News   May 03, 2024
 103     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 432     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 1.1K     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

I don't see the need for you to go into Godwin territory here. As far as I know, he hasn't endorsed anyone in this race, nor has anyone endorsed him.

I'm also not sure why you think that racism or a tyrant who murdered millions is worthy of a smiley face.

I was only making fun of Watts' earlier post.

I think his position on the matter is less about being anti-gay and more about being pro-Israel. In the past, he has even suggested that creationism could be taught next to evolution in public schools. Let's just be thankful that he seems to be in favour of gay rights, and not that they should be fenced in to die like some "Christian" figureheads in the States.

In the past, he has even suggested that creationism could be taught next to evolution in public schools.
What? Really? John Tory advocated teaching "creationism"? Is there a reference for this?

Despite my earlier comments, I'm surprised by this.

John Tory puts faith in school religion
Taxpayers should fund Islamic, Hindu, Jewish and other faith-based schools just like public and Catholic ones, Opposition Leader John Tory says.

Tory ignites creationism debate
Christian schools would still be able to teach creationism, even if they got public funding, Progressive Conservative Leader John Tory said yesterday.

I must have missed that back at the time.

"It's still called the theory of evolution," Tory said.
Wow. Just wow. Even I'm taken aback by this.

Godwin's law: if an online discussion goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism

You missed the point. I wasn't comparing anyone or anything to Hitler. I used him to demonstrate that even though he was one of the most evil people that ever lived, there were certain aspects to him that one could like. And liking those things about him doesn't necessarily mean that one supported his agenda. Whereas nfitz believes that if one in any way supports someone with any controversial flaws/beliefs, then they are bigots.

You misunderstand Godwin's law.

Tory is someone who supported the Fords even fairly recently, and in the past thought that creationism ought to be taught in publicly-funded schools.

He also is now indulging Likud-esque "criticism of Israel = anti semitism" garbage. If you think that there's nothing at least vaguely apartheid-esque about Israel's relations with the West Bank and Gaza, I'd suggest reading today's editorial in Ha'aretz:

http://www.haaretz.com/mobile/1.616656

You missed the point. I wasn't comparing anyone or anything to Hitler. I used him to demonstrate that even though he was one of the most evil people that ever lived, there were certain aspects to him that one could like. And liking those things about him doesn't necessarily mean that one supported his agenda. Whereas nfitz believes that if one in any way supports someone with any controversial flaws/beliefs, then they are bigots.
So hang on ... the person who seems to be attacking me for pointing out John Tory's history of racism, bigotry, and supporting creationism, is also saying that there are aspects of Adolf Hitler than one could like?

Massive fail.

You might like some aspects of Adolf Hitler. But there isn't a single one that I admire.

Is this John Tory's new campaign slogan? "There are some aspects of Adolf Hitler that one would like"? If not, can I suggest this be moved to a new thread entitled "Likeable aspects of Adolf Hitler".

So hang on ... the person who seems to be attacking me for pointing out John Tory's history of racism, bigotry, and supporting creationism, is also saying that there are aspects of Adolf Hitler than one could like?

Massive fail.

You might like some aspects of Adolf Hitler. But there isn't a single one that I admire.

Is this John Tory's new campaign slogan? "There are some aspects of Adolf Hitler that one would like"? If not, can I suggest this be moved to a new thread entitled "Likeable aspects of Adolf Hitler".

No, that isn't a massive fail. You are unable to see anything but the worst in people. I'm not saying Hitler was someone that deserved respect (he was a repulsive human being); I am saying that his love for architecture is something that anyone here could agree with. Don't you get that? Can't you comprehend anything? But to you, I guess that would mean that anyone that saw eye to eye with him on that subject must be a jew hater? Anyway, this conversation is pointless since you can't interpret anything in a logical way. Back to the main topic.

Last edited:
No, that isn't a massive fail.
Trying to point out the good points in Adolf Hitler isn't a massive fail?

You are unable to see anything but the worst in people.
Where do you get that? Your a newbie here, and you come here and have the gall to call me names, create strawmen, put words in my mouth, and then tell me I see nothing but the worst in people. Is seeing nothing but the worst in Adolf Hitler a bad thing? Why do you seek to look for the good in Adolf Hitler?

I suppose if one has the capacity to find good in Adolf Hitler, one can find good in John Tory too! :)

Seriously though, I invariably always see the glass half-full, am an eternal optimistic, and see good in people where I probably shouldn't. But when we hit the point of no return, I do then resent that I've been hoodwinked.

John Tory has a history of bigotry. A history of racism. A history of creating divides where it's unnecessary. And now we find out (or perhaps remember) that he supports creationism. And yet your are blinded in your devotion to John Tory (and Adolf Hitler it would seem) to see the real issues, and instead focus on ... I don't even know what. John Tory's only big selling point was that he isn't Rob Ford, and won't embarrass us as much. Well he won't. But shouldn't seek more than this in a leader?

The biggest (non-Ford) issue in this election seems to be Transit. Tory has offered us little there - a massive fail, promising us what Metrolinx has already promised, but perhaps delivering slightly faster. But failing to deliver a DRL. And doing nothing to roll back the Karen Stintz cuts, let alone improve current service.

It's not like I'm taking someone with a good platform, and then trashing them for their racism, bigotry and extremist Christian views. At best we've got a mediocre and passable leader. Though now we find out his former boss at Rogers didn't even think he could be a great leader ... but might be an inspiring figurehead. This from someone who knew him well!

Last edited:
LOL ... I confess I hadn't read his response far enough to realize he'd gone into Godwin territory! I thought that had come out in a later unrelated post.

I think we need a law that says: if you have to bring up Hilter, then you are probably losing the argument :)

Olivia Chow is supporting a well documented Marxist, terrorist sympathizer and Sharia advocate in her endorsement of Ausma Malik for school board trustee.
I think her support of Malik brings up a lot of questions about her position on many issues important to people who support Chow.
Women's issues, Gay rights, support for terrorist organizations (identified by Canada) and the need to accommodate demands of the many diverse communities within the Toronto school board, among them.
http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/66164
meet-ausma-malik-the-sharia-marxist-who-wants-to-run-torontos-schools

Back