789     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Toronto Star backing Tory

goldsbie 4:05pm via Twitter Web Client

Star endorses Tory: on.thestar.com/1rpRvs8

The star back Tory!

Why wouldn't the Star back Tory, the Liberal machine has been behind Tory from the beginning and the Star is a Liberal paper. Large "L" that is.
Often small "l" too, but the large "L" usually trumps.

So who is Toronto-the-person that Levine distills from 220 years of multicultural occupation since the 17th-century visit of French bad boy Étienne Brûlé and the Seneca village of Teiaiagon on the Carrying Place trail and the arrival in 1793 of John Graves Simcoe? Hint: You are not going to like him—

Not gonna do the spoiler thing, but this quote from Leopold Infeld, who worked with Einstein and taught at U of T stood oot (and aboot):

“it must be good to die in Toronto. The transition between life and death would be continuous, painless and scarcely noticeable.â€

That's better than "New York Run By The Swiss', IMO, so shall take it up in my continued cosmopolitan dismissals of my home town as a loogan backwater lurking just a few centimetres below a shiny global financial centre (Hey, I still consider Van-Groovy a two-fisted. inked-up, balding stevadore 'burg whose residents are permanently stunned by the beauty that surrounds them).

Read the review. It really paints this book's version of the city's history as greedy, racist, exclusionary, self-serving, self-dealing, enforcedly patrician and nakedly ugly. Of those last two. one suspects we shall be temporarily rid of the latter soon and shortly thereafter re-acquainted with the familiar charms of second-latter.

Valpy (the reviewer) tries to end on a positive note with a Jane Jacobs quote. But that in itself is barbed. Valpy doesn't like this book it seems. And I want to read it.

Chow was listing all the bus routes cut by Ford. Tory says 30 out of 50 in Scarborough.

No wonder they want subways. CH took away all the effing buses! Scarberians need to get around too.

It's starting to get irritating that people pay out on Olivia for focusing so much on buses and not having a greater vision for transit. Subways, anyone?

The fact is you can fire up another bus in a minute, but you can't fire up another subway tunnel anytime soon.

These are problems that need fixing *now*, not in a decade, and incidentally recently made much worse by Ford himself (supported by Doug if he happened to be around).

Olivia's bus focus may be boring, but this shows she's working towards fixing the Ford problem, and not in a pissing contest to see who has more vision. Smart truckload, anyone?

Ask Doug to give you vision. A couple of bowls oughta do. Man, am I feeling crabby.

ETA- this shows that cleaning up the Ford legacy is going to need more than a fresh face in the mayor's chair. Who would be most able to get council to work out a clean-up and fix agenda. Whatever that might mean.

Last edited:
Chow was listing all the bus routes cut by Ford. Tory says 30 out of 50 in Scarborough.

No wonder they want subways. CH took away all the effing buses! Barbarians need to get around too.

It's starting to get irritating that people pay out on Olivia for focusing so much on buses and not having a greater vision for transit. Subways, anyone?

The fact is you can fire up another bus in a minute, but you can't fire up another subway tunnel anytime soon.

These are problems that need fixing *now*, not in a decade, and incidentally recently made much worse by Ford himself (supported by Doug if he happened to be around).

Olivia's bus focus may be boring, but this shows she's working towards fixing the Ford problem, and not in a pissing contest to see who has more vision. Smart truckload, anyone?

Ask Doug to give you vision. A couple of bowls oughta do. Man, am I feeling crabby.

https://twitter.com/Grumpy_Jake/status/458061239407480832

Last edited:
I remember seeing one of those buses pulling up on a cold and snowy or rainy night, and thinking it a fine sight indeed. :)

Better than no bus IMO. It doesn't mean no improvements later. But if you want to wait for a few years instead of getting your old service back, go ahead.

In my dreams I always ride the subway, and I hate the bus at the best of times. But sometimes you need a ride.

Last edited:
betsy powell @powellbetsy
A terrorist question. Maybe a first for this campaign?

How great a risk is terrorism to Toronto? Chow believes bridge-building and celebrating eachother is the best defence against terrorist acts

"Am I worried, no I am not worried," Chow says on terrorism. Tory says he agrees with her on bridge-building. "That's how this city works."

I remember seeing one of those pulling up on a cold and snowy or rainy night, and thinking it a fine sight indeed. :)

Me too, L-D!

A terrorist question. Maybe a first for this campaign?

They've debated everything over and over. I'm disappointed that emergency preparedness was not discussed.

Last edited:
Not gonna do the spoiler thing, but this quote from Leopold Infeld, who worked with Einstein and taught at U of T stood oot (and aboot):

“it must be good to die in Toronto. The transition between life and death would be continuous, painless and scarcely noticeable.”

That's better than "New York Run By The Swiss', IMO, so shall take it up in my continued cosmopolitan dismissals of my home town as a loogan backwater lurking just a few centimetres below a shiny global financial centre (Hey, I still consider Van-Groovy a two-fisted. inked-up, balding stevadore 'burg whose residents are permanently stunned by the beauty that surrounds them).

Read the review. It really paints this book's version of the city's history as greedy, racist, exclusionary, self-serving, self-dealing, enforcedly patrician and nakedly ugly. Of those last two. one suspects we shall be temporarily rid of the latter soon and shortly thereafter re-acquainted with the familiar charms of second-latter.

Valpy (the reviewer) tries to end on a positive note with a Jane Jacobs quote. But that in itself is barbed. Valpy doesn't like this book it seems. And I want to read it.
I know Étienne Brûlé was killed and eaten by the local native people, because he was so despicable to them. I love reading about the history of Toronto, even about the Toronto-Not-So-Good.

Charlie Gillis, in MacLeans. Wherein he discovers that division is a useful political tool. Who knew? Also, he drops this oddness in the middle of an otherwise pedestrianly obvious piece:

"Faced with a candidate in Tory whose wealth, polish and cosmopolitanism encapsulates the city’s self-image..."

Allrighty then. Still, one imagines Gillis probably leaned back in his swiveler, smugly tugged his bow-tie and reassured himself with "Naaaailed It!".

Totally OT (but related slightly due to media role in investigations of government?) - Ben Bradlee, formerly of the Washington Post, has died...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back