Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Hey, they still haven't got the light feature working properly. I think they need to work on fixing that first.

I disagree. Priority should be finish the cladding first, then fix the lights. I can tolerate a building with light features not working, but I can't tolerate a building with sprandel panel missing all over the facades. This thing looks unfinished and it's a shame in the middle of downtown.

Is it too late to start over?

I disagree. Priority should be finish the cladding first, then fix the lights. I can tolerate a building with light features not working, but I can't tolerate a building with sprandel panel missing all over the facades. This thing looks unfinished and it's a shame in the middle of downtown.

I hate this building for so many reasons, least of all the fact that it's an ugly monstrosity that has scarred the Toronto skyline. Worst, it has ruined our reputation internationally as a good place for luxury investment properties. After the shit show that was Talon vs. its buyers, why would any international wealthy buyer want to take a chance on property in this city? Donald Trump himself didn't help much by going on his birther rant about President Obama shortly after the building was completed and I believe the Trump brand has been permanently tarnished because of that. The best we can hope for now is either a new buyer who can re-work this property into something viable or, better yet, a giant sinkhole to reclaim the ground and remove this decadent piece of shit from our memories!

IWorst, it has ruined our reputation internationally as a good place for luxury investment properties. After the shit show that was Talon vs. its buyers, why would any international wealthy buyer want to take a chance on property in this city?

Is this even true?

If I remember this correctly, the lawsuit was for the hotel component that people purchased into for investment and not the actual condo units.

Yes I'd like to see some evidence of our international reputation for luxury investment properties being "ruined" by this one project!

Yes I'd like to see some evidence of our international reputation for luxury investment properties being "ruined" by this one project!

These stories all point to a very weak luxury condo market in Toronto that was built in anticipation of large numbers of wealthy international buyers purchasing here. Fact is, they aren't coming and there's good reason to suspect that Trump Toronto is, at least in part, responsible for that. Not only did the building massively disappoint, but the very public spat between Talon and buyers (many of whom were foreigners) played out like a Broadway production! No doubt many of the buyers who got burned by Trump did their best to dissuade people they know from putting their money in real estate here. For those of you who are tempted to point out that the Ritz, Four Seasons, Trump, and Shangra-La were geared more towards wealthy domestic baby boomers who are likely to be downsizing, I may point out that this would have been a monumental over calculation on the part of the developers. How many well-heeled buyers are there in Canada? These buildings are and always were built with the express purposes of allowing wealthy foreigners a financial vehicle to park their money in a safe investment, particularly at a time of instability in much of the global economy.

http://www.thestar.com/business/real_estate/2013/08/02/shocking_number_of_luxury_condos_for_sale_on_mls.html

http://www.ratehub.ca/mortgage-blog/2014/06/infographic-torontos-biggest-luxury-condo-blunders/

I get your points, but there is no evidence that the problems they experienced with the hotel component of this project "ruined our reputation internationally". I'd just like to keep things in perspective, with less hyperbole. There's more than enough of that to go around on UT.

I hate this building for so many reasons, least of all the fact that it's an ugly monstrosity that has scarred the Toronto skyline. Worst, it has ruined our reputation internationally as a good place for luxury investment properties. After the shit show that was Talon vs. its buyers, why would any international wealthy buyer want to take a chance on property in this city? Donald Trump himself didn't help much by going on his birther rant about President Obama shortly after the building was completed and I believe the Trump brand has been permanently tarnished because of that. The best we can hope for now is either a new buyer who can re-work this property into something viable or, better yet, a giant sinkhole to reclaim the ground and remove this decadent piece of shit from our memories!

I am no longer with the project, but I still feel the need to defend the project against the rumors that were spread by The Star and others. Since we launched the project in 2004, the rumor mill has been a constant churn. I've never understood the negativity. I am personally very proud of what we accomplished and the fact that the building was constructed and completed. The dedication, talents and perseverance of everyone associated with the project is commendable (including many dedicated purchasers). It was not easy.

Bottom-line, Talon delivered on the promise of creating a five-star property. Trump Hotel Toronto was awarded a five-star rating by Forbes in January. It has remained at the #1 spot on Tripadvisor for Toronto for the past year and a half. and more recently, was named one of the Top 10 hotels in the world. I don't think the Trump brand has been tarnished by the building. If anything, it is in sync with the Trump Hotel Collection and has enhanced it. I may be biased, but it is an absolutely beautiful property and the staff is incredible.

The hotel, the amenities and The Residences are very well designed, original and of extremely high quality. For those who have been inside the building, or have actually toured the residences, or stayed in the hotel, you know exactly what I am referring to. I don't disagree that there were some challenges with the construction of the building. It was an ambitious project. It was uniquely difficult because of the small footprint, the surrounding properties and the building's height. The high number of weather delays and cost overruns were a challenge to the schedule. In fact, nearly 18 months of time was lost due to weather-related issues (with space available for only one crane and a limited operating space, any inclement weather meant it could not be operated). It was a very expensive building to build. And yes, it is an expensive building to live in. But, keep in mind, it was designed for a particular audience that can afford it.

Regarding the hotel condominiums, contracts were signed by buyers and upon completion, many were unable to close on their units for one reason or another. The change in the real estate environment and the change in the mortgage market was not something within Talon's control. At several points throughout construction of the property purchasers were given an opportunity to opt out, yet continued to sign and approve amendments. It was only once Javad Heydary began soliciting buyers and negatively promoting it to the press that tarnished the property. This is a man by the way, who embezzled millions, fled to Iran and possibly faked his own death last year. And, you can read into that what you wish. I do not know the man personally.

I'm not from Toronto, but I love the city. If I could afford it, I would absolutely purchase a residence at Trump Toronto. And honestly, Shangri-La, Four Seasons and Ritz-Carlton are all fine properties as well. The fact that all of these luxury hotel brands have definitive hotel/residential properties in Toronto is a great thing for the city and its prominence on the world stage. In the long term, this will do nothing but enhance the city's luxury hotel and real estate reputation.

Last edited:
I am no longer with the project, but I still feel the need to defend the project against the rumors that were spread by The Star and others. Since we launched the project in 2004, the rumor mill has been a constant churn. I've never understood the negativity. I am personally very proud of what we accomplished and the fact that the building was constructed and completed. The dedication, talents and perseverance of everyone associated with the project is commendable (including many dedicated purchasers). It was not easy.

Bottom-line, Talon delivered on the promise of creating a five-star property. Trump Hotel Toronto was awarded a five-star rating by Forbes in January. It has remained at the #1 spot on Tripadvisor for Toronto for the past year and a half. and more recently, was named one of the Top 10 hotels in the world. I don't think the Trump brand has been tarnished by the building. If anything, it is in sync with the Trump Hotel Collection and has enhanced it. I may be biased, but it is an absolutely beautiful property and the staff is incredible.

The hotel, the amenities and The Residences are very well designed, original and of extremely high quality. For those who have been inside the building, or have actually toured the residences, or stayed in the hotel, you know exactly what I am referring to. I don't disagree that there were some challenges with the construction of the building. It was an ambitious project. It was uniquely difficult because of the small footprint, the surrounding properties and the building's height. The high number of weather delays and cost overruns were a challenge to the schedule. In fact, nearly 18 months of time was lost due to weather-related issues (with space available for only one crane and a limited operating space, any inclement weather meant it could not be operated). It was a very expensive building to build. And yes, it is an expensive building to live in. But, keep in mind, it was designed for a particular audience that can afford it.

Regarding the hotel condominiums, contracts were signed by buyers and upon completion, many were unable to close on their units for one reason or another. The change in the real estate environment and the change in the mortgage market was not something within Talon's control. At several points throughout construction of the property purchasers were given an opportunity to opt out, yet continued to sign and approve amendments. It was only once Javad Heydary began soliciting buyers and negatively promoting it to the press that tarnished the property. This is a man by the way, who embezzled millions, fled to Iran and possibly faked his own death last year. And, you can read into that what you wish. I do not know the man personally.

I'm not from Toronto, but I love the city. If I could afford it, I would absolutely purchase a residence at Trump Toronto. And honestly, Shangri-La, Four Seasons and Ritz-Carlton are all fine properties as well. The fact that all of these luxury hotel brands have definitive hotel/residential properties in Toronto is a great thing for the city and its prominence on the world stage. In the long term, this will do nothing but enhance the city's luxury hotel and real estate reputation.

I don't think anyone doubts the hotel is run well, and that the staff are well trained, or that people didn't work hard in helping to make the project happen . Most people here are likely concerned that the architecture is sub par for such a prominent and high end building. My major issues with this tower is that the roof looks poor, the fake cut outs down near the base are horrid as well. I do understand you have personal affection towards the building, being a part of its creation from concept to it being fully realized, but for those of us with more of a outside view looking in, the exterior is what makes people the most annoyed. Windows still not replaced, (has that happened yet)? The ugly mast and antenna with its crow's nest. Mostly, and I can't speak for everyone, but I am sure there are others who feel the same way, the lack of the public art componant (still!) is very frustrating.

If you check out the Trump Toronto Youtube channel, they have some promotional videos of a few Toronto FC players whom are former (or current?) residents of the building.

A shot from today of what is the window washing rig at the top? I didn't know it looked like this:

14731570601_b9094d45bc_z.jpg

Along with the "public art" lighting that has never been turned on, there is *still* a chunk of teal glass missing about ten floors up.

North America's premier hotel rating program is AAA Diamond Awards. The Ritz Carlton and the Four Seasons both have five-diamond status while Trump Toronto has four-diamond status.

North America's premier hotel rating program is AAA Diamond Awards. The Ritz Carlton and the Four Seasons both have five-diamond status while Trump Toronto has four-diamond status.

That's certainly open to debate as Forbes is world-wide and is slightly more stringent than AAA's Diamond awards. Only 90-something properties internationally earned five-stars. From my own personal experience with luxury hotels, the Forbes rating is considered more prestigious. Regardless, earning five-stars or five-diamonds is a note-worthy achievement for any hotel.

Back