canada, UK and Scotland, Ukraine and Eastern Ukraine and so on):cool:

If we leave the province I wonder how quickly reality hits northern ontario that without the GTA tax base, things like their infrastructure is screwed.

"Mr Hiller why are our roads not being fixed no more"

I once heard that the gas tax (and other fees) alone in the city can maintain our own roads. But because we have to subsidized the rest of the province it's not enough and has to get extra money from general funds.

If they had to pay their own way for the essentials maybe they wouldn't be so worried about subsidized horse racing, which I don't mind horse racing but if they can't support themselves as an industry what's the point.

yet those people complain about why their taxes are used to fund Toronto's transit. How funny is that?
Toronto going alone makes all the sense and will be great news for the city. Queen's Park takes too much and doesn't invest hardly enough.

Let's not forget how much tax goes to Ottawa. For those who complain about money going to Queen's Park.
The federal government needs to do more to transfer money to municipalities.

Separation isn't the solution but Toronto does need better funding (a dedicated tax or a larger portion of taxes) and investment from other levels of government, no question.

I agree entirely. Turning Canada's major cities into provinces would be a disservice to the federation. Transferring proper amounts to them so they can deal with infrastructure properly and/or transferring some income-generation to them is what needs to be done.....like, 40 years ago.

Back